Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008
Banned

serenity4u2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Alaska Cruising

I have tried search for Alaska cruising and can not obtain any results- perhaps user era, lol... If there are any old threads regarding Alaska- best areas to sail- chartering a boat- etc.. I would appreaciate someone who knows how to find an old thread and post it for me.. Curious if any Alaskans on this site might have some oppinions.. Much Appreciation!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sailboy21, a member on this board lives there.. you can try to reach him through this link...

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/members/sailboy21.html

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-08-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Every place is beautiful up here !
There is a guide book whos who kinda thing .
60 or so bucks ..I will get the name and author tommrow ,its in the pick-up .

The tides are 12 to 20 plus feet the slopes around the islands are steep and deep . Lots of rain. north pacific...mountains for weather.

Im in Juneau. New up here to sailing and South East Alaska .With currents ,tides ,wind it motor sailing.

Bring foul weather gear and might get lucky and never use it . We broke records for rain this year.Its all great !
Old 09-08-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One thing to keep in mind is that there are basically two different Alaska cruising areas. Most people are familiar with Southeast and the Inside Passage which runs along the west coast of Canada. There is also the "southern" coast of Alaska, running from Cordova to Seward, and includes the Prince William Sound. Both are scenic and lightly populated. Southeast is mostly a maze of islands and shoreline and weather similar to Northwest Washington. The southern coast is primarily shoreline, not as rainy, but cooler temperatures than Southeast. One thing to keep in mind is that the Gulf of Alaska is one of the most dangerous bodies of water on the planet.

You have a larger window of opportunity in the Southeast, though I have spent too little time there to be more familiar with it. I always felt the best weather on the southern coastal part was late May to late June. Please note though, I've been gone from Alaska for 9 years, so my recollections may be tinged with the enjoyment of my 22 years there.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Part of this blog should give you some recent info on cruising Alaska. The Minnow
Old 09-08-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Here are some past sailnet threads to go over

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...ing-guide.html

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...ge-alaska.html

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...e-january.html

There are a couple cruising guides you will need

Charlie's Charts North to Alaska

Exploring Southeast Alaska
Old 09-09-2008
vagrant

bobwebster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity4u2 View Post
I have tried search for Alaska cruising and can not obtain any results!
Here are some photos from an Alaska trip this summer:

The Minnow, Hawaii-Midway-Aleutians-Washington, 2008

There are a few guides out for Alaska, but very little west of Prince William Sound or even Glacier Bay. Charlie's Charts is pretty good.

Old 09-09-2008
Banned

serenity4u2 is on a distinguished road
Awesome...

Thanks soo very much.... The threads are great... I have contacted some sailing charters in AK... Most are located in the SE part... I have no desire to sail there- just visit and charter- perhaps do some sailing with locals. Now that I am retired i plan to take some time off and just explore. The state of AK is so large that there is much to see and spending time with locals make it all that better. I never get tired of the PNW and think that AK exploration would be a great adventure...

I pulled up several charts and am amazed at how large AK really is and how diverse the water ways really are.

The name of that book would be great and I look forward to it.. Thanks for taking the time. I am Very Appreciative..

THANKS....
Old 10-15-2008

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Serenity:

Although we don't have the decades of experience many of the posters have, we have owned our Omega 36 and sailed out of Seward, AK for five years now. It's the only water we know. To be honest our cruising has been limited to Resurection Bay, Day Harbor (just East) and Aialik Bay (just West). I think I read somewhere that Resurection Bay was listed as one of the 10 places you need to Sail before you die (or something like that). True. Vertually every weekend out brings us up on whales, porposis, seals, otters and sea lions. Maybe we're spoiled by starting out our sailing experience up here but I wouldn't have it any other way!

BTW - one of the best cruising books for up here is called "A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe and another good one is "Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords" by David Wm. Miller.

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"