SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Pretty Scary Way to End Your Cruise (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/46051-pretty-scary-way-end-your-cruise.html)

danielgoldberg 08-14-2008 09:48 AM

Pretty Scary Way to End Your Cruise

Shipwrecked on a reef surrounded by sharks after losing your $1.6MM boat . . .

Millionaire British yachtsman plucked from shark-infested Australian waters | Mail Online

TxLnghrn 08-14-2008 11:19 AM

Master of Understatement

'Nowhere is nice to smash into a reef, but if I had to choose somewhere I would say that this was as good a place as any,' said Mr Turner.

I cannot believe there is any American yachtsman that would state things like that. I say we put this guy up for gentleman of the century. :D

CalebD 08-14-2008 11:56 AM

Understatement is not an American strong point

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxLnghrn (Post 354048)
'Nowhere is nice to smash into a reef, but if I had to choose somewhere I would say that this was as good a place as any,' said Mr Turner.

I cannot believe there is any American yachtsman that would state things like that. I say we put this guy up for gentleman of the century. :D

You can't believe it for good reason: he is British. "The former Commodore of the West Stockwith Yacht Club, South Yorks, and his companion..."

My guess is that they made a spot of tea before getting into the life raft. They probably saved their Gin as well.

kai34 08-14-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxLnghrn (Post 354048)

I think thats the kind of skipper i would want to sail for. glad to hear that they are safe.

Boasun 08-14-2008 03:49 PM

The question is: Why did they hit that Reef? Did they lose the Situation awareness of where they were at?

danielgoldberg 08-14-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boasun (Post 354167)
The question is: Why did they hit that Reef? Did they lose the Situation awareness of where they were at?

Skipper claims it was uncharted.

Huge sucker, ran the whole coast. Not my boat, my boss' boat.

sailortjk1 08-14-2008 04:02 PM

"You've heard of it?"

Grotius 08-14-2008 04:30 PM

I was intrigued by the slightly off-topic sentences at the very end of the report:

Quote:

The east coast of Australia has been the location of numerous rescue dramas and mystery disappearances.

In recent times two American divers vanished, feared consumed by sharks, after their dive boat returned to shore without them.

Last month an American man was charged with murdering his wife during a dive, leaving her body on the sea bed.
I've snorkeled off the east coast of Oz with my wife, but we both lived to tell the tale. :)

Sapperwhite 08-14-2008 04:37 PM

I hate that "newspaper". Is there an editor on staff, or is it run by a freshman highschool English class?

Quote:

The pair had been competing in a round the world yacht race, which started in the Caribbean in January and is due to finish back there in March next year, when they smashed into the reef in early morning darkness.

They were forced to abandon the luxury 50ft cruising yacht after it turned on to its side and started taking in water.

They put out a distress call and transferred to the life raft to await help. Mr Turner said it was his first rescue after sailing for thousands of miles around the world. He said the yacht is now unsalvageable.

The former Commodore of the West Stockwith Yacht Club, South Yorks, and his companion were taking part in a round the world yacht race, which started in the Caribbean in January and is due to finish back in the West Indies in March next year.
I didn't catch that the second time, mind telling me again the particulars of where they were coming from, and where they were going. Huh, what's that timeline?

Enough ranting. Good to hear they all got out of it safe.

PS, Grotius beat me to it....

danielgoldberg 08-14-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortjk1 (Post 354177)
"You've heard of it?"

Smart lady.