SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Does the concept of "third rail" mean anything to you?

5K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  hertfordnc 
#1 · (Edited)
I think that the nasty pirate types may have unintentionally discovered its meaning. :eek:

Raiding the occasional tramp steamer and luxury yacht will get you press and an occasional flyover and some impotent support for the local coast guard, this action will get you gray ships loaded with serious (i.e. lethal) equipment and the capability to effectively utilize it.

#37 ·
Still an issue of naval vessel tasking, read: budget and to a lesser extent; political termperature at the Pentagon. Remember, we're back into Dem. controlled executive and legislative branches. The last time this happened, Both bases I served out of turned into commercial real estate. Military spending was the first on the chopping block.

For better or worse, the predominant philosophy is "we aren't the worlds police".

It just occured to me, the cliche "It'll take an act of congress..." won't even work here, not until the legislative isn't a political (I didn't say functional) extension of the executive, or vice versa.

Off rant. Time to switch to decaf.... ;-)

#38 ·
Actually, reading the polical tea leaves I'd say this might be a very bad time to be a pirate. Republicans have nothing to prove when it comes to agressive response. Barak Obama is a very smart man, if this is his first "test" he may feel that the smart thing to do is raise the body count quickly and mercilessly. He certainly can't let himself be emabarrased by theses thugs. If there is a violent solution then It's really a perfect opporunity for him. THere won't be a lot of sympathy for the pirates and we don't have to kill all that many of them to stop the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.