Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
One Dead, one wounded in VZ piracy attack

This was just posted on another board...very tragic.
I know this will generate another piracy/guns argument...but let's get further details before jumping to any conclusions.
The VZ coast remains dangerous and prudent cruisers would be wise to avoid it for the time being.

Last night an American, the owner/captain of the vessel Chill, Ken Peters, was killed by pirates at Isla Borracha near Puerto La Cruz. Ken and his wife Cathy were anchored with another boat I'Lean, Steve & Gloria Davis aboard. They were departing Puerto La Cruz from Bahía Redonda Marina headed west and stopped for the night to clean the boat bottoms and prepare for the voyage west. About 5:30 PM they were approached by 3 men in a piñero with pistols. Details are not clear this morning, but it seems the 2 American men resisted and in the ensuing gunfight Ken was killed and Steve injured but not badly. The Guarda Costa was called and responded and the 2 sailboats returned to PLC last night late. The widow, Cathy Peters, sailed her boat back with the help of a friend and guarded by a soldier. Steve sailed his boat back and the police recovered the body of Ken from I'Lean. It is expected that the body will be cremated here in Puerto La Cruz. It is especially horrible as Cathy just returned from the US having just buried her mother. The whole community here is in a state of shock and grief. A large scale exodus of cruisers is probable. We plan to depart in a few days, as was our plan previously.

To those who advocate armed resistance. maybe you need to rethink that. It is difficult to contemplate clearly and understand these things but violence is not the answer to violence. For sure it did not seem to be the answer in this case.
SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - Death of an American cruiser in Venezuela
Old 11-09-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I am very sorry to hear that, RIP Captain.

To the family my sincere condolences...If I were American..I'd ban Venezuela once and for all as a cruisng destination..this is not the first case AND not the last..just boycot crusing in the place.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
This is very sad and, as Cam has already stated, could turn into another emotionally laden (but factually bare thread).

But one glaring error needs to be corrected, both in the thread and in the title - this was a robbery which was perpetrated on persons on a boat, not piracy.

According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary:
Quote:
Main Entry: pi·ra·cy
Pronunciation: \ˈpī-rə-sē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural pi·ra·cies
Etymology: Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratēs pirate
Date: 1537
1: an act of robbery on the high seas ; also : an act resembling such robbery
2: robbery on the high seas
3 a: the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright b: the illicit accessing of broadcast signals
Quote:
Main Entry: rob·bery
Pronunciation: \ˈrä-b(ə-)rē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural rob·ber·ies
Date: 13th century
: the act or practice of robbing ; specifically : larceny from the person or presence of another by violence or threat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2008
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This was just posted on another board...very tragic.
I know this will generate another piracy/guns argument...but let's get further details before jumping to any conclusions.
The VZ coast remains dangerous and prudent cruisers would be wise to avoid it for the time being.

Last night an American, the owner/captain of the vessel Chill, Ken Peters, was killed by pirates at Isla Borracha near Puerto La Cruz. Ken and his wife Cathy were anchored with another boat I'Lean, Steve & Gloria Davis aboard. They were departing Puerto La Cruz from Bahía Redonda Marina headed west and stopped for the night to clean the boat bottoms and prepare for the voyage west. About 5:30 PM they were approached by 3 men in a piñero with pistols. Details are not clear this morning, but it seems the 2 American men resisted and in the ensuing gunfight Ken was killed and Steve injured but not badly. The Guarda Costa was called and responded and the 2 sailboats returned to PLC last night late. The widow, Cathy Peters, sailed her boat back with the help of a friend and guarded by a soldier. Steve sailed his boat back and the police recovered the body of Ken from I'Lean. It is expected that the body will be cremated here in Puerto La Cruz. It is especially horrible as Cathy just returned from the US having just buried her mother. The whole community here is in a state of shock and grief. A large scale exodus of cruisers is probable. We plan to depart in a few days, as was our plan previously.

