Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008

kmahren is on a distinguished road
Heading South from RI - two questions

Heading south from RI early October.

Two questions maybe some of you can answer....
what's the best source of three - four day weather forcast to find weather windows... and daily forcasts?

any recommendations on crusing guides for theSound, NY,NJ, Del, Chesapeake...

and yes, mildred, a third question, any recommendations on the "best" guide for the ICW?

my very humble thanks to all !

Ken.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ken...what options will you have for weather: PC w/ air card, SSB, VHF?
Sounds like you're going inshore so VHF marine forecasts are probably your best bet. You can also listen in on the Cruizheimers Net if you have an shortwave reciever. Daily Net on 6.227.0 USB as of January 2007 (may return to 8.152.0 USB at 0830 ET in the summer)
If you have internet access, in addition to the NWS/NOAA forecasts, Passageweather.com is very useful for wind/wave prediction as is sailflow.com

As to guides...ICW is well served by the mid-atlantic and southern guides to the ICW by Dozier. And if you want to anchor, find the latest shoal areas and bidege openings...Skipper Bob's guide to anchorages.
I'll let others comment on the other areas. Good luck in your prep!
Old 09-11-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Damn, Cam is good. He answered almost all your questions in one concise post.
For the LI Sound I would recommend having the Maptech LIS Chartbook (Throgs Neck to Block Island - which I could not find listed in the Sailnet Store). Mine is too old at 5 years but it lists ALL the marinas w/phone #s, VHF channel and services for any place you might need to use as a 'Plan B' stopping point.
That said, I stayed tied up at the Town Dock in Mattituck about 6 years ago for free which was nice. Greenport or Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island could also make a nice first place to overnight (Coecles being somewhat cheaper as there are moorings which are not available in Greenport). Mt. Sinai harbor and Port Jeff. have many fans although I have not overnighted at either. Huntington Harbor I have stayed in on a guest mooring and is very protected with a number of nice places to anchor out in Huntington Bay. Oyster Bay/Cold Spring harbor is similar although I have not stayed there either.
Further west there is Hempstead Harbor which is not so well protected. I have had my boat here before at HHC and SCYC on a guest mooring though (mom still lives out in SC).
Then there is Manhasset Bay and City Island if you want to stage yourself at the mouth of the East River before heading down (got Eldridge? - the current charts are very helpful in planning your timing going down). Bring your GPS so you can see that your boat is doing 10+ kts while passing Roosevelt Island!
Once in NY Harbor you can proceed on to Sandy Hook or stop at Liberty Landing Marina or try to get a cheap mooring at Pier 40 just up the Hudson (part of NYC Parks dept. - not much in the way of services but a short dinghy ride from Manhattan at Houston St.).
Of course there is more and it all depends on the wind and weather as to whether you choose to hug the coast of CT or LI or bounce back and forth and how much you want to spend, but you already knew that.
Good luck and have fun.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd add Stormpulse.com to the list of resources, as it is a good site to check with for tracking named storms and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-12-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Mt. Sinai harbor and Port Jeff. have many fans although I have not overnighted at either. Huntington Harbor I have stayed in on a guest mooring and is very protected with a number of nice places to anchor out in Huntington Bay. Oyster Bay/Cold Spring harbor is similar although I have not stayed there either.
if you make good time you can make pt jeff in a long day and then at about 8 kts on my motor boat port jeff is four hours im in the back of northport which is the farthest fromt he mouth of the bay you can get. but wow is it protected....anyway so figure 3 hours port jeff to huntington bay and then from here to manhatten at 8 kts its i think 4 hours again and we got to hells gate.
Old 09-13-2008
Tartan 27' owner

Your time estimates sound about right to me once you get to Port Jeff. Keep Mattituck and Mt. Sinai in mind if you need to duck in.
Pt. Jeff is a pretty good place to pull in to re-fuel and is probably about 3-4 hours from Northport. You can also anchor in Lloyd Harbor on the south side west of the lighthouse that marks the opening for Huntington Harbor. Still pretty well protected and somewhat easier to get back out on the Sound and get going.
If you can do 8 kts in your boat your time estimates sound right.
I use a 5 kt estimate for my 27' Tartan and can make it to the beginning of the East River from Hempstead Harbor in about 2 hours. Your boat sounds bigger and faster. What is your boat? (I will check your profile).

Everybody has one:

Old 09-13-2008

im talking about my motor boat that is a trawler not my sailboat its just those are the estimates i have because i have not done any cruising in my sailboat which is a catalina 22 another anchorage is the coast guard station on eatons neck i wouldnt go if theres terrible weather but its good for overnight and is right on the sound
Old 09-13-2008
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
A good cruising guide for the Chesapeake Bay is "Cruising The Chesapeake A Gunkholer's Guide" by William H Shellenberger. (it includes Mid-Atlantic to VA, obviously concentrating on MD & VA. There are enough places to go here that you could spend a lifetime!

One important place to skip is Annapolis in Early October there is the Sailboat/Powerboat shows! No anchorage available and no dockage! Any other time, Napptown is a must visit.

Depending on your draft make sure you stop in on Tangier Island (just South of the MD/VA line). Another nice place is St Michael’s. Also, Solomon’s Island is a great resource before you head into the South Bay.
Old 09-13-2008
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
if you make good time you can make pt jeff in a long day and then at about 8 kts on my motor boat
I read your post but somehow still thought you would be in a sailboat. My bad.
Eaton's Neck Sand Hole is a good idea if you have good weather. I heard that you are not supposed to dingy to shore there and the Coasties are right there to enforce.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-13-2008

its not the coasties jp morgans old estate has a grounds keeper that keeps you from and rides on a quad he has an attitude and they own the whole little spit instead of the coasties he doesnt even let the coasties take a walk on it i asked the commanding officer about it cuz he bothers everyone and he was gonna tlk to them so ya it is true but its bs because they can ride a quad and rouse up the sanctuary when you cant even take a walk....the coasties dont care though