Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008

gskgsadz is on a distinguished road
Work while I cruise? Internet question

I currently play online poker for a living. I'm just coming to the realization that I've been dragging my feet about settling down and buying a house since I feel like I'm not fully utilizing the fact that I can work pretty much anywhere I want. I have always planned on buying a sailboat when I retired and living aboard/traveling, but I'm beginning to think sooner rather than later would be best.

So, would it be possible to get internet reliably enough to play poker while aboard? Online poker doesn't require that much bandwidth, but the signal does need to be steady. I also would need to use it for long periods of time, so I likely wouldn't want anything that charges per minute. I've seen some mentions of setting up satellite, but warnings of it being very expensive. If thats something that would work for my scenario, its probably a cost I would pay. Constant internet would be ideal so I could literally work anywhere, but a setup where I knew of spots where I could moor and work/relax for extended periods of time before I move on would work also.

My initial guess is I'd want to cruise around the Caribbean to start, but I would like to gradually broaden my travels, with aspirations of doing an extended trip around the world in the far far future. Wouldn't really be planning on working while sailing If I was doing any long travel, but I'd like to have the option to work anytime I am docked. Plenty of other things I would need to figure out before making this a reality, but I feel like I need to have this part figured out before I go ahead and set the plan in motion.

thanks. sorry in advance if internet connectivity seems like a rehash to some, did find a couple of threads with good info, but not enough to let me know if it would work for my specific situation. Also curious to hear from any others who use their boat as a home office.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
GSK... as you know...satellite based interconnectivity is hugely expensive bth installation wise and on a monthly basis. Sat phone based connections are very low bandwidth and intermittent and moderately expensive.
Fortunately...cell phone "air cards" are very reasonable and reliable options when travelling in the States and Europe. They are not a good option in the Bahamas or Caribe.
Wifi on a subcription basis ($50-$100 per month) or open and free wifi is available throughout the Bahams and Caribe except in the more remote harbors.
So...I think you can quite easily do what you want to with a little planning and a willingness to play in port rather than on the seas ...and staying close to civilization when you need to draw to an inside straight!