Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008
Waverider

waverider24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to waverider24
Thanks to everyone for your information. I am sure there are alot of outboard sailors that have had the same worries and idea's about going south and the idea of an outboard in blue water. With my travel plans the only real worry is the Gulf of Maine, heading out from Nova Scotia I have to ways to travel. The 1st and quickest is from the tip of Nova Scotia ( Clarks Harbour) to Cape Ann. Or 2nd to sail over to Grand Mannan and over to East Port Maine.

It is nice to have others in this forum that can help with idea's and thoughts.

Cheers

Todd
Old 11-01-2008

MeCaptainBinky is on a distinguished road
I've done mostly coastal and bay sailing on a 27' with an outboard, the greatest advantage of an outboard is it can be used as thruster, great for getting unstuck - spin, tilt and go. Not been in to many storms but high winds in a shallow bay can be - interesting. My longshaft Tahatso stays in the water after I "adjusted" it some as long I do not try to go head on into the waves; if you do you stop dead in the water anyway - better to zig-zag motor sail main up only.

If I could and it would work I would strap a 60hp outboard on the back of my 48ft'r - not kidding. Diesels are a lot of trouble unless you use them regularly, inboard gas is worse; If I were to go further off shore and a major storm broke - I would consider lowering the outboard into the cabin. Go for it - who really motors in a small boat anyway????
Old 11-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In addition to Cam's list, I'd add that you really should have a fuel/water separator type filter inline with the engine. This can save you a lot of headaches if the fuel gets contaminated. BTW, if you can get non-ethanol based fuel, do it. The ethanol based fuels will start to separate once the water gets above 1.5% or so by volume and you'll lose the ethanol. Since the ethanol is the primary octane booster of the fuel, it will go from about 87 octane down to about 82 octane.. and most outboards will run badly on such low octane numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccary View Post
I have a 27' with an outboard (Honda 4 stroke 9.9hp). I sail the central Chesapeake Bay just south of Annapolis. I have been thinking about 2 trips, the first is to the Outer Banks via the ICW. and the second is to the Bahamas. Does anyone see a problem with this?
While our boats (nice name ) are perfect for bay cruising and daysailing, I wouldn't push them beyond that.
Old 11-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
McCary...there is NO problem going down the Bay and the ICW to NC. Just don't do it in weather you would ordinarily not go out in. There are dozens of safe harbors along the way making for easy daytrips and the ICW is a ditch til you get to the Albemarle sound. We used to do it out of Deltaville with our small kids in a 32 footer and I see DOZENS of boats your size stopping here in the Outerbanks each year. It used to take us 2.5 days to Roanoke Island (right behind kiityhawk/nags head) from Deltaville doing daylight travel only. It is about 120 miles to Norfolk from where you are and another 85 to the Outer banks. I think you could do day sails and arrive there in 4-5 days or do a straight passage to Norfolk in 24 hours and then spend 1.5 days doing the ICW during the day. Hope this helps your planning a bit.
Old 11-03-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Something that is now out of favour is the outboard well, an enclosed box in the stern into which you mount the engine in (I assume) a fixed position. It's got the advantages of a saildrive with the convenience and access of an outboard, without having to put 120 lbs. on an engine lift mount off the end of a (usually) light boat.

Properly vented and cooled (you can open the lid), this keeps the prop somewhat more inboard, meaning it's less likely to clear the water in rough seas, you keep the weight a little inboard, and it's less likely to suffer from a dunking or from being exposed to the elements. It seems a lot quieter as well, as one could sound baffle the box and lid while venting the box with blowers or dorades. Lastly, you could keep the gas tank outside, lashed to the rail or mounted otherwise in the open air, giving a "gravity feed" plus the safety of not keeping a tank in the cabin.

I don't think current boats have this "outboard well" option: it seems to have died as an idea in the '80s. Of course, if people are still making new pocket cruisers under 30 feet, I am not aware of it.
Old 11-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... some small pocket cruisers still being made... but they're expensive...

BTW, the way they do it on a lot of trimarans is to use an engine sled or bucket... which is forward alongside the main hull. It isn't quite as well protected as an outboard in a well, but has most of the other benefits... The Telstar 28 uses a bucket type outboard motor mount.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2008
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
While our boats (nice name ) are perfect for bay cruising and daysailing, I wouldn't push them beyond that.
WouldsShoulda, where is your home port? I sail out of West River from a private dock just across the river from Galesville. I like your boat's name!
You can visit my boat's website some time.
aeoluswestriver.net
Old 11-03-2008
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
The Chesapeake Bay and Outer Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
McCary...there is NO problem going down the Bay and the ICW to NC. Just don't do it in weather you would ordinarily not go out in. There are dozens of safe harbors along the way making for easy daytrips and the ICW is a ditch til you get to the Albemarle sound. .
I have sailed more than once down the Bay as far as Yorktown. It is the ICW I have never been in with the boat. And I am very familiar with the Outer Banks having vacationed there 20+ times. I have never sailed there but thought it might make a fun trip someday. You live in Manteo?
Old 11-03-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=waverider24;394603] With my travel plans the only real worry is the Gulf of Maine, heading out from Nova Scotia I have to ways to travel. The 1st and quickest is from the tip of Nova Scotia ( Clarks Harbour) to Cape Ann. Or 2nd to sail over to Grand Mannan and over to East Port Maine.

[QUOTE]

This is where you will see a big difference in motoring with an inboard or an outboard. An inboard diesel with a large gas tank will have no problems motoring 100 miles or more across the Gulf of Maine, but that is a lot of work and a lot of open water for an outboard.

I sail a 27' with an outboard in the lazarette well and really enjoy it for all the reasons already listed on this thread. I have no plans to repower with an inboard diesel but I also only use my motor to get in/out of crowded anchorages, docking and getting somewhere when the wind dies. If you want to do long open stretches under power, not sail, I would rethink your auxilliary. If you are planning on sailing the whole way and using your motor to dock at the other end than no problems.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little