SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising with an Outboard

15K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I have purshased a boat that had the saildrive taken out and an outboard motor installed in its place. The boat it's self is a sea worthy boat and a good coastal cruiser ( 1981 Mirage 275 ).

As my interest in coastal cruising increases I am wondering what to do. Is it nuts to use a boat with an outboard as a coastal cruiser? In my journey I will be crossing the Gulf of Maine, then heading down to the Bahamma's via the ICW.

I will be sailing most of the way but the need for motor sailing will no doubt be a great possibility. Of course outboards can isolate in heavy seas and the worry about a wave breaking it off my trasim is always a concern.

Can anyone give me more information on Cruising with an outboard as your prime a auxilary engine.

#35 ·
Hull speed in a Pearson 28, which has a LWL of about 24.25' is 6.7 knots. Given that... travelling at 6.5 knots as your average speed is a pipe dream. Cam's figure of 4 knots is far more realistic. You'll be lucky to make 50-60 nm per day, assuming you stop for the night. Travelling the ICW at night is generally unwise, especially if cruising short-handed.

#37 ·
Me too... Besides, I don't think I could take motoring for that long a period of time and stay sane. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.