Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008

kjango is on a distinguished road
New Bedford Mass-Cobb Island MD

Need a favor .....Can any of you East Coaster folks give me a ball park dist/sailing time from New Bedford Mass. to Cobb Island MD figuring an avg speed of 4kts/hr ??? Thanks in advance if you can help me out .

Last edited by kjango; 08-17-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: cause I don't spell well & have poor communication skills
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Going outside to Norfolk then back up the bay staying within 75 nm of shore off New York. Estimated distance 475-500 NM. Approx . 5 days at 4 knot SOG.

All depends on your preferred route and capabilities.

Good luck....

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330
Old 08-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Are you planning on going offshore or sticking with the coastal route. Going offshore will cut a good deal of distance from your trip. However, it requires you to keep a much closer eye on the weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-17-2008

Thanks so much for the info folks . My only plan so far is to play the hand I've been dealt & it's not pretty so far . The story's too long to tell but the result is I may have to single hand a boat from New Bedford to Cobb Island late Oct. early Nov . I'm 60 years old & haven't set foot on a deck in 30 years . I won't have more then 10 days to play with it . Let me save you from pointing out the obvious . I know it's stupid . I am aware consequences can be dire . Having said that I am so open to constructive advice directed towards getting it done . The only real pluses in my favor are I'm way fit , I'm not afraid , & I think I can do it even if I'm not anything close to comfortable with it . I'm just out of resources & options so I may have to gut it out . Thanks to you folks though I have some notion of the scope of the endeavor .
Old 08-17-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Being on a time deadline and offshore sailing at that time of year is pretty foolish...but it sounds like you are well aware of that and prepared to risk all. Make sure you have a raft and EPIRB if you decide to try. They can be rented.
Old 08-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second having an EPIRB and raft aboard. What kind of boat will you be making the trip in and how well do you know her. Also, why do you only have a 10 day window.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-17-2008

B747dx is on a distinguished road
Provide more details. Type of Boat? Reason for move? Why the time window? You may find some volunteers willing to go part or all of the trip with you. (Me, for example)
Old 08-17-2008

boat is 36' & sound....rigging & sails solid....engine runs like a top...vhf radio , compass , & GPS.....I'm the one that's not sound....hahaha....At the risk of waxing philosphical . Many go to sea because it's their dream . I'm being driven back to it . I hardly recognise the world I grew up in anymore & the courts have taken everything I ever worked for in my life & given it to my wife of 14 months who isn't even a citizen . After 2 years in court I'm going fugitive . The boat is my hideout . Severing all the ties of my formal life should be done by end of Oct. Need to get the boat down to a way cheap slip 1st part of Nov . I appreciate the advise on the E.P.I.R.B. I had no notion they could be rented . Have a raft . Not to minamize risk , but a storm at sea would be reassuring to me at this point . At least that would make more sense then what I've seen of the " polite society " last 2 years . My sincere thanks again guys for the concern & advise .
Old 08-18-2008

B747dx is on a distinguished road
Well Hell.....you're not the first to run to that jealous mistress, The Sea, in times of trouble. Sorry for all the crap you've gone thru. I'll sail as far as NYC with you, if you promise not to drop me overboard! I'll even find my own way back. I live in Rhode Island, we can go down LI Sound, and you can drop me in the city.
Old 08-18-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I wish you well. When you get here I will buy you a drink. I am in Virginia across from Cobb island. Be sure to check the tides coming into the Potomac, The river can be an unforgiving b*t*h you may want to conceder going down the Delaware canal ( no locks) into the top of the Chesapeake bay and then down. Probably longer but closer to shore.