SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   zura73 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/45479-zura73.html)

zura73 07-29-2008 09:40 PM

zura73

I would like to cross the atlantic by sail boat,but i do not know much about boats.so can anybody give me some advice what kinde of boat i need.how long it has to be,what is the best direction and time of the year to do this and so on thank you very much:) :)

buckeyesailor 07-29-2008 09:59 PM

This oughta be good.........:D

sailingdog 07-29-2008 10:11 PM

LOL.... I hope the OP isn't serious.... or he is looking to win a Darwin.

HoneyDoII 07-29-2008 10:20 PM

I'll start...
Right now would be a bad time ... i.e. Hurricane Season. If you're in a hurry I suggest a ticket on the QE-2.
Maybe if you elaborate a little on your experience, budget, number of crew going with you (their experience) ...

sailortjk1 07-29-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

so can anybody give me some advice
Umm......... don't do it.

Seriously, crossing the Atlantic is a very treacherous undertaking and one not to be taking lightly. It takes many years of experience and knowledge. From the sound of your post, it doesn't sound like your there. I could be wrong. If its your desire to sail across the Atlantic, I suguest you go slow.

zura73 07-29-2008 10:29 PM

no i'm not in a hurry.i'm planning to learn ewerything i need first,but also i have to buy the boat.and i need somebody to tell me what to buy to go to europe.

sailingdog 07-29-2008 10:44 PM

Zura-

In all seriousness... there are plenty of boats that can make a passage to Europe. Some are better suited than others... almost all are tougher than the people on the boats. Preparation of the sailor is IMHO just as important than the boat.

If you're really curious, go to the library and take a look at Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes. The book has recommended dates and routes for passages from the Americas to Europe. I'd also recommend you read a few books on long-distance passage making. Beth Leonard's The Voyager's Handbook would be a good starting place.

A good example of a sailor not having the necessary preparation would probably be Ken Barnes and his aborted attempt to round the tip of South America. You can read his logs here. One of the more telling quotes from his log is:

Quote:

Well after trying for a while, in my muttled condition, to figure out which way to turn the autopilot to head downwind I finally started to get things sorted out, in my head, now for the boat. First of all I knew there was a large low pressure system ahead of me when I went to sleep but I had been watching these lows and they all seemed to pass by rather quickly, usually in about 24 hours so my thinking was this one will pass and I will get in behind it, I thought wrong. This low decided to camp out for 3 days and as I slept I wandered right into it.
Setting your autopilot should be near instinctive if you're planning on a voyage of this magnitude.

camaraderie 07-29-2008 10:49 PM

Zura...there is a bluewater boat list sticky on the buying a boat thread. All of the boats listed there are capable of getting a good captain to Europe or killing a bad captain.

Dare I ask what your budget is??

zura73 07-29-2008 11:07 PM

i w'd spend about 75-80.000

camaraderie 07-29-2008 11:32 PM

In that case, I'd plan on spending 50 on the boat and 25 on fixing her up and prepping. Lots of good solid boats in that price range. Search yachtworld.com with that price range and then look for brands/models that are on the bluewater list i noted above....till you see one you fall in love with.