SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Charts and Maps of the ICW (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/48539-charts-maps-icw.html)

waverider24 11-01-2008 08:24 AM

Charts and Maps of the ICW

I have been looking for information on the river and bay systems of the ICW from Virgina to Florida. I must say it is like pull teeth to find the right information on the Routes, Bridges, Rivers, Cheap Marina's and oveall great anchorages.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PBzeer 11-01-2008 08:35 AM

Skipper Bob has two guides, one for marinas, one for anchorages. The one for anchorages, has bridge info (for those that require opening). My 2007 edition was $16.

I use the Maptech chartbooks (Virginia to Georgia and East Coast of Flordia to Keys). At around $130 apiece, they have all the charts, including off the ICW and coastal.

More detail can be found in the Dozier Waterway Guides, and the Salty Southeast Cruisers Net www.cruisersnet.net - Home is a valuable online resource with up to date info from cruisers.

waverider24 11-01-2008 09:09 AM

Thanks for the information

Great to know I will check it out.

gershel 11-01-2008 09:22 AM

I don't know why finding info on the ICW was so hard, that you had to resort to asking for help on this bulletin board. With all the info available, I wonder why you had to "pull teeth" to find it? How many minutes of reseach did you actually do?
Marc

waverider24 11-01-2008 09:55 AM

Thanks gershel

Thank you for your input. Of course there are Cruiser Guides and Charts that can be purchased. What I was looking for is any free information on the Internet ( like maybe a detailed website of maping from the US government)

One would think with the economic benefit to the US from its ICW that they would have a free data bank of information. Anyway that being said Gershel, if you have any valueable information I would love to read it. I thought I was welcome to ask other sailors for help and advice, not being rediculed and smart remarks.

I have always taken pride in the sailing community as a family of sorts, helping each other with warm and welcoming friendship.

Cheers

camaraderie 11-01-2008 11:23 AM

waverider...have you not found the complete NOAA charts of the US online?
You can look at anything on line right here:
Atlantic Coast NOAA Nautical Charts

Electronic charts for download and use in the navigation software you can get for free (google sea clear) can be found here:
Raster Navigational Charts: NOAA RNCs for raster charts
and here:
Electronic Navigational Charts: NOAA ENCsĀ® for vector(ENC) charts

You can also download many charts for printing yourself in booklet format from pdf file here:
NOAA BookletCharts

NOW when are you Canadians gonna give us YOUR charts for free and tip people on your way south for provided services in accordance with the customs of the country you are visiting? In return i promise not to tip in Canada since that is apparently the preferred manner of doing business!! :D :D :D

sander06 11-01-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gershel (Post 394365)
I don't know why finding info on the ICW was so hard, that you had to resort to asking for help on this bulletin board. With all the info available, I wonder why you had to "pull teeth" to find it? How many minutes of reseach did you actually do?
Marc

Yeah, sometimes it seems that people don't always try very hard to find info. On the other hand, there are times when I'm feeling grouchy and let them know. However, I find it best to either provide the info I have at hand or just not respond at all. I just never know when I'm going to be the next one who didn't do a due diligence search for info prior to asking for help.

Bottom line... lighten up!:)

greene2108 11-01-2008 04:06 PM

I hope this isn't thread isn't representative of the attitude on Sailnet forums.

I can't believe that someone who wants to use this forum to express an interest by "daring to ask" a question without having done everything possibile beforehand to get the answers is getting ridiculed. I guess as a newbie to sailing and this forum, I'll be extremely selective in what and how I ask anything.

Waverider - I apologize for others rudeness.

waverider24 11-01-2008 06:36 PM

Thanks to everyone on here that offered information. I did not mean for this to turn into an discussion on doing homework. I work all day in front of a computer and surf the net all the time, however I am from a different country even if only across the boarder and sometimes my google search might not have the same info as yours.

Anyway thanks to all, I do value all information and now I feel like I do have places to look.

Cheers, May the wind be at your back and the sun in your face!

Todd

sailingdog 11-01-2008 06:43 PM

greene-

It would be nice if people at least made a minimal effort towards doing some research themselves... it does get a bit tiring to get very basic questions that anyone could use google to answer... and it shows a lack of consideration to expect stuff to be handed to you on a silver plate.

That said, I seriously doubt that google in canada and google in the us show very much difference at all.