Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjns View Post
We are up front, between the gas dock and the travel lift, backing onto the grass. Hope to have it shrink wrapped this week.
I envy your trip this weekend, last time we did a thanksgiving cruise was up to Chemainus (back in the days when we used to hang around with Plumper). Fair winds and following seas.
Any recommendations on sail-makers up that way? It is time to have ours gone over and repairs made as required.
Will stop by if we get a chance.

I don't know the Midland area services very well, so I asked a fellow that maintains a website on Cruising on Georgian Bay . He reccomended Sobstad in Barrie. The only other option I'm aware of is UK Halsey in Collingwood. Other option would be one of the sail lofts in Toronto, closer to home during the week.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
i get my sails and work done at hurricane sails in toronto (neil pride dealer).
they are on cherry street right across the street from the docks nightclub.
their loft is floating on the water.
anything from sails to canvas to repairs.
very reasonable prices,excellent work and the owner is a super nice guy who takes the time to listen to you.in toronto you will find that rare.
the guys name is robert and their number is (416)466-7000.
i just got hauled out yesterday and am in the front line against the grass across from the gas docks.
sucks that i still saw boats sailing up the channel while i was being hauled.
whats the name(s) of your boat(s)?.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 10-09-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2008

Hunter 33 Sunset Chaser, slip 223 almost to the end of the 200 docks.

Last weekend there were quite a few sailboats stiil in the water out the end of the 200 / 300 docks. We're headed up Friday early and will be out for the weekend, probably to Beckwith / Hope area.
Old 10-09-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Jealosy!

Scott--- the photo you posted two days ago of your marina - Was that taken last week? When last I saw Killarney, (August 30 '04) half the boats were shrink wrapped! I plan to take Ragtime up there in '10 for the whole summer (both weeks) Seriously though, I think you guys should quit writing about Georgian Bay and the North Channel. I usually read these threads at work and it makes me drool all over my paperwork! I love that country and cannot wait to get back there. Who knows? I may just rent a slip up there and haul out for the winter. How's that for a commute? It's almost like Martha, the Nautical Fishwife, who lives in or near Kansas City and keeps her boat in Chesapake Bay! Or the couple - her name is Pixie and I don't remember his - that do a travelog on the North Channel at the Chicago Strictly Sail show - They are professors at a college in California (San Diego, I think) and keep theit boat in the North Channel! And to think the original poster was concerned about a two hour trip from Toronto! No problem, mon!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2008

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
I don't know the Midland area services very well, so I asked a fellow that maintains a website on Cruising on Georgian Bay . He reccomended Sobstad in Barrie. The only other option I'm aware of is UK Halsey in Collingwood. Other option would be one of the sail lofts in Toronto, closer to home during the week.
I am new to sailing so can only tell you of my one and only experience having work done on my sail.

When I bought my boat last year, the PO told me that he thought that the (original) main was pooched. The boat is a '79 Nash. He hadn't used it for the previous 2 seasons and suspected that the stitching was shot.

I sailed with the old main all last year. It seemed to be okay, but, not being an expert, I assumed that it would need to be replaced.

I took it into Sobstad in Barrie and asked them to inspect it and either tell me it needed replacing (in which case I would have them do the work) or give me a quote on repairs. A few weeks later I got a bill from them for $126.00 CDN. I was a little pissed as I thought they were charging me for the inspection. I headed down to the loft, ready to bitch. It turns out that they had made any necessary repairs (it was quite a long list, I can't remember all the details right now) and they told me the sail was now in good shape. I asked about treating the old sail, to firm it up. They could have easily gouged me, but they suggested that the small improvement in performance would not justify the cost. I was very impressed by their customer service and ethics.
I had them put together a new main halyard for me and this winter will get all of my halyards replaced by them.
Again, this was my first and only experience with a loft, but I would recommend them to anyone who asks.

Here are their #'s:

220 Bayview Dr., Unit 7
Barrie, Ontario
L4N 4Y8 Canada
Phone: 705 737-3288 and 800 713-9197
Fax: 705 737-5932
Email: Richard Osborn

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 10-10-2008

Don, actually that picture was taken the May long weekend. We don't launch until the ice is out of the Bay just before the July 1st long weekend.

M275 sailor, ( bushrat) I forgot you were on the town dock area. We stayed at the Sportsman for 1 night Fri. Aug 1 and then headed to Baie Fine for 3 nights. I tried docking at the Town Dock for fish & chips on our way back through and attempted to turn around and dock in front of another sailboat already at the dock and with a cross wind blowing me away from the dock. Was interesting. Luckily the owner of the other sailboat was on shore to assist.

Don, just to rub it in some more, this is the desktop on my computer, sunrise on Baie Fine.

Old 10-10-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Unhappy imadummy!

Scott -- it's a beautiful photo, I saved it into my screen saver! My desktop is a photo I took of the boat we chartered and one other boat at anchor, which I took from the top of the hill overlooking Covered Portage Cove. Let's see if I remember how to post it!
No luck - I don't even remember how to log on to photobucket! Forgot my password!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2008

M275sailer is on a distinguished road
If you would have kept drifting away from the town dock you would come along side us at our dock :-)
Old 10-12-2008

jjns is on a distinguished road
Brigadoon Ticon 30
Thanks for the reccomendations, will look into Sobstad, Barrie is just up the road.
Old 10-13-2008

Amazing weekend

just got back from the long weekend..... Turkey Day up in Canada eh

Weather was amazing.... 20 - 25 C and sunny all weekend. We took off Friday to make it a 4 day weekend. This was from Friday heading out below Giants Tomb.