Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008

stroudw is on a distinguished road
zz4gta,
Interesting thought! I've been thinking about a Delmarva circumnavigation for several years. Where would you be starting from? I have a 36 foot Pearson in Rock Hall. My wife wouldn't be interested in coming and I'd be looking for crew if I were to join the flotilla. I could take a week off to do this so I'd want to be back in 9 days. This sounds like a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I'm telling my work I need 2 weeks off, but honestly don't expect (or hope) for it to take nearly that long. I figured if I allowed 2 weeks, 10 working days, then I would lessen the urgency of trying to get it done in short order. I'm meeting a few of the 'boys' tonight for drinks to discus dates. I'm thinking late May or June. Weather shouldn't be too bad.
Old 11-13-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroudw View Post
zz4gta,
Interesting thought! I've been thinking about a Delmarva circumnavigation for several years. Where would you be starting from? I have a 36 foot Pearson in Rock Hall. My wife wouldn't be interested in coming and I'd be looking for crew if I were to join the flotilla. I could take a week off to do this so I'd want to be back in 9 days. This sounds like a great idea.
The 2 guys I'm meeting tonight are looking for a boat, I will definitely let you know. Both of them have boats, but neither is comfortable taking them offshore. Both I believe are near the South river / Rhode river.

Edit: how about I answer all your questions! lol anyway, I'll be starting from mid-bay out of the Potomac, badsanta is also in that area. I plan to do a clockwise trip, weather and wind cooperating.

Last edited by zz4gta; 11-13-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
A few years back (late '90s, maybe), a retired CG Captain did this trip in his Bayfield 25, solo. He recounted the trip, in serial format, in Messing About in Boats. It was a good read.

He was able to transit several of the many small inlets along the Atlantic coast of Delmarva, south of Ocean City. He emphasized that charts were unreliable in this area due to constantly shifting shoals. He made a point of contacting the local Coast Guard stations to get the very latest local knowledge before entering an inlet. In some cases, they came out and showed him the way in (possibly because of his CG connections).

One of the things that sticks in my memory from that account was the trouble he had with bugs/flies/mosquitoes. I think he set-off in mid-May to try to avoid the worst of them, but they were still pretty bad.

With adequate prep and precautions, I would think the improved sailing ability of your Merit would be an advantage, if not quite as comfortable as the Bayfield 25.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-13-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
If you google delmarva circumnavigation you'll find several good articles including one by the guy that did the Chesapeake lights website.
Old 11-13-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
ZZ

I've made this a goal for myself for next year as well... We may just get a bunch of us...!

I'm planning on taking a month or so off this summer too... Late May - June is so far kinda open for my schedule...

I think Cruising World (I KNOW you don't have a subscription to that non racing rag) had an article last year in a Delmarva C-Nav.

Craig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
Old 11-13-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I would be very interested in making this trip in my boat. Please keep me in mind for starting dates and a meeting or jump off place.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I think it's called Chinocotegue? An inlet south of Ocean City. It looks like there is good depth all the way in if you are careful to avoid the shoaling spots. Does this spot change to often to be usabale?
Old 11-13-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
ZZ, I thought you were at Dahlgren, if so you are above me in colonial beach and I am 40 miles to the Chesapeake. Cobb island is across the river from me. Keep me posted.
Old 11-13-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Clockwise around I hope? Y'all can start down there in the boonies and head up to the Magothy to my place...!

I love

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.