Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2002

ccannan is on a distinguished road
Headroom

I''d like to hear experienced liveaboard and/or cruising sailors'' opinion about interior headroom. The latest boat I looked at doesn''t have headroom for me in the head/shower, the master stateroom (forward), and the passageway leading to them both. I would have to duck quite a bit to make it through the passageway, and bend my neck in the head and stateroom while standing. Most other spaces (salon, galley, a small area forward of the aft quarterberth stateroom) have sufficient headroom. The navigation station on the port side is under the cockpit so it doesn''t have sufficient headroom either, but I figure that''s OK because I would probably be seated when at the navigation station.

Does this situation sound untenable for living aboard, and cruising? or am I worrying about something that doesn''t make a real difference over time?

Chip
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Headroom

Chip, you may be finding little response to your question because the importance of headroom is such a personal issue that others may be reluctant to offer a fixed opinion on your behalf. We cruised aboard our first boat for a month while coastal sailing among many of SoCal''s offshore islands and I never once missed having full headroom. But the minute we had a boat where I could stand up, I''m sure it spoiled me from returning to a cramped stance. I don''t know how you can get your answer from others; you''ll need to answer it for yourself, I believe.

Jack
Old 08-12-2002

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
Headroom

While headroom is very important to me I am just six feet tall so I can stand in most boats. If you are say 6''3" or more it''s going to be a lot more trouble to find "headroom" and you may have to settle for a boat that you can only stand up in one area.

My last boat was a C&C 30 and I had headroom like you describe. I got by with that for a long time but now the "new" boat is bigger and I don''t want to go back.

I don''t think anyone can say what will suit someone else here in sailboats. I like to stand up straight. It''s important to me.