Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Mississippi, Missouri Rivers - Cruising?

Alrighty then...... here goes....

Who's done it, what have you learned?

I've been digging through the site and looking to see if anyone has ever "toured" or cruised up/down and through the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers.

I'm looking for stories, experiences, information and anything in the way of helpful information - has anyone ever done this, or considered doing it.

I noted there are a few mentions of persons taking boats down the Mississippi to the Gulf. I'd especially like to hear from them, with their experiences, including things like stops made along the way, sites seen, shopping excursions, issues with finding a place to dock and so forth.

Thanks!!

Rick

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2008

Jonesee is on a distinguished road
Do a google search on "the great loop". The path makes a circle of the Great lakes, out to east coast, the ICW around the east coast and through the gulf and then back up north through the rivers and nav channels back to Great Lakes. Alot of trawlers do this.
Old 12-05-2008

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
The problem is going to be the bridges. There are a lot of them and they don't move. The only way under is to unstep the mast.
Old 12-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
Do a google search on "the great loop". The path makes a circle of the Great lakes, out to east coast, the ICW around the east coast and through the gulf and then back up north through the rivers and nav channels back to Great Lakes. Alot of trawlers do this.
Already have. I'm asking here for personal experiences folks here have had.

It seems I can read all the books in the world and that's great, but getting someone to actually write their real experiences is soooooo much better

I have looked at a few things about the "Great Loop" (and some call it the "Great Circle" - to me a "great circle" is a course scribed on a globe... but, ok )

I'm considering doing "the Great Loop" myself. My wife and I want to do this perhaps as one of the first things we do when we start cruising, before we start doing ocean travel of any sort. We've been in almost every state (I'm missing five of them, she's missing many of the western states) along the Mississippi, Great Lakes and up and down the East Coast.

Both of us have traveled extensively - on the highways and in planes... but, are thinking about how really neat it would be to see things from a completely different perspective.

And - others' experiences are certainly something we'd like to take into account!

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-05-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
I believe its usually done in the reverse flow.
Most head South on the Rivers; Miss, Ohio and through Kentucky Lake to the Tenn-Tom waterway. You than enter the Gulf at Mobile Bay.
The reason is that going against the currents on the Miss especially in the spring is not very fesible for long distances. I might be wrong and there is a memeber here that is located on the Miss that can corect me, but its very difficult to make miles when going against strong currents on the river.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 12-05-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
I believe its usually done in the reverse flow.
Most head South on the Rivers; Miss, Ohio and through Kentucky Lake to the Tenn-Tom waterway. You than enter the Gulf at Mobile Bay.
The reason is that going against the currents on the Miss especially in the spring is not very fesible for long distances. I might be wrong and there is a memeber here that is located on the Miss that can corect me, but its very difficult to make miles when going against strong currents on the river.
No, you're absolutely correct. The loop makes a counter-clockwise circle. Most folks are in the north in the summer, travel the Mississippi in the fall, winter in the Gulf and Florida and make the northward journey in the spring time. All seems pretty logical to me.

I lived in DC for 8 years right on the confluence of the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers. I used to canoe out there all summer long, took my kids out there when they were little. Never sailed it, but we watched boats and ships come through all the time.

I always thought back then how I'd like to travel down the Mississippi.

When I was a child a cousin and I built a raft. We worked for a few weeks on the thing in the spring time and dragged it to a creek one summer day. Threw our little bags full of food and water "aboard" and climbed on, poled off the "shore" and "set sail".

We found ourselves a bit later (couple of hours) in a river mouth which, basically SUCKED us out of the creek while we were trying to turn around. We had no paddles but I'd made a rudder so we were able to steer it and not hit anything.

Problem was, we couldn't stop.

We went down that river almost into Tennessee.

I've always wanted to do the "Huck Finn" thing ever since, but... on the real Mississippi and perhaps with a bit better luck, experience and good crew. hehehe.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspiker View Post
The problem is going to be the bridges. There are a lot of them and they don't move. The only way under is to unstep the mast.
So you've done this yourself?

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
No, you're absolutely correct. The loop makes a counter-clockwise circle. Most folks are in the north in the summer, travel the Mississippi in the fall, winter in the Gulf and Florida and make the northward journey in the spring time. All seems pretty logical to me.

I lived in DC for 8 years right on the confluence of the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers. I used to canoe out there all summer long, took my kids out there when they were little. Never sailed it, but we watched boats and ships come through all the time.

I always thought back then how I'd like to travel down the Mississippi.

When I was a child a cousin and I built a raft. We worked for a few weeks on the thing in the spring time and dragged it to a creek one summer day. Threw our little bags full of food and water "aboard" and climbed on, poled off the "shore" and "set sail".

We found ourselves a bit later (couple of hours) in a river mouth which, basically SUCKED us out of the creek while we were trying to turn around. We had no paddles but I'd made a rudder so we were able to steer it and not hit anything.

Problem was, we couldn't stop.

We went down that river almost into Tennessee.

I've always wanted to do the "Huck Finn" thing ever since, but... on the real Mississippi and perhaps with a bit better luck, experience and good crew. hehehe.
Very funny read, glad you survived and did not get run over by a paddle-wheeler. Good story. and Good luck with your future cruising!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-05-2008
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
Not sure how current the site is, but I found it an interesting read
Spirit of Independence Sailboat Charter Service
They had a small sail shop in Independence Mo, built the boat at their "yard"
and headed down the river. Never got to see the boat finished, but I did see when it was still sitting in the back lot. A boat that size sitting in the middle of Independence Mo is kind of hard to miss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-05-2008

Nonjy, I forgot to mention it, but my latest addition of Lake Land Boating's Lake Michigan Ports-O-Call cruising guide has a section dedicated to the trip south and the Tenn - Tom. Lakeland Boating: Cruise Guide Michigan