Originally Posted by sailingdog
If you want to go... go... Ain't no one stopping you. The one thing I'd add is that since you're so gung ho about it... don't take the EPIRB... leave the Coasties alone... IMHO, they really don't deserve to risk their lives for a fools who go out against all good advice. This may sound heartless... but there's more than enough work for the Coasties without you making more.
Yeah; that's about the best advice I have heard on this thread. If you want to do it, go alone and leave all the distress radios and EPIRB behind. We really don't want to hear about the life of some young guy being lost while trying to save your @ss. And to say that my advice to wait for a better time of year is "arrogant" is well troll-like.
The last person I told to wait was SimonV and while he made it it was a pretty damn rough ride for him setting out into a gale. Everyone here was worried that he would not make it through the strong gale conditions in his 39' boat while singlehanding; and when we did hear from him his report was that it he had had a difficult time, broke the vane on his autopilot; but was OK. He had to reef down to 3'rd reef and hold on with water coming over the stern and flooding the cockpit. That was a 3 day downwind sail from SF in early May; in a 39' boat
Honestly; the only reason I am posting to these threads is to hope that people who read them will listen to our advice and heed the warnings. We don't really give a rats @ss if you take the advice or not; but at least we told you the truth about the conditions and hopefully others considering doing the same will read the post and consider the issue of the coastal conditions (at all times of year) here more seriously. I have not sailed in that kind of weather; and when the time someday comes that I do you can bet that I will be prepared to do so and it won't be a situation where I decided OK I think I will sail into a patch of ocean that is known for breaking 40' seas for a couple of weeks. It will probably be during a passage when the weather is predicted to be moderate but turns far worse than predicted. But I'll be prepared for it; it will pass and I will continue on to the destination; as most experienced sailors do.
I won't put myself in harms way just to say "I did it". That's what you might call 'suicidal' or 'manic' or just another form of someone in a mid-life crisis that is looking to have the hell scared out of them so they can justify continuing with their life. In any case the best place for someone with that kind of mentality is in a Psych ward (for their own protection); not off the CA/OR coast during the storm season. But it's a free country unless you have killed or mamed someone else and you have every right to go out there and live, or die. Please don't drag anyone who is not as screwed up in the head as you are out there with out having them at least read this thread first. And again; please don't take an EPIRB, it really is not a "mommy button"; as you would be using it for that purpose in your ill-planned trip. SAR simply won't come if you are too far out of if the conditions are bad anyway; so it would just be a waste of good money.
As far as gleaning good info goes; well it really makes no difference. We are all happy to provide information, but we don't want to encourage you to go so really there is a lot more info you would get if your trip plan was in agreement with the correct weather window. There are not many people who have sailed up or down the coast after early November; at least not too many who have lived to tell. There is a reason why Pt Conception is called "The Cape Horn of California"; people have been trying to explain why it's a bad idea to set out at this time of year for a pacific voyage. The north coast of HI and Mavericks get the biggest surf between Nov-Jan; and it's for a reason. The storms are roaring across the 20's and 30's most with hurricane force this time of year. It's a well known fact; it's almost a continuous SCA/Gale/Storm warning. But what do I know; I've never sailed in it (nor do I ever plan to).
Should we start another "BFS - Rescued" thread now or wait until he is actually picked up?
Fair Winds and Following Seas - Oh wait... that probably won't apply...
BTW - the price of Dungeness Crab is dictated mainly by how bad the weather is. If it's bad the price is high; because the fishermen won't go out to retrieve their pots; and they lose lots of gear if the storms don't subside. If the weather is clear they can stay out but as soon as another storm starts coming in they ditch the pots and head in. Every year a boat or two is lost because they wait too long (get greedy). It's always a good idea to follow what the fishermen are doing; oh wait, you are a foolhearty BFSailor not a coastal fisherman, you probably won't be close enough to a port to head in if the WX is coming.