Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008

wnor is on a distinguished road
U.S. Customs procedures on Cape Cod?

After spending many happy hours on the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) website, sailnet.com, and other forums, I remained not 100% clear on Customs' procedures, so I eventually called CBP. Turns out, it appears, that some of the CBP website content is wrong. My wife and I, both U.S. citizens, are planning on returning to the U.S. from Nova Scotia, making landfall at the Cape Cod Canal, then moving on to Connecticut. The CBP website states that Provincetown, MA, is a port of entry, but the P-town Harbormaster says that is not true. Please verify if the following is correct: The port of inspection (apparently that is different from a port of entry) I should use is New Bedford. It is ok to transit the Cape Cod Canal before clearing officialdom (perhaps you get style points for hoisting a Q-flag). I should proceed without stopping through the Canal toward New Bedford. When about one hour out from New Bedford I should call 207-532-2131 ext 255. Of course, I should have all documentation handy for this call such as passport numbers of all aboard, Customs decal number, etc. I will probably get cleared via this call, and I should note the clearance number issued by the officer and the badge number of the officer. If a personal inspection is required, that will take place at the State Pier in front of the Custom's Office in New Bedford. Contrary to the CBP website, call-ins are accepted 24/7 not 0800-1700 Mon - Fri. Easy as that. Have I missed anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I'd just go straight home...is that a bad? I cannot believe that anyone could or would pick your boat of of the horde transiting the Canal on a summer day. On most of my trips Boston-Cape and back I never see a USCG boat, let alone a Customs boat, only the Canal police watching for no-wake violators.
Old 07-09-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Pre 9/11 and Homeland Security and etc I used to bring boats in from the Caribbean to their homeport and call the closest customs office on arrival and they'd clear me in over the phone or come to the boat. And I'd not worry about clearing until you actually came into a port (Ct?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 07-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
wnor-

A 207 area code would indicate a MAINE phone number, not a Massachusetts one.

Quote:
When about one hour out from New Bedford I should call 207-532-2131 ext 255.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2008

wnor is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog, yes, that's right, the number reaches Houlton (?) Maine, not Massachusetts. Apparently this is a centralized office that handles call-ins for all of New England. So, although it seems that you are to proceed toward New Bedford, you do not call New Bedford, you call Maine. One of many sources of my vague suspicion that my understanding of this system may not be correct. See:
New England - CBP.gov
Old 07-10-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
sad to say

while I'm an avid fan of proper procedure when it comes to checking in. I'm sad to say that I don't do it any more. US customs is the most difficult to work with this side of Panama. The answers are never the same when you talk to two different offices. Some say you can call in to clear some say you can't. The user fee decal I thought was supposed to help you clear in but they ask you the same questions any way as if you did not have one. Except for airports I haven't cleared in in 7 years.
Old 07-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Are you a participant in the Nexus program? If not, merely calling isn't going to work for you.

Quote:
Participants in these programs may report their arrival to CBP by calling the number below. Unless directed by a CBP Officer, participants in these programs do not have to report for an in-person inspection.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Scary stuff. I wonder how many unchecked boats enter the country every day. Funsail - I am not trying to pick on you - I understand where you are coming from and you just want to go home and not have the hassle. But what scares me is that I am sure it is not lost on others who might have a darker purpose that this is something that people can usually get away with.
Old 07-10-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
you are quite correct

I started to post what you just said but thought it would rapidly get off topic. I have lived in the keys for 15 years and read about human cargo smuggling almost everyday. There are hundreds and I do mean hundreds of people successfully brought to south Florida every year. That is a scary thought.
Old 07-26-2008

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Are you a participant in the Nexus program? If not, merely calling isn't going to work for you.

Quote:
Participants in these programs may report their arrival to CBP by calling the number below. Unless directed by a CBP Officer, participants in these programs do not have to report for an in-person inspection.
Sailingdog, the evidence you provided does not support your claim. The fact that members of "alternative inspection programs" may report by calling in does not imply that anybody who is not a member may not report by calling in (even if it does informally hint at the fact).

I make this point, not [solely] out of a desire to be pedantic, but also because it speaks to a situation I was in this morning/last night.

I arrived late at Point Roberts, WA, having sailed from Vancouver, BC. I called the number for after-hours reporting listed on a sign at the marina, and was redirected to another office, which took my information and told me to wait for an inspection at 8am the following morning, because I was not a NEXUS/I-68 member. I called the following morning and was told that they had no record of my entry, so I went through the twenty-questions again, and inspectors arrived at the customs dock at 9pm and issued me a warning.

Apparently, they said, I was not permitted to call in to report. The warning they issued did not say this, however, and upon request they could not show me in the warning where it said what I had done that I was not supposed to do, or what I omitted that was required. They also could not tell me what the correct procedure for non NEXUS/I-68 members arriving after-hours was. They did say that "Point Roberts is not the right kind of port for that," (paraphrased), though PR is listed as a port of inspection on the CBP website.

The CBP officers were very courteous in a "I don't understand what I'm doing I'm just doing my job" sort of way, and tried to convince me that there was no problem and I wasn't in trouble; I was just being issued a warning. I tried to explain that if you only get one warning for doing something that is not disallowed, then the first warning is half a punishment... but I don't think I got the point across.

Anyway, as much as I don't like sticking myself into one more government database, I will probably sign up for NEXUS, if only to make it easier for customs folks to do their jobs. If anybody happens to know what *IS* the correct procedure for after-hours reporting for non-Nexus members in Washington state, I'd love to hear it. Also, I'll be writing to the CBP to get some clarification, and will post what I find out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.