Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Logos,

Suggest you CAREFULLY read "Going north San Diego - Crescent city" on page 4 of the Cruising archives. As I said to Jordan, my intent in writing this is to save you some major grief and maybe your life. This is about the worst time of the year to try it.

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2008

logos is on a distinguished road
Thank you J36T! That is some useful, first-hand information, and that is what I have gathered so far. Looks like a good time to explore that area and gather the boat together. I am neither foolhardy nor suicidal and am not afraid of a blow... I have spent far too many solo hours but I also am not a risk taker

I just have always heard about this trip at this time of year and worked with someone who tried with a 26 o'day or something and gave up shortly after Pt. Conception. The price on the boat is too good to pass up with my budget since it leaves me enough to make some improvements/live for awhile...

And believe me, I appreciate the experience and warnings... a lady friend wanted to go upon hearing of the idea and she has no boat experience of any kind whatsoever! I had to nix that as you know, even for experienced sailors, this trip is probably passed without absolute necessity.
Old 10-31-2008

dabnis,

I will read it. I am quite sure I will survey the trip a last time or two and then settle in for the winter.

It is nice down there compared to the Pacific North West winters- long drawn out wet.
Old 10-31-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yep, the good weather be gone now, for the next 6 months or so.
Old 10-31-2008

LazylighningII is on a distinguished road
I have a 47' offshore boat and would not do it. I sailed this boat down from Seattle 4 years ago and would not suggest you do it in 27 footer. I also sail this part of the coast on a 900' container ship and we have gotten our butts kicked in Nov. If you a must do this April -July is the Time and you still must watch the weather with a very close eye.
Old 11-11-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
I was relieved to read you will not be coming up this time of year...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 11-11-2008

Not sure yet. I am moored at the Cabrillo Yacht Club in San Pedro.Got here on the 4th and took possession of the "Karana" the same day. I have been out twice beyond the breakwater once when gusting to 30kts with about 22 continuous. Swells 5-6 feet with wind waves 2-3 feet. Mostly testing the motor's ability to push her in those conditions. Had a storm jib flying. Other than that I am pulling as much of the engine apart as reasonably possible to de-rust and clean it. Using 10% phosphoric acid solution and a lot of scraping and scrubbing with wire brushes and cleaners. It's a lot lot better. I have pictures and will post them later.
She needs a top coat and so will be scrubbing and degreasing and priming and painting. Hull too.
The wiring was atrocious and still is but better. Bough new batteries. Emergency signaling gear etc.
She's a great boat and strong. Being in California the core is dry(er) than it would be elsewhere. I snorkelled the bottom for a bit checking through hulls, the keel, and rudder welds among other things. Clean bottom with fair paint. Time to be stripped though.
I have things to do but am keeping her ready to sail within a day and am planning a trip to Catalina Island on Saturday. More later. Logos
Old 11-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Logos—

Being in California will have very difference on whether the core is wet or dry... that is determined purely by how well bedded and maintained the deck hardware was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2008

maybe you are thinking too quickly, lol, water intrusion goes on all the time, sailingdog, with fiberglass boats as you probably know. a boats hull absorbs water unless epoxy coated etc. That is why they "blister": water intrusion!- this is because the (often vinyl ester) resin matrix is porous and will osmotically as well as just by mechanical pressure be takingn on water until it is saturated... the saturation point depends on the reference gradient- this is why I say southern california boats will typically have less problems with deck core problems- the humidity is generally a lot less than other places, portland, or for instance. thus you would expect anything, including your deck core, to maintain, over time, an internal moisture content similiar to the average humidity. that is why we find old cars sitting around here that have not rusted to the ground whereas in hawaii for instance you can park a car on the side of the road and it won't be there a few years later! the extremely high humidity is pushing water into anything that is not a similar 80-90% humidity.
If someone had a boat that was damp and put it in a very low humidity environment, like a giant refridgerator, it would lose moisture until it was as dry as the air around it.

logos
Old 11-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Logos-

Hate to break it to you. Most water intrusion problems for decks are due to leaks and poorly bedded hardware. Airborne water isn't going cause OSMOSIS, the diffusion gradient is too low. The vapor pressure of water vapor isn't high enough to force it into fiberglass laminate.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.