Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joe's suggestion of looking to Mystic Seaport isn't a bad idea at all.. probably worth a phone call at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2008
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road
Interesting......fact is I've wanted to go to Mystic so bad I'm thinking it might be worth a trip there . Thanks for the tip . I'm still leaning towards the bronze wheel hub stamped " Skipjack 1932 "
Old 11-26-2008

Spending the day preparing for a single hand Thanksgiving Day sail . I'm real anxious to test the way I re-rigged the uphaul on my yankee sail so I don't have to wander out on the bowspirit to launch it . That's really the only part of the operation of Skipjack that's made me nervous . I built a box in my GPS so I can at a glance tell I'm in good water . As long as I'm in the box I can wander at will practicing manuvering . It's supposed to be a nice day albeit a little cool . This Thanksgiving I have a lot to be thankful for . Mostly I'm thankful to be free & I can think of no better way to celebrate that then a Skipjack sail . Happy Thanksgiving everyone .
Old 11-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kjango-

On some of the older bowsprit rigged boats, I've seen netting under the bowsprit to catch those clumsy enough to slip and fall... might want to consider doing something similar for yours.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-26-2008

Thanks for the tip dog . Like I said it's the only part of the boat that's made me a bit nervous & for that reason since I've had Skipjack if the yankee gets launched......I'm the one up there . I won't let anyone else up there . I've seen my problem fixed with whiskers & netting just like you said & that may bee the answer , but if it is it won't be an answer until after the boat is hauled caulked & painted next year . What I like about the solution you suggested is that it's consistant with trying to keep the Skipjack looking period .
Old 11-26-2008
Telstar 28

Glad to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
Thanks for the tip dog . Like I said it's the only part of the boat that's made me a bit nervous & for that reason since I've had Skipjack if the yankee gets launched......I'm the one up there . I won't let anyone else up there . I've seen my problem fixed with whiskers & netting just like you said & that may bee the answer , but if it is it won't be an answer until after the boat is hauled caulked & painted next year . What I like about the solution you suggested is that it's consistant with trying to keep the Skipjack looking period .

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-28-2008

seamans is on a distinguished road
Hey Kjango

Will be down on Sat to try and get Java out of the water. Will stop if you are around.
Old 11-28-2008

I'll be looking for you & Miss Jennifer Jim
Old 11-28-2008

OK ....I think the electrical problem is fixed . Looks like it was just the battery terminals needed cleaning . Whew !!! Of all the problems I can have I am most intimidated by electrical problems . Electricity is like " white man's magic " to me . ( no racial slur intended ) Consequently I am always way pleased ever when I have even a modicum of success with electrical issues . That issue now having been addressed I'll set my sights on taking her out Sunday weather permiting . I would have no confidence at all trying to dock under sail . If I had to thought I guess I'd get it done somehow . Maybe just come in dirt slow under just the yankee . I know people do it all the time but I wonder how many here would have the same issue as me docking under sail with no engine .
Old 11-28-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
kjango, I used to dock my Victory 21 with sails-only everythine. At least I did after the old Seagull engine decided to not start anymore. It was definitely fun and became easier over time. For the Beneteau 505 it's another story altogether. I haven't had her that long and haven't even tried to dock under sail only. Yet. Navigating the turns to get into a slip is different than sailing up to an end dock. That and the forces involved are much bigger.