Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Santa, I just did a trip from Cobb (Pirate's Den Marina) to St. George is. I thought it was only ~26 miles to the bay?

C2, as you saw, chuck is down for a partial trip. I'd be more than happy to pick up a crew member on my boat, but its a stripped racer. Nothing but essentials down below (sails, sh!tter, and safety gear). If you want to do it in your own boat, get with Chuck and meet us up near the Del canal. Or somewhere else. I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking to make some pretty good time on this trip considering most can only take off a week at a time. 6 days seems to be the norm with decent weather. BTW I actually have a subscription to Ches. bay boater, so I'm not ALL racer. However, if you'd like to make a friendly wager to which would include a drink or two, I'd be down to see who crosses the tunnel first! hahaha

Xort, I was under the impression that after OC there were places south of that but all had shoals that moved without warning.

Freesail, keep this page on your favorites, b/c the guys I talked to tonight are all about making the trip. If you could find a decent spot to meet you, I'm sure we could time it right to swing by.

For anyone else who is thinking of meeting up, don't be afraid to say so, I'm getting PMs about people wanting to do the trip and either provide a boat or crew for someone else. Should be a blast and the longest part of the trip seems to be the offshore section between OC and the mouth of the bay. If your on the way, please suggest local places that are sailboat friendly so we can pin down some good spots and start planning specific days. Late may/ early June is looking pretty good right now. If we can plan it over labor day weekend, then that would give us an extra day to sail w/o having to use vacation time.

For anyone who wants a great ride, I plan to take a full set of sails to include 2 mains, 2 jibs, one genoa, and 2 chutes. Just in case we get a little over confident blow out a couple.

I'll keep ya posted.

Last edited by zz4gta; 11-13-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2008

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I think it's called Chinocotegue? An inlet south of Ocean City. It looks like there is good depth all the way in if you are careful to avoid the shoaling spots. Does this spot change to often to be usabale?
Chincotegue is note a good place for putting in. Heavy watermen traffic, shallow depth and changing channel with bad shoaling. Also no marinas to speak of. Its pretty much a run all the way outside unless you have less than 3 ft draft.
Old 11-13-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Cool! Your idea of "pretty good time".. as compared to others may be different! hehhehe.... (I think we have the same idea of what that means though..)

Thinkin' of takin' my boat and convincing my Dad to join on his too!

Safety in numbers!

Totally interested!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2008

C2 re-read for edit.

My point exactly on the safety in numbers. I don't want this to turn into a BFS thread.
Old 11-13-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
C2 re-read for edit.

My point exactly on the safety in numbers. I don't want this to turn into a BFS thread.
HAHah!

No worries on the BFS! (although I don't hate that thread....)

This could turn out to be a great cruise...!! Perhaps a "splash" of competition thrown in for good measure provided it doesn't detract from the fun of the whole thing... Primary objective should be in my opinion "great experience and camaraderie."

[start condescending voice] I think it's cute how you think you can sail faster than me. Cute. Really. Cute.... [pats you on top of the head]

ANYWAY....

Totally a great idea.. maybe we could come up with a rough plan of stops along the way. Then, everyday [or every other day or on select legs] could be a race between you and I (and any others) to the next rendezvous point. Winner get's a free beer or three that evening...

That would maintain the primary objective (my opinion) of a great cruise and camaraderie while adding a few legs of competitive fun along the way for those that are interested! Just a suggestion...

Fun Discussion!

I love
Old 11-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post

[start condescending voice] I think it's cute how you think you can sail faster than me. Cute. Really. Cute.... [pats you on top of the head]
Can you even see the top of my head? lmao And you had better win, considering you boat rates a lot faster. Are you prepared to give me 30 seconds a mile? 144 to 174? If not, maybe 2:1 odds? This could get REAL interesting. what does it take you to plane? 40knts on the stern?
Size matters little in a stiff breeze with big rollers.

