Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008

micksbuddy is on a distinguished road
I'd do Bimini for clearing in, quick & easy. I took a slip at the little marina just south of the customs dock, it was pretty cheap(like .70/foot) when I was there in '07. Then you can stop in Nassau to provision if you want without worrying about customs there, then head on over to the Exumas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2008

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
Just a quick note on clearing into Bimini. I couldn't find my "Q" flag so I tied a yellow dishtowel to the flag halyard, hoping no one would notice. I needen't have worried. I checked into Browns marina and asked the dockmaster to contact Customs and Immigration, just as I customarily do in Nassau. He said "No need. It's just down the street.". I went over. paid my cruising fee and asked where Immigration was. They said "right next door". Well, next door was a little about 10 x 20 shed, divided into two halves. One half was the Bahamas Tourist Board and the other was Immigration. I walked past a rather large fellow sitting in a golf cart in front of the building, reading. I said "Good afternoon". He looked up from his book, replied "Good afternoon" and went back to his reading. I went inside and found the building empty. I called out "Hello". No answer. I waited a few minutes and looked in the back room behind the counter. Empty. I went outside and asked the man in the golf cart if there was anyone from Immigration about. He replied "I guess dot would be me". We went inside and 5 minutes later we walked out, me with my Immigration forms and him back to his book. I love island time.

BTW, don't buy anything in Bimin if you can help it. I went into the Butler and Sands liquor store to pick up a bottle of rum. It was $16. I said "I only pay about half that at your store in Nassau". He replied "That's because here it's imported".

Dick
Old 12-26-2008
Sailor

CanDrac is on a distinguished road
Bimini sounds like the place to start (although Browns is now up to $1.75/foot). May be able to hop over from Miami during daylight. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2008

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
Another error. It wasn't Browns. It was the Bimini Blue Water Resort. Sounds a lot more elegant than it is but a nice place nonetheless.

Dick
Old 12-31-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
john
Is this YOUR cruising guide?
Commercial posting, advertising your products is bad form and not allowed. Take out an ad.
sailadventures is johns website and is totally a commercial site.

Last edited by xort; 12-31-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2009

Zoo is on a distinguished road
Hi Dick
My husband and I do the Bahamas run from time to time. Morgan's Bluff is an excellent place for customs. You have no problem with depth in the channel. It is dredged for commercial barges and ships. Andros supplies 40% of the water for Nassau.
We normaly leave from Cowspen, Plantation Key. Early so when we cross the Snake Creek bridge it is on demand.
We (why is this line on?) sail to South Riding Rock, spend the night in the banks, then arrive in Morgan's Bluff around 1400 hours. You anchor in 10 to 12 feet of depth, drop dinghy, go through small opening in front of you, dock by gas station, ask the lady to call customs. It takes them about an hour to drive. Very courteus and attending. Pay the $300 cash only, and of you go. We spent 2 nights there last trip, very nice, quiet, but do not want to be on this anchorage with a North wind.
We then went to Fresh creek. Most people don't go there, although we don't know why. It is quaint town, small. Did you know there is a US Coast Guard base in Andros? Do you know if your a diver, Fresh Creek offers the best dives in the Bahamas other than the Jimentos? We are talking 90 ft deep. Excellent reef, f
ishes galore!!! A great dive. The anchorage is protected in all kinds of winds.
May I recommend you pick up the "
Explorer Chartbooks". They are excellent!!!!
Allens Cay, another one of our favorite Islands. Enjoy!!
for more information you can email me at zootoo28@gmail.com
I do not check internet everyday, but will answer you.
Old 01-04-2009

billangiep is on a distinguished road
From Marinas.com....Morgan's Bluff and Fresh Creek inlet
Morgan's Bluff Commercial Harbor Dock in Andros, Bahamas. Buy high quality framed images, prints, t-shirts. Up to date marine weather, services information, and photos

Fresh Creek Inlet - Andros, Bahamas. Buy high quality framed images, prints, t-shirts. Up to date marine weather, services information, and photos
Old 01-05-2009
Sailor

CanDrac is on a distinguished road
Thanks all! This was very helpful. billangiep, I love your signature!! I guess sometimes a lot depends on the size of the first bag...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2013

PanManDart is on a distinguished road
Re: Andros in the Bahamas

I also need to sail one or two Catalina 30's to south Eleuthera Davis Harbor, any best quickest routes? Clear at Davis...
Old 02-02-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Andros in the Bahamas

Just Clear at Bimini, and cary on across the banks at night, hang a right once you pass Andros and sail down the Tounge.