Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm not surprised about that, since much of the roll stability in a ballasted monohull comes from the mast's roll inertia. With the mast down by the deck, it has very little roll inertia compared to when it is standing upright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Had a chat with a couple in Tobermory. They re-stepped (coming north) at a town on the Canadian side of Lake Erie to save money vs the high cost of marinas around Tonawanda. They regretted it. Said the ride across lake Erie with the mast lashed above was miserable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
A few hints

I have done this trip several times (including with the monster mast of a Nonsuch 30 with huge overhangs) and here are few things that I have learned.
- You can take your mast down in Sodus but you really would want to have ideal conditions to motor from Sodus to Oswego.
- I have not used the mast delivery service that Collins Bay Marina provides, but knowing how Hub runs things it will be first rate in planning and execution. Having said that, you should not be intimidated by going through the canal with the mast down.
- The people who take the mast down at Oswego Marina are very skilled and sometimes will charge by the length of the boat rather than the length of the mast. Otherwise their charges are very high.
- You can stay at the Oswego YC and avoid the overnight charge at the marina assuming that you cannot get started on the canal until the next morning.
- Making mast supports is not really that hard and there is no one way to do it. I have had good success with two substantial supports (2x4 with plywood gussets (think that is the word). Prefab this at home and take the pieces with you for assembly. I had a strong bow pulpit so rested the end of the mast on it with an old flotation cushion between, although there was not too much weight on it.
- When manoeuvring with the mast down don't forget about what is behind you (ask me how I know) and be sure to take instruments off.
- You can communicate with lockmasters with a handheld VHF, we found that calling them with a cellphone was even better; in general they see you coming and you do not need to even call them
- If you are familiar with doing your own mast, the setup at Castleton is great with the exception that there can be problems with wake since it is on the open river. The price is low and there generally is more than one boat there at a time masting so you can share the workload; their crane is massive and easy to use
- You can mark your mast cradle materials (best to disasssemble) with boat name and return date (if you are coming in June 09 say Sept) and put them behind the club house.
- Really the only tricky bit is crossing Lake Oneida. You go the length of the lake (~20 miles) and it is very shallow and blows up easily. Even small waves (one foot) seem very close together and square so watch your weather; it is good to do it early in the morning.
- A final thought about securing the mast - the problem is not the mast moving sideways, any reasonable cradle will stop that; it is the mast pumping back and forward when you encounter waves or wakes. Really tie the mast well fore and aft so it cannot move. We find that a spider web approach between mast and deck fittings works well, rather than just one or two bigger lines

If you have any questions let me know. We are Canadians but are now living on our boat in Jersey City (across from Manhattan)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook