Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2002

bdkorth is on a distinguished road
Taking the initial steps....

Hi, a note from the landlocked sailors to be from Idaho. First major steps towards working into being financially able to cruise in a few years are currently being taken. A bit overwhelming to start selling off the things that I have worked so hard to purchase over the years, all in the interest of lowering payments per month. The expensive house is next to go for one cheap enough to be able to rent out while cruising. Any advice from anyone that has gone through this? Any good books written by folks about going through this? What experiences have folks had regarding dumping their ''big home'' stuff and switching over to ''small home'' stuff that fits on a boat in 3 years. I am probably just looking to see if this sounds as crazy as all of the landlocked, never sailed before people here in Idaho say this is....
Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

This is just second-hand information, but may still be helpful. As I have done my research to date, I have come across hundreds of anecdotes from folks who have adopted the cruising life. Most of them said they were glad they had greatly simplified their lives; that in itself reaped many rewards. Some did it in measured stages; others did it quickly at the end.

Of course, there are a lot of folks who find that cruising (or living aboard) really isn''t for them, or they eventually get into a health situation where they give it up. At that point, you need to transition back to a land-based life, so you either have to plan in advance for how to do that, or you just cross that bridge when you come to it. Only you will know how you like to approach "problems" like that.

Hopefully, someone else will have better info for you as far as good books to read on the subject. Best of luck to you.

Duane
Old 09-13-2002

rookie00 is on a distinguished road

Several resources are available to you. I suggest you continue using the resources availble on sailnet.com. Once you have read all the good stuff here, goto www.cruisenews.net. this site has an abundance of useful information and first-hand accounts of people who have made the decision to change their life, for the better, and how they did it. Also, there you will