Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008

chibb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Chibb, just curious ... why is one of your legs along the south Brazilian, Uruguayan and Argentine coasts planned as an offshore leg with a stop at Trindade? (at least it looks like Trindade- the map is garbled on my screen). Is it on the way down or back up that you plan on going offshore? Also, what months are you planning on going down the coast? There are better times in the year to do that stretch, although north of Rio any time of the year is going to be fine with a minimal amount of weather watching. And by the way, great choice of cruising grounds!
I presume from you Bio that you're currently cruising Brazil? Any suggestions on good sources of info, haven't found all that much on cruising in Brazil. Thanks, Chibb.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2008

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Chibb, it's just that I've never heard of anyone going offshore like that before. Normally everyone just goes back up the coast, usually riding the tails of cold fronts, depending on the season. I don't think the current is that strong onshore, or at least I've never noticed it ...
As far as information on cruising Brazil- there isn't all that much in English (or even Portuguese for that matter). You woud do well to buy Marçal Ceccon's book on cruising Brazil. There's an English version. I'll find a link and post it for you later. If you need anything, just let me know.
Old 11-26-2008

A final comment- if you are on a limited schedule, you're taking on a lot of area for cruising. It'd be a shame to do it in a hurry. Between Recife and Santos you have some pretty amazing cruising areas. Enough for years of cruising really. If Buenos Aires is part of your plans (and it should be), you might give thought to leaving the boat in Santos and taking a bus down through Uruguay to BA.
Old 11-26-2008

Chibb, it's the fourth book on the list. The link is to a nautical bookshop. I'm pretty sure they can take a VISA order and ship to you. Do you read in Portuguese? If yes, I can provide a few more sources.

A Moana Livros especializada em Náutica e Aventura
Old 11-26-2008

Chibb, I can't seem to stop posting! Another quick thought. There is a wonderful cruizing rally that leaves Buenos Aires under the name "Crucero de la Amistad", going north picking up boats in Uruguay and sothern Brazil and joins up with another rally in southern Brazil till Rio. In Rio it then joins up with another rally called the "Cruzeiro Costa Leste" that goes up to Recife. It's an informal rally and nothing at all like you imagine a rally to be (ARC etc.). Very informal, a good group of people, modest boats and unpretentious. The fees are cheap and don't even begin to cover all the free T-shirts, BBQs and meals in port, not to mention berthing at yacht clubs. Anyhow, once they all get to Recife most join the Refeno race (Recife to Fernando de Noronha). Again, more light-hearted fun. You can even join a rally that goes back to Cabedelo from Fernando de Noronha sposored by the municipal government of Cabedelo. They pamper the participants with more free food, berthing and parties. If you still have a liver after all this, you can then head north to the Caribbean (almost all downhill from there).
Old 11-26-2008

A link with a map:

:: Associação Brasileira de Velejadores de Cruzeiro::
Old 11-26-2008

chibb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Chibb, I can't seem to stop posting! Another quick thought. There is a wonderful cruizing rally that leaves Buenos Aires under the name "Crucero de la Amistad", going north picking up boats in Uruguay and sothern Brazil and joins up with another rally in southern Brazil till Rio. In Rio it then joins up with another rally called the "Cruzeiro Costa Leste" that goes up to Recife. It's an informal rally and nothing at all like you imagine a rally to be (ARC etc.). Very informal, a good group of people, modest boats and unpretentious. The fees are cheap and don't even begin to cover all the free T-shirts, BBQs and meals in port, not to mention berthing at yacht clubs. Anyhow, once they all get to Recife most join the Refeno race (Recife to Fernando de Noronha). Again, more light-hearted fun. You can even join a rally that goes back to Cabedelo from Fernando de Noronha sposored by the municipal government of Cabedelo. They pamper the participants with more free food, berthing and parties. If you still have a liver after all this, you can then head north to the Caribbean (almost all downhill from there).
Thank you very much for all that information, I shall have a look at the book, unfortunately I don't know portuguese. The rally sounds like it could be very good fun! Many thanks, Chibb
Old 11-26-2008

If I can think of anything else in English I'll let you know. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try answering them for you.
Old 11-26-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, there was a Contessa 26 in our harbor near St Louis, MO, USA a month ago called "BIKA" that sailed from Norway. Google can find their website, it is interesting reading. Although lighter weight than your Tom Thumb, she's roughly the same size and sail area. Their web site shows their route, time for crossing, etc. They took out the diesel and attached an outboard (I think it was 10 HP) to increase storage space. They crossed from the African coast to South America in 19 days, as I recall. If you use the same route and figure 25 days for a heavier boat, bring 40 days worth of food--things happen! Bika is now on her way to the Galapagos, planning to truck across Mexico to avoid high cost of the Panama Canal.

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.