Quote:
Totally a great idea.. maybe we could come up with a rough plan of stops along the way. Then, everyday [or every other day or on select legs] could be a race between you and I (and any others) to the next rendezvous point. Winner get's a free beer or three that evening...
I'm down, sounds like a good way to get some friendly competition together with little or nothing to lose but pride. And I lost all of that a long time ago.

Quote:
That would maintain the primary objective (my opinion) of a great cruise and camaraderie while adding a few legs of competitive fun along the way for those that are interested! Just a suggestion...
Fun Discussion!
Agreed. If anyone is interested in a point A to point B race post up, it would definitely keep people interested in making good time. Nothing too serious obviously.
Old 11-13-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Quote:
Can you even see the top of my head? lmao And you had better win, considering you boat rates a lot faster. Are you prepared to give me 30 seconds a mile? 144 to 174? If not, maybe 2:1 odds? This could get REAL interesting. what does it take you to plane? 40knts on the stern?
Size matters little in a stiff breeze with big rollers.
Nice one!

We can work some PHRFing into this in a very subtle sort of way. You can get up at 6 and start and I'll roll out of the bunk at 730 or so....!

40 knots on the stern indeed... (note to self need to get the chute)

Tell you what. If you get tired, we can always pull your boat along as a dinghy behind mine.

I love
Old 11-13-2008

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
We attempted a circumnavigation last summer from Galesville south to go out to the canyons and fish under sail 30 miles out of the entrance taking a round route to Cape May. Great start buy we ran into rough weather in the middle of the night at the mouth, lost the engine, and decided to sail back to the mouth of the Rappahanock and recover. Sailed back home. Now everything is fixed and may try it again next summer, but I allocated only six days for the whole thing. (We sailed in shifts). Here's a couple pics and clips of the trip.
Picasa Web Albums - Moe - JuneSailFishi...

Moe
Old 11-13-2008

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiguere View Post
We attempted a circumnavigation last summer from Galesville south to go out to the canyons and fish under sail 30 miles out of the entrance taking a round route to Cape May. Great start buy we ran into rough weather in the middle of the night at the mouth, lost the engine, and decided to sail back to the mouth of the Rappahanock and recover. Sailed back home. Now everything is fixed and may try it again next summer, but I allocated only six days for the whole thing. (We sailed in shifts). Here's a couple pics and clips of the trip.
Picasa Web Albums - Moe - JuneSailFishi...

Moe
Moe, we'd be delighted to have you join us for the trip.

Quote:
We can work some PHRFing into this in a very subtle sort of way. You can get up at 6 and start and I'll roll out of the bunk at 730 or so....!
40 knots on the stern indeed... (note to self need to get the chute)
Tell you what. If you get tired, we can always pull your boat along as a dinghy behind mine
I have a friend with a chute from a flying scott you could cut your teeth on. Don't want to "over power" your cruiser. :P
And I saw those "trophies" you posted in another thread. I've set off mortars on the 4th of July that were double the size of those paper weights.

Disclaimer: I used to drag race/ street race for the better part of a decade, so trash talking is as important as the actual race.

Back on topic. We need to look at tides, prevailing winds, ports of interest, and try to get a head count of who's a definite. I'll come up with a list tomorrow when I should be working.
Old 11-13-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Quote:
Moe, we'd be delighted to have you join us for the trip.

I have a friend with a chute from a flying scott you could cut your teeth on. Don't want to "over power" your cruiser. :P
And I saw those "trophies" you posted in another thread. I've set off mortars on the 4th of July that were double the size of those paper weights.

Disclaimer: I used to drag race/ street race for the better part of a decade, so trash talking is as important as the actual race.

Back on topic. We need to look at tides, prevailing winds, ports of interest, and try to get a head count of who's a definite. I'll come up with a list tomorrow when I should be working.

C R U I S E R ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Those yahoo's don't know what a traveler is for!!!

Oh.. I will throw your monkey butt overboard when you least expect it!

I hope the water is COOOOOLLLLDDDDDDDD.. you SOB.

I'm calling in a photoshopairstrike from Gui right now. I have pics.. OH I HAVE PICS!

I love