Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008
"Nevis Nice"

hphoen is on a distinguished road
I did the 'Round Delmarva in 2004 as a shakedown trip with my crew prior to heading offshore to the Caribbean. It's a great first-time-offshore experience.

We did the circuit in the counter-clockwise direction to take advantage of the prevailing southwesterlies on the offshore leg. It was late July, and the winds were light for a good part of the trip, so we exercised the engine more than I would have preferred.

We rounded Cape Henlopen into Delaware Bay at sundown, just at the beginning of the flood tide, and rode it all the way up the Bay, through the C&D Canal, and all the way down to Tolchester Beach! What a ride-it gave us a 1-2kt boost. The tide is something to seriously consider when transiting the Delaware Bay. You wouldn't want that 1-2 kts against you.

The entire trip was 384 nm, and took us 4-1/2 days, including one overnight stop at Solomon's Island.
Old 12-07-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
brokesailor, Im sure ZZ will get back to you soon. I am across the river in colonial beach. hope to see you on the water. Also check out sailnet member kjango he is in cob island and new to the area. Maybe we should all meet some time. Al
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2008
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Hello Bad SantaL I'm sure we've seen each other on the river. What is your boat's name?
Old 12-07-2008
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Delmarva

I may want to take this trip also. If I can work in the time off. I would be my first offshore in my own boat. I have been getting it prepped to go South on and it/we should be ready for offshore by then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 12-08-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Brokesailor, glad you're thinking of joining us. The more the merrier. Let me know if you're looking for crew, if so, what kind of boat you have.

All, if there is someone who has an image program that would allow one to take an image of the Peninsula and then draw over it (like photoshop) please let me know. I'd like to show where everyone will be coming and going on the loop so we can keep track if someone were to fall behind. I can prepare something in Autocad format and then PDF it to everyone involved. That will require me to get email address for everyone or I could host the image and post it up on sailnet. Please let me know what the best way to do this is. If I could get some help on a boat list that would great as well. One showing skippers names, boat name, screen name, and boat make and model, possibley sail numbers. It would help visiual recognition and keep in touch via VHF. I can also take care of this, but posting up the required info would help. I may start multiple threads asking for the info above and another for boats looking for crew.
Old 12-08-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All, if there is someone who has an image program that would allow one to take an image of the Peninsula and then draw over it (like photoshop) please let me know.
How about something like this for now?
Google Maps - SailNet Delmarva 2009

Just add your location and basic info. We can get more specific with emails and phone numbers later. (You'll need to be logged into Google to edit/add your info)

SOLARE
T-37 #442

Last edited by T37SOLARE; 12-08-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Awesome. I knew someone with more computer sense than I would step up. Thanks!

How do I add my location? Sorry, I'm slow.

Last edited by zz4gta; 12-08-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post

How do I add my location? Sorry, I'm slow.
You'll need to be logged into Google, then save to My Maps. You'll then see the edit button, add place mark at your location & hit save.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 12-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nicely done Solare.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-08-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
So I added my location and can see it, can you guys see me?