Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008

mtschindler is on a distinguished road
Internet Access

What are the options for Internet access between Ft Lauderdale and BVI?
I understand that once in BVI most places you can get connected on wireless network.
Please set me straight if I'm day dreaming.

Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Are you talking about getting internet access on the water, out sailing, at anchor or at the dock? Wifi is becoming a more common option at the dock. Elsewhere, your options are probably, in order of increasing expense, cellular or satellite phone or dedicated satellite.

For cellular, you can either use a tethered cell phone, via bluetooth or USB, or a dedicated cellular modem card.

For satellite, you can use a tethered handheld satellite phone. Speeds are fairly limited, and far slower than a 3G cellular connection, but available in more places.

You could also get a gyro stabilized high-speed satellite system, but they're very, very expensive and both handheld and gyro stabilized satellite systems will generally charge per megabyte. The cellular plans, at least in the USA, are often flat rate per month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2008

mtschindler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Are you talking about getting internet access on the water, out sailing, at anchor or at the dock?
All of the above
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
For cellular, you can either use a tethered cell phone, via bluetooth or USB, or a dedicated cellular modem card.
How far offshore you get the signal. I use my blackberry for a tethered modem.
Mark
Old 07-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on the cellular network, where they have their antennae located and if you use an external antennae or not. An amplified antenna on the mast is going increase your range a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtschindler View Post
How far offshore you get the signal. I use my blackberry for a tethered modem.
Mark

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you are going offshore the only option for internet is satellite gyro like KVH which runs about $5k to install and at LEAST $1k per month in access fees.

You can do TEXT only e-mail through a sat phone or SSB

ALL harbors have wireless access or internet cafes.
Old 07-11-2008
Telstar 28

Cam-

You can do full internet access through a satellite phone. I used to set them up for reporters going abroad, and they were able to FTP photos back to us... so full internet access is available via satellite phone.

For coastal cruising, at least in the USA, the cellular option might be workable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
If you are going offshore the only option for internet is satellite gyro like KVH which runs about $5k to install and at LEAST $1k per month in access fees.

You can do TEXT only e-mail through a sat phone or SSB

ALL harbors have wireless access or internet cafes.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dawg...well you can do 9600 baud...but I don't call that full access. Fine for email and some ftp stuff but I've done 9600 on my cell phone and internet was simply too painful. Funny...I still remember my FAST 9600 baud modem...course it was a text and cga world back then!

I believe Iridium is only 4800 with Gstar 9600 and you lose the signal every 10 minutes!
BethLeonard & Evans S. use Iridium to send in pix and stories but at $1.50 a minute or so...even that can get expensive at 4800!
Old 07-11-2008
Telstar 28

Yes, the Iridium/Globalstar phones do only 9600, but some of the Inmarsat ones do 128Kbps or 256Kbps and effectively provide an ISDN equivalent broadband connection. However, these are considerably more money, since they require a external antenna and need to be gyro stabilized.

BTW, first modem I owned was an Andersen Jacobsen 110 baud Acoustic Coupler.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-11-2008
Northeast 25 O'day Owner

Birdface will become famous soon enough
Damn Dog, now you're dating yourself!

Mine was a 1200 baud Hayes Modem. I had a coupler, but it was CRAP.

Ahhh I can still remember how happy I was when Y and Zmodem protocols were released.

Hello Sailor: "I've just learned that good boats, in good hands, are damned robust creations."
Old 07-11-2008
Telstar 28

Shoot... Y-modem and Z-modem are relatively new protocols...I remember when X-modem was introduced...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdface View Post
Damn Dog, now you're dating yourself!

Mine was a 1200 baud Hayes Modem. I had a coupler, but it was CRAP.

Ahhh I can still remember how happy I was when Y and Zmodem protocols were released.

Telstar 28
New England