Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Confused non-resident

I cant seem to find an answer to my question. My wife and I currently in Canada plan on purchasing our next boat for cruising within the next year. We would probably purchase in the US most likely CA. The boat will never return to Canada as the west coast sail up doesnt appeal to us. We would probably leave the boat in CA during trip back to Canada to see family (and required every 6 months) Taxes are also lower in CA than in Canada.

If I purchase a boat in California where the primary use will be can I pay the taxes register it in the state even if Im a non resident?

If we decide to cruise if it is regsistered in CA would there be a requirement on having the boat back in the state or do they care as long as the taxes are paid and the boat is regsitered?

Any link or comments would be appreciated...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think it would make more sense to register it in Canada rather than California, since, if you decide to go to Mexico, you're might have a problem with a CA-state registered boat, and being Canadian. Just some food for thought.

You probably wouldn't have to pay any import duties on the boat, if it doesn't enter Canadian waters, but would probably have to get an annual cruising permit for your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-28-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
What about registering with the USCG?

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 09-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If they're non-residents... they're not US citizens...and USCG documentation requires US citizenship by at least 51% of the ownership.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-28-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I think it would make more sense to register it in Canada rather than California, since, if you decide to go to Mexico, you're might have a problem with a CA-state registered boat, and being Canadian. Just some food for thought. You probably wouldn't have to pay any import duties on the boat, if it doesn't enter Canadian waters, but would probably have to get an annual cruising permit for your boat.
Thanks..

I was trying to avoid 13% and duties (if not made in the USA-our duty is 9.5% on non US boat.

Revenue Canada states the following:

You do not need to provide customs clearance documents to license a boat that you purchased in the U.S. or outside of Canada, but you still need to remit duty and taxes on the purchase to the Canada Border Services Agency

I dont know if that applies to a boat that I am not bringing a boat into Canada, but after my last purchase and import, I think to get a reg number Im almost positive I would have to pay the above noted cost.

It made more sense if the boat was not returning to Canada (ie purchased and occasional kept in CA) to regsiter it there, save money on taxes/possible import fees, and probably purchase it for a lower price.

SD-why could a CA registered boat be a problem in Mexico?

Sab30
Old 09-28-2008
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road
I think you can REGISTER the boat in Canada (takes a few weeks and a few $ too), and if you are not importing the boat you won't have to pay the taxes. You will have to pay your sales taxes somewhere (broker may have a waiver for him if you are not paying the the state you purchased it) - and if CA is a good rate for you - go ahead and do that. Sounds sensible. Also if you are Canadian registered, Cuba will never be a problem :-)

I paid VA tax but did not register the boat in VA, it was not easy to find the right forms, but an email to the agency that handles it got a quick reply. You can email the CA folks and just check they won't have any issue with excepting your money (How could they say no?).

I know of another boat purchased in the USA by Canadians "Slapdash" their report says "In the end we had to resign ourselves to the maddening (and expensive) bureaucracy of our home and native land. The process is so tortuous that we actually had to hire a professional that specializes solely in registering non-Canadian boats.". But even that did not go smoothly. Along with other frustrations imposed by the Canadian guys - special bills of sale, and notarized sellers signatures. So be prepared for a few headaches, give yourself plenty of time to get the process completed before you plan on leaving the states with the boat. See Slapdash posts of 19th and 26th September 2007

Good luck, and have fun!

Old 09-28-2008
Telstar 28

Sab30-

State registrations aren't always recognized in foreign countries, since states aren't sovereign countries and have no standing in international situations. State registered boats can have problems with customs, as many foreign countries aren't familiar with state-registration documentation. In many cases, you have to check in with customs at every port with a state-registered boat, which is not the case with a nationally flagged boat.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-29-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Actually...Mexico is one of the countries that does NOT require documentation. From Latitude38's Mexico prep advice;

"• Boat Documents — Every boat must carry current vessel documentation that proves ownership and port of registry. If your boat is not a U.S. documented vessel, you must carry state registration papers — and ideally a bill of sale and/or other proof of ownership."
Full details here:Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas
Old 09-29-2008

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
Register in Canada as a Canadian flagged vessel with Transport Canada but if you don't bring the boat to Canada you never have to pay any duty, nor PST. The GST depends on how you finance the boat. I've done this and have friend who've owned more than one boat this way. ONLY when you bring the boat to CAnada would you need to think of the PST and the import duty if not a NAFTA vessel.

M Murphy
Old 09-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
^ ^^ ^ ^^
I believe this is correct.

I am in Toronto and I wanted to go check out an NY state-registered boat, but as it was French-built, buying it in the States and "importing" it back to Canada would have totalled 24% of the purchase price, making it no bargain at all irrespective of what I thought of the boat (a Jouet 1280, if anyone's wondering).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.