Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Galapagos fees increase

Galapagos fees increase, more restrictions for visiting yachts
The Galapagos Yacht Agency wrote recently of alarming rumors of permit fee increases is the Galapagos Islands. In early March 2008, as many yachts gathered in Panama before the Pacific crossing, there were two distinct options for visiting the Galapagos Islands with your own boat. As reported to Noonsite.com:

On arrival, the park allows you 20 days in one port of Galapagos. This can be the port of Santa Cruz, San Cristobel, Isabella or Floreana. You may visit only one port with this permit. From the port you can then use local cruise boats to tour the islands. For this there you have to pay the park entrance fee of $100 per head and also the fees for navy and immigration.

If you wish to navigate the island in your own boat then you have to obtain a special permit called an ?autograph permit?. This allows you 15 days to travel in the national park areas, the cost of this is $200 per day/ per head for the days in national park areas, plus the $100 park entrance fee, navy fees and also GOS fees for obtaining the autograph permit.

The main change recently is that is not possible to navigate between the inhabited ports without the autograph permit.

If you do not wish to obtain the autograph permit then it is recommended to come straight to Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, where you can find many agencies offering day tours, weeks cruises and diving tours
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Freesail99; 07-12-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Don't go near it.
A crew of 4 will pay $800 a day to look at the place????
What????
Avoid it.
They will learn.
Come to Scotland. You will not get ripped off like that. And the wind blows.
Old 07-13-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
I can understand some increase in fees, and certain restrictions. I mean, this is one of the most unique places on Earth, and I am glad that they are taking steps to protect it.

But, those fees are crazy huge.

I haven't done any research yet, but I hope that there are some ways around it, which will bring more money to the locals that live there, and not feed politician salary. Maybe it should be like a few US National Parks... you have to apply for a permit, and only a certain, sustainable amount are available per year, for wandering boats, and not at those costs.

This is one place thats on my 5 or 10 year plan to visit. I guess now I need to save more money for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2008

purplemoon is on a distinguished road
Paying that much in fees is insane! We are currently in Equador heading toward Easter Island, and have been thinking about heading toward Gallapagos. Good info none the less, i guess we will just head toward the Solomon Islands instead.
Old 08-11-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I'm glad the information helped.
Old 08-11-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Although I think the fees are very high, I would pay it and happily. It is my dream destination on my own boat. If you saw what I paid to keep two boys fed, you would think that pennies!!!!

I also understand that there are A LOT of restrictions on taht idland about where you can and cannot go. They have been talking about doing something there for a long time.

Of course, these are all rumors from a guy that would LOVE to visit there. There really is no place like it on Earth. Could it be said that Easter Island was the Galapagos before it was destroyed by man?

I don't know. Others know better.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-11-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Several years ago I was fortunate enough to visit the Galapagos on a privately owned sailboat. There were six of us on the boat plus the naturalist for two weeks. A typical day would be to spend the morning hiking-afternoons in the water or sailing the boat to another location. There were days that what I was obseving literally brought tears to my eyes. The beauty was astounding and something I'll not soon forget. The rules are strict and they enforce them to the letter. I would hate to think what would happen to this treasure if it were open season to anyone. Over the course of the next month I'll try and locate my journal and some photos and write a bit more. Every day I was there I felt a twinge of guilt that my family was not there to share in the experience. Photos and words cannot do justice to the wildlife, sealife and landscape in the Galapagos. It is a gift ... a treasure ... and I will forever be grateful for the experience given to me.

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37

Last edited by NauticalFishwife; 08-11-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: trying to post photos... I'll try again.
Old 08-11-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticalFishwife View Post
Several years ago I was fortunate enough to visit the Galapagos on a privately owned sailboat. There were six of us on the boat plus the naturalist for two weeks. A typical day would be to spend the morning hiking-afternoons in the water or sailing the boat to another location. There were days that what I was obseving literally brought tears to my eyes. The beauty was astounding and something I'll not soon forget. The rules are strict and they enforce them to the letter. I would hate to think what would happen to this treasure if it were open season to anyone. Over the course of the next month I'll try and locate my journal and some photos and write a bit more. Every day I was there I felt a twinge of guilt that my family was not there to share in the experience. Photos and words cannot do justice to the wildlife, sealife and landscape in the Galapagos. It is a gift ... a treasure ... and I will forever be grateful for the experience given to me.

Just gotta rub it in, eh??? (smile)

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-11-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Four reasons to visit...

Brian... you and your family would love it... I'll post more photos and journal notes later...

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37
Old 08-12-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Look forward to it.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: