SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

DIY yard in East Florida

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  capn_dave 
#1 ·
I plan to return to the US from the Bahamas for a while to do some much needed maintenance and upgrading. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced DIY yard on the central Florida Atlantic coast where I can leave a boat for a few months. I can do in the ater most of the time but need to go on the hard for a few weeks to do the bottom work.

Dick Pluta
Aegea
Islander Freeport 41

#2 ·
Come in the Ft. Pierce inlet and go traight in to Crackerboys yard for the on the hard stuff. Right next door is Harbortown Marina if you need to be in the water for a while. Crackerboy has NO slips...they hav a nice lift and good yard help and you can contract with locals for sevices or do it yourself. You may have to play the tide for haulout...but we did it with 6' at high tide with no problem.

#5 ·
Green Springs Cove

Cap'n Dave,

Is the only access through Jacksonville? I'd rather be further south but this place sounds great for repairs. I also have a marina where I have stayed before near downtown for in the water so JAX, while it's a bit out of the way, is attractive.

Dick

#6 ·
Cape Marina at Canaveral will allow you to DIY.

Harbortown Marina will not, and I don't think the other marinas in the Port will either.

I was on the hard at Cape Marina early this year for about 5 weeks to do a lot of painting, and I found the folks there to be nice. They do have a funny pricing policy intended to get you out of the yard quickly (it rises over time).

If you need to live aboard while on the hard, Cape Marina allows you to do so.

#7 ·
Sorry Dick

But the only way to get here is through Jacksonville. The marina is the last stop up river from Jacksonville due to bridge clearance. The bridge just south of the marina has 45' clearance. Comming from the ocean or the ICW the lowest fixed bridge is 65'.
FYI the St. Johns runs south to north.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.