Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
I gambled again. Very much like while transiting Mississippi delta
I gambled twice.
The First was by choosing Atlantic side instead of Chesapeake Bay. I figure out that with cold air blowing I’d have better angle upwind going in open water and with lull between fronts I’d be better in open water again – there are stronger favorable winds.
The second gamble was that I can make across DelMarVa coast using channels.
I entered Chesapeake Bay at Norfolk sometimes after noon three days ago. There was Small Craft Advisory with very few pleasure boats trickling in and none going out. I had about 4 hours of day time.
I crossed bay, started with double reefed mizzen and single reef on main. By time I entered channel between Fishermans Island and mainland I had only reefed mainsail up.
Very soon I stack in mud. It was all right with me – night was coming, I went to sleep. I was on unknown for cruisers VA intracoastal waterway.
My goal was to get to big navigate-able inlet on Atlantic coast – Wachapreague inlet, however I didn’t make this far, at some point soft mad changed to oysters shells, and grounding become no fun.
I spent next night behind barrier island next to Great Machipongo Inlet ( I love these names). Inlet was no use to cruisers, according to Doziers Waterways guide, most overpriced piece of information.
I got a good sleep and sailed out of inlet and proceed to Ocean City MD, some 80 miles away. I entered it at night. Thanks for Dozier’s waterway guide, I knew about anchorage there. Problem is – I couldn’t enter it – there was something big moving around. It is a night, dark one – moon is new. It’s a city, so, there are lights around. In a middle of anchorage was some vessel. It had red and green, and many – many other lights up- on top. I choose strategy which never failed so far – with my shallow draft I sailed into 4 ft of water and slowly moved forward. It was some 50-sh sailing ketch with all lights possible swinging on a rode.
And next day got me to Cape May Neyw Jerzee.
I’m on home run

CR

Last edited by CrazyRu; 11-01-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
YOU are a freakin maniac!! Well done!