Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road
Hi Brad ,
I do have internet aboard & well fixed for heat . Sometimes the signal is a bit spotty but other then that ............. The first year went quick . The honeymoon is over , but I still fall in love with the boat a couple times a week . The last 3 weeks or so I've given up sailing & been all paint & varnish . I completely re-did the aft bulkhead . I took everthing off it sanded it & then 3 coats of fresh paint . I took the wood cleat that had been painted for years down to bare wood & gave it 6 coats of varnish . After that was done I sanded the cockpit deck & gave it 3 coats of fresh paint as well . The helm & the wheel also got 6 coats of varnish . I'm presently in the process of replacing the entire panel in the front of the cockpit with a piece of 100 year old plus oak I was gifted . I have the panel cut out & put the 4th coat of varnish on it last night . With everything I've varnished I've left the weathering or patina if you will intact . I made no attempts at bleaching or staining . To me it looks more interesting . The oak panel I'm working on now has some very interesting little dings in it that turned black with the varnish creating a nice effect . When she's done she'll look like she came original with the boat . When I finish this latest project I'm going to reward myself with a day of sailing . Maybe two . After a year aboard I'm not exactly as far a long as I envisioned owing to the failing economy . The little company I still own out West is not doing well at all , but this is as good a situation as I could have imagined for weathering the storm . It's a peaceful & simple life . I'm happy to awake every morning to a world of prospects instead of a myriad of " issues ". How was your season ??? Were you able to get out much ??? I got out as much as I could & benefited from the experience . Even with little money we ( the Skipjack & I ) have done so well that I can only imagine how good it will be when the economy begins to rebound . Hope this finds you & yours doing well & prospering .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Kjango, it sounds like you have your course set for a good winter. I hope you have some new books to read. Any new plans for spring and beyond? All the best Turkey Day to you and Skipjack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2009
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road
Hi Joe ,
How's that foot ??? I did reward myself with a day sailing the Sunday before the big storm . Flat water & light winds , but I managed to make 5-5 & a half knots all day . A little hard getting the sails up by myself with no one on the helm but after I got them up I spent almost no time with my hand on the wheel all day . She pretty much sailed herself all day . Way nice day by myself out on the water . Made it through the storm ok . If a guy wants to feel really manly all he has to do is rear up on his hind legs & prevail in the face of adversity & do it on a sailboat in a storm......lol Best regards ......hope this finds you & yours doing well & prospering .