Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008
Liveaboard Cruiser

kenalewis is on a distinguished road
Kjango
Very nice of Joe to send the chartlet with waypoints. However, I question the wisdom of making that offshore passage singlehanded in October. The route takes you right across some very active shipping lanes. You might be better off taking the Long Island Sound route as someone has suggested, so you have some stopover points if you become fatigued or bad weather sets in. You can break the lower end of the trip down into manageable bits such as Manhasset Bay, to Atlantic Highlands, to Absecon, to Cape May, and then follow Joes route from there. This is not a cakewalk, it gets nice and chilly after October 1st, and remains so all the way down the coast and up into the Delaware waters. I believe you would be much better off taking the stops, get rested and warm each day. In October it'll be chilly all the way until you get through the C&D canal (drop a hook in the Sassafras River, it's nice there). All of these stops have diesel, water, and pumpouts. Atlantic Highlands also has parts, mechanic, etc, and convenient provisioning. You want to be fresh and alert in the Delaware Bay and River, this is a high traffic area also (commercial and pleasure). Also remember that there's less daylight each day in the fall and you won't want to be anchoring single handed in the dark anywhere, especially if the areas are unknown to you.
My 2 Cents,
Good luck!
Ken
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road
Thanks Ken . I'm so far behind time wise from the storms I don't think I'll really plan anything til I'm actually on board . Right now ..... I'm so looking forward to just hanging out & eating & sleeping a few days before I make any moves . Even as I write this it's 4:30 am & I'm just heading for a bed that I will have to leave in 2 hours . I'm back in Mich now taking care of the business I left to go deal with hurricanes . I'll be lucky if I get there by 10/01 ........but......I'm so glad to be gone from where I was .
Old 09-23-2008
Orange is the new black.

Well.....10/01 was a pretty good guess . I'll be leaving here 10/01 & finally onboard the weekend of the 4th . I'll have 7 days before I have to be off the mooring in Mass. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful fall this year . Being on the move has been restorative . Being in hurricane Ike gave me some perspective . I can tell I've been here too long . I can recognise the coyotes here at night by their voices .
Old 09-27-2008
Orange is the new black.

Well.....here I am again . Looks like my arrival date onboard is firm . I now see the East coast is getting some weather . My boat is now in Onset Mass. & my end goal plan is to somehow get it to Cobb Island for the winter . My time constraints have eased considerably as has my perspective on reality . I haven't set foot on a deck in 35 years & other then drift boats & white water rafts haven't handled any boats in that time either . I can take as long as I want to get to Cobb instead of the original 10 days I previously stated & in as many legs as need be as long as each leg ends up at either a mooring or transient slip . The boat is a 39' wood cutter . Hull & rigging are sound & engine runs like a top . Boat is also insured . I am 60 years old & not so sound....but in good health & very physical......so I don't need nursemaiding......just help moving the boat South . I can feed us & keep us in fuel . So if anyone who knows how to drive a boat wants to go sailing.....even on short notice & even if it just moves me 20 miles down the coast......oh baby would I appreciate the help . I can be contacted at jc07smith@aol.com . You have to make sure you use the numerical zero in the 07 part . Looking forward to hearing from anyone here that can help push me South a bit . Thanks......Jim
Old 10-03-2008
Orange is the new black.

I finally made it onboard . I can hardly believe it . Wrapped myself in my trade blanket & slept in the cockpit moored in the bay last night . Light shower for maybe 10 minutes even felt good . I'm finally in my new home & resting . The last owner is coming in the morning to take me for a sail & to get me familiar . Going to spend a couple days cleaning & ferrying my belongings out & moving in . Then shopping for the trip.....hahaha....I don't have chart 1 . It already feels better .
Old 10-03-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the updates. I have enjoyed following your progress. Depending on when you get to the Potomac River it can be rough going. There are many marinas around Reedville VA at the south edge of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay. If you need any phone numbers I will get them. Let me know what facilities you need. I am across the river from cobb island. From what I hear one of the marinas at cobb island closed, but I don’t know the name. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-04-2008
Orange is the new black.

Thanks Santa . Cobb Island seems like a long way off to me right now but I'm finally here & the way things played out I no longer have previously mentioned time constraints as long as I have computer connection . I bought the boat sight unseen other then having it surveyed & a friend inspecting it . It's actually nicer then I thought . I'll be fine living on her . I'm a pretty low maintanance guy who doesn't need much . There's a couple issues , but show me a boat that doesn't . She's a 39' wood flush deck cutter built in 1940 . Hull & deck were rebuilt in 2000 I think she's the prettiest boat in the bay . hahaha 550 hrs on the engine....almost new suit of sails....new dink & motor......a couple small cosmetic wood work details below is pretty much it . Best of all.....I'm living again . Well here I go , have to crank up the dink & go pick up the previous owner for today's sail .
Old 10-05-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
kjango,
Let me know when you get to middle or western CT (say Stamford).
I can meet you via AMTRAK and help pilot you through the western Sound to the East River and Liberty Landing Marina or Raritan Bay and down the Jersey shore.
Glad to hear that you are aboard your boat if only sight unseen. Wooden boats are a little scary to me if only because they tend to take on more water but hey, you only live once.
Still sounds like fun.

CalebD

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2008
Orange is the new black.

Everyone here has suffered through my sad story but we're now to the happy ending part . I've been on board a few days now & this weekend past we sailed her Sat. & Sun. out on Buzzard's Bay . It was way sweet . I'm still dealing with my limited capabilities , but no real time constraints . She's easy to sail . The previous owner was 71 & his habit was to sail alone . We were making 7.4 knots Sat. as per GPS . The previous owner brought a friend & told me his friend would be on deck to point me in the right direction & he would be in the cockpit to point me in the right direction , but I was going to sail the boat alone . Except for a near accidental jibe I got through it . Those 2 guys are princes among men . Thanks Caleb for your kind offer . I'll give you a heads up when I know I'll be in your area . Yepper....she's wood.....but don't be scared....hahaha.....she's sweet . All I have to do now is find someone willing to sail with me from here to anywhere South of here . Even if it's short I'don't mind as long as it ends up at a marina til I find someone willing for the next leg . If anyone is interested , I'm moored now in Onset Bay . Boat is fueled & ready to go in an hour's notice . Thanks again to everyone for kind & thoughtful advice I have gotten here & offers to help . If anyone's interested or wants more info feel free to email me at jc07smith@aol.com . Also have pics of the boat I can send & willing to answer any questions & entertain any & all offers . I'm now just anxious to be sailing her . Lets go sailing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
this sounds like an awesome story you deffinatley want help anvigating through the east river and that area it can get hairy good luck and it really sounds like your happy and livin the life im excited hearing about it i dont know why but its a good story