To those who advocate armed resistance. maybe you need to rethink that. It is difficult to contemplate clearly and understand these things but violence is not the answer to violence. For sure it did not seem to be the answer in this case.

I don't get it Cam.

When I read it (maybe it was edited) it says this.

Last night an American, the owner/captain of the vessel Chill, Ken Peters, was killed by pirates at Isla Borracha near Puerto La Cruz. Ken and his wife Cathy were anchored with another boat I'Lean, Steve & Gloria Davis aboard. They were departing Puerto La Cruz from Bahía Redonda Marina headed west and stopped for the night to clean the boat bottoms and prepare for the voyage west. About 5:30 PM they were approached by 3 men in a piñero who asked for water. When Ken came back up from below with water, they shot him with pistols. Details are not clear this morning, but the other boat then shot at the pirates with a shotgun and killed one and injured another of the bandits. Ken was killed in the exchange and Steve injured but not badly. The Guarda Costa was called and responded and the 2 sailboats returned to PLC last night late. The widow, Cathy Peters, sailed her boat back with the help of a friend and guarded by a soldier. Steve sailed his boat back and the police recovered the body of Ken from I'Lean. It is expected that the body will be cremated here in Puerto La Cruz. It is especially horrible as Cathy just returned from the US having just buried her mother. The whole community here is in a state of shock and grief. A large scale exodus of cruisers is probable. We plan to depart in a few days, as was our plan previously.

To those who advocate armed resistance. maybe you need to rethink that. It is difficult to contemplate clearly and understand these things but violence is not the answer to violence. For sure it did not seem to be the answer in this case. How could any ordinary peaceful cruiser be prepared for such an eventuality? This is clearly a country in the process of self-destruction!

This return "violence" may have saved other cruisers lives.

I am sure more details will follow.
Old 11-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I don't get it Cam.

Sorry...don't understand what you don't get? I just gave the first report from a guy who was not at the scene. I am only suggesting we wait for confirmation and further details until we start picking it apart.
Old 11-09-2008

Quote:
I don't get it Cam.

Sorry...don't understand what you don't get? I just gave the first report from a guy who was not at the scene. I am only suggesting we wait for confirmation and further details until we start picking it apart.
Agreed.

I only noted that there seems to be an edit on the post because what you and I found on the other site differ in info.

I look forward to more/better info.
Old 11-09-2008
moderate?

Ahhhh...gotcha. Now I understand. Actually the post says it was edited today at 12:38pm by the author. Must have gotten some further detail between my post and yours. Thanks....
Old 11-09-2008

Quote:
Ahhhh...gotcha. Now I understand. Actually the post says it was edited today at 12:38pm by the author. Must have gotten some further detail between my post and yours. Thanks....
Last edited by Doug-Salacia on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

is what I see.

I have no idea what time it is........

Will wait with you for more info.

PS. My apology for not offering my condolences for all involved in this tragic event.
Old 11-09-2008
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Quote:

Damn, we all do it however we are again playing the Monday morning quarterback. I do not think it is safe nor fair to second guess what was going through the mens minds during the confrontation. "Resist" may mean something different to you compared to me or compared to the survivors. Unless you were there ( I do not mean you in specific Cam) and participated it is not fair to speculate with any kind of authority. It is a very fluid and dynamic situation. I am all for having "tools" available if in my experience, training and if the situation calls for the OPTION to use them or not. Having options is a good thing. Let us not limit ourselves or anyone else by our lack of training and resources.

my condolences for all involved in this tragic occurrence,

Jerry
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 11-09-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
They will think twice about robbing a boat again.
One of them is dead, another has been hit with a shotgun, and the third will remember what happened.

From what I read, the comments about armed resistance are pious.

I would be glad the shotgun was around when the shooting started. It really is good at curtailing a murder plan, particularly at close range.

I sure hope there is one around if that happens to me, or those close to me.

Last edited by Rockter; 11-09-2008 at 04:52 PM.