SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Sailing to Cuba (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/46750-sailing-cuba.html)

yousmc 09-03-2008 11:38 PM

Sailing to Cuba

Does anyone know what the regulations are for sailing to Cuba (tourist)? What is the best way to get there from the US?:rolleyes:

Slayer 09-04-2008 12:20 AM

Unauthorized travel to Cuba is unlawful under the Trading With the Enemy Act and the Cuban Democracy Act. The US prohibits its citizens from traveling to Cuba unless you qualify for one of a limited number of licenses. The US Treasury Dept. will fine you up to $7,500 if you are caught traveling there.

tdw 09-04-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousmc (Post 362958)
Does anyone know what the regulations are for sailing to Cuba (tourist)? What is the best way to get there from the US?:rolleyes:

If I was sailing to Cuba I wouldn't start from there.

But then I'm Australian.

You could try taking out Canadian citizenship.

sailingdog 09-04-2008 02:21 AM

Going there from a US port or coming from there to a US port is probably a really bad idea, regardless of the flag you fly on your boat.

Allanbc 09-04-2008 09:59 AM

When returning, you could probably load up your boat with people and make some money. I doubt that you could make enough to cover your prison time, however.

Cruisingdad 09-04-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yousmc (Post 362958)

If you are an American, that verges from dumb to insane. Steer clear. Go down to Hispanola or somewhere else.

If you are not an American, maybe go to the Tortugas first, rest up, and head south from there. I have not been to CUba but have been to the TOrtugas.

Honestly, I do not understand the drive and interest in going to Cuba with the current regime there. Would I love to go there one day? SUre... but not when big or little Castro runs the place. What's the point? Isn't worth the very possible and likely reprocussions. Besides, I wouldn't do a thing to help that regime survive and since they are not in the business of letting you "visit" for free, that creates an ethical conflict.

Here you go. Read this and after reviewing all the info, explain to me why it is worth the hassle? Cuba

- CD

anchorsaweigh 09-04-2008 10:31 AM

I would love to be able to cruise to Cuba, but my government would rather I do business with China.

Cheers,

Bob

Gehres 09-04-2008 10:33 AM

Has anyone done this, and not been caught? People do it by plane all of the time. What about from Puerto Rico?

jldooley 09-04-2008 10:59 AM

hi,
Tampa / St. Pete's FL. newspaper (has a searchable site) had a story a few years ago where someone sailed to Cuba came back. dude was arrested, boat impounded, legal issues were detailed ; vaguely remember it was settled don't remember the outcome, but it was not cheap.
there were cruisers who went yearly this case stopped them from going.

Pepsi Cola and Kentucky Fried Chicken did more to break the USSR than Raygun ever could. When we learn from History...

cardiacpaul 09-04-2008 11:36 AM

You wanna go... go, knock yourself out, I ain't sayin nuttin' more. :)