Please recomend a blue water cruiser for around 10K - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodesSwiftsure View Post
Believe it or not, how a boat makes it's way around the world depends on it's skipper and/or it's crew. The boat virtually always manages to stay afloat.

Apart from plunging into the southern ocean, almost any vessel currently afloat will get you from one port to the next with reasonable planning. For goodness sakes, people have done both the Atlantic and the Pacific in 6 foot boats (and many of those passages have been done with no supplies).

If you want to try and go against prevailing winds for some kind of crazy record, good luck.

Otherwise, learn how your boat works, provision well, and sail sensibly. In principle, you can go anywhere in a dinghy, and anyone who tells you otherwise is either trying to sell you something or is trying to justify a recent purchase.
Thanks RS...IM vindicated...Always knew my Irwin was a solid offshore world cruiser..now just need one bit of info from you...where can I always sail on a beam reach and avoid any nasty head winds to make sure she dosent bust apart..

Last edited by Stillraining; 07-20-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2008

dell30rb is on a distinguished road
i'm in a similar situation

I'm planning on buying a boat with a friend who I've sailed with for a couple years. We both had sailing dinghies growing up but have sold them and are looking for something we can do some serious cruising on. Between the two of us we have plenty of "sweat equity" and know-how (my friend works for pacific seacraft, and we have a mutual friend whose family owns a canvas shop). We're both college students now and broke, and we've determined that the best way for us to get a good boat on a budget is to buy one that needs work. These are usually better deals because the owner probably quit sailing, or bought a new boat and just dosen't want to deal with it, so they're willing to sell cheap.

Anyway one peice of advice, probably the best way to get a good boat on a tight budget (obviously this is not possible for everyone) is to move to a sailing town and get a job at a local marina, or boat yard. You'll meet alot of people who you might find are surprisingly willing to help you find, or work on a boat. And you just might find that $1000 "just get it off my property" gem of a bluewater cruiser.
Old 07-22-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
You gotta love youthful exuberance!
I own a Tartan 27' that we got for $4K from an owner desperate to get rid of his second and older boat. While it is considered a coastal cruiser it is a well made boat but being older it requires more care and maintenance. I know of one T27 owner who sailed his boat from Europe to the South Pacific, IIRC.
It is not my idea of an ocean voyager but it is a good solid boat as are Pacific Seacraft and CS models which will be more expensive.
There are a lot of maintenance issues that come up with older boats such as engine health, chain plate and rigging integrity and thru hulls that you do not want to find out about when you are 100+ miles off any coast in any kind of rough sea.
The guy who took his T27 to the South Pacific modified it for ocean cruising and added a lot of electronics etc. to the boat.
Nice dream and I hope you find the boat that was looking for you.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2008

RhodesSwiftsure is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Thanks RS...IM vindicated...Always knew my Irwin was a solid offshore world cruiser..now just need one bit of info from you...where can I always sail on a beam reach and avoid any nasty head winds to make sure she dosent bust apart..
Check the weather forecast and be prudent?

You do not have to be Larry Pardey to realize that a boat will do just fine in any ocean on the planet provided you don't jump into something beyond the pale.

There are, of course, differences between boats. But it's people and dispositions that make the difference when the going gets tough, not displacement ratios and the precise chemical formula of the resin under your feet.
Old 07-23-2008

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
I don't know about the attitude that any boat will work. Sounds like someone who has never been out at sea!!!!! Even on a lake there are remarkable differences in boats. I have watched the Catalina 22s getting beat upwhile my Pearson is just beginning to get lively. Even if a light boat doesn't fall aprt it will beat up it's occupants more than a heavy boat. Many ideals just don't hold up when you do a reality check. A few hundred miles off shore is a bad place to findout that your boat does poorly in big waves and high winds!!!!!
Old 07-23-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodesSwiftsure View Post
Check the weather forecast and be prudent?

You do not have to be Larry Pardey to realize that a boat will do just fine in any ocean on the planet provided you don't jump into something beyond the pale.

