SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Income while crusing?

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
I am looking for people who have a source of income while crusing. Not really looking for info about retirement based income, just supplimental income ideas.

I would like to hear some of your success stories.

What do you do for income?
What are "in-demand" skills that are a source of income while cruising?

#8 ·
TIG and MIG welders don't travel well on small sailboat... either do the supplies necessary to run them.
Learn to weld stainless and aluminum.
Post a sighn on the stern that says welding.

Forget about income.Just "CHARGE: what they can afford..:)
You will work for Rooster Bullits...And enjoy it....:D

Mark

#4 ·
So much of it depends on where you want to cruise and how much income you need. Do your homework about outsiders working without a VISA and also insurance. There are some places that will not tolerate that. You don't want to lose your boat for a few extra dollars.

#6 ·
Also, anyone handy with engines and other mechanical stuff, and/or good with electronics and software will likely find it possible to earn/barter along the way.

#7 ·
Interest income? Even a little bit of investment income would be a good thing to have. Of course there's 2 problems with that, making the money to invest and knowing where to put it (especially these days).

#9 ·
If there is good, easy money to be had, a lot of people would be doing it. And if there is a lot of money, the local gov't will be looking for you for working without a permit.

So you will need a task that few people can do and that can easily fly under the radar.

#10 ·
Also, it should require a minimal amount of equipment and materials. Welding is fine if you have a shop, but not so good if you're based on a boat. Diesel engine repair might be a good choice, since you'd probably be carrying most of the tools required anyways, and they're not going to take up a lot of extra space as a result. However, materials and repair parts are a problem for a traveling diesel maintenance person. :)

Writing is an excellent profession for a cruising sailor... but requires skills that most do not have, and is a hard way to make a living for most.

A lot of the IT professions can be done with relatively minimal equipment...since many would require just a laptop and a decent internet connection. This works when you're in ports with decent internet access, but isn't as viable if you're anchored out or on passage.
If there is good, easy money to be had, a lot of people would be doing it. And if there is a lot of money, the local gov't will be looking for you for working without a permit.

So you will need a task that few people can do and that can easily fly under the radar.

#11 ·
My plan for income while cruising is to do some freelance writing. As noted earlier, this is not for everyone and a very hard way to earn money. I think this will work for me because this is what I have been doing fulltime for the past 13 years.

#12 ·
Have talked with a few mechanic'c who live a board and there was one thing which would really boost their income that was an injector testor. As well have learned from these fellows that they want for nothing, as they are always busy no matter where the port. Asked about problems with the locals in doing such work, they said never had any, but have been referred by the locals to help others.

#15 ·
Sorry Xort, being a manwhore isn't an option for most of us... :) :laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher
I know an easy job that any cruiser can do, it requires no equipment investment, it requires very little time and generates about $1000/week.

It's

#16 ·
making enough to enjoy lying on the deck

Diesel/Gas engine repair is good as is HVACR in tropical climates. I would also look into computer repair and/or software service/support. If you can successfully disassemble and reassemble a laptop....you are golden.

Kary

#19 ·
Anyone have specific examples of IT work they have done while cruising? I work in the IT field now and it would be interesting to hear from some of you that have done this while cruising. Types of IT work you performed, locations, typical rates you charged, etc...

#21 ·
xort, it is a good skill to have but at least in most (all?) US states, cutting hair without a barber's license is a MAJOR no no. Barbers are supposedly the world's second oldest guild, and you'd have to work very quietly if it was in a regulated area. "Professional license" required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.