There are, of course, differences between boats. But it's people and dispositions that make the difference when the going gets tough, not displacement ratios and the precise chemical formula of the resin under your feet.
RS...These are eloquent words to be sure...but mans best attempts at avoiding Gods creation ( I hate mother nature ) head on at times is delusional at best..I concede that there is an element of man that is content with all risks..however on this forum we strive to offer sound advice that puts the element of success in the favor of thoes getting the advice..To say my Irwin is a blue water capable boat is just ignoring the facts otherwise..Ted Irwin if alive today would tell you so...Have they made passages? yes for sure they have but thats not what they were built structurally for..

I once put two bullets from a 270 Winchester into first the shoulder of a 10'3" brown Bear at 40 feet the second shot was in his ear at 6'... yes six feet...there would not have been a 3rd shot!...a 270 is not the encouraged weapon of choice to go hunting Brown bear on Kodiak Island Alaska ( We were deer Hunting ) will it work yes...was it a close call...TOO CLOSE.

Buy/Recomend the right tool for the job.
Old 07-23-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Umm, MacGregor 26'

The minute I stepped aboard a MacG 26 S I decided it was lightweight for the job of heavy seas. My friend and I took one on the ocean for 50 miles from Fire Island Inlet to NYC nonetheless (some 50 nm along the Atlantic coast). I have seen people recommend this type of boat for cruising the Bahamas which is 'outside' and blue water on various forums. It can be done but is it safe or well advised?
Then there is this young Hungarian guy who has sailed his 22' boat out of the Med to the South Pacific. Sailing Alone Around the World with Carina (19 ft boat)
I ask you whether you are up to the task on a limited boat?
You could try it on a Sunfish and likely not make it but the QM III as Sway suggested would most likely get you there without half of the headaches.
Otherwise we take my Tartan 27'.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
So my $800 Catalina 22 will make it from Miami to Fiji!

COOL... I'm on my way! (actually I'm waiting for still raining to tell me his boss needs a pilot and I'll sail her to the PNW! (The long way around!)

Ok, I'm kidding, my C-22 will never see the outside of Biscayne Bay unless its a REALLY nice day! She's a bay boat..

Buy enough boat for the job!

(of course I am joking above!)
Old 07-24-2008

RhodesSwiftsure is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
..To say my Irwin is a blue water capable boat is just ignoring the facts otherwise..Ted Irwin if alive today would tell you so...Have they made passages? yes for sure they have but thats not what they were built structurally for..
I'm not suggesting that the boat makes no difference ("there are differences between boats"). What I am trying (apparently quite badly) to point out is that people have made huge crossings in tiny little things and lived to tell the tale. If you stack bad weather and poor seamanship on top of a crappy craft, well, best of luck. But good sailing and being patient with the weather are just as crucial (if not more) than the vessel. There is no "perfect" blue water craft formula; there are trade offs.

Also, good job on that second shot
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Webb Chiles made it 7/8's of the way around the world or so in a Drascombe Lugger, which is an 18' open boat—no cabin, no motor. I don't think it was what I'd call fun or relaxing...but he's a good enough sailor to pull it off. I don't think I'd even try. That doesn't make the Drascombe Lugger a bluewater boat in any way or form—although Webb did accomplish some major bluewater passages in one.

There are many small sailboats that with some modification would be somewhat suitable for a bluewater passage. No boat is going to be perfect for a bluewater passage, especially if your budget is only $10,000. The smaller the boat, the more prudent it is to wait for a decent weather, and to account for what historically happens during a given time of year.

The Cape Dory 36 is probably one of the better bluewater capable boats below 40', but one from my homeport just got its butt kicked tangling with a named storm. The captain had to be rescued by the Canadian Coast Guard during a West-to-East trans-Atlantic attempt. Does this mean a Cape Dory isn't suitable... NO... Does it mean that trying to outrun a named storm in a Cape Dory 36 is stupid... probably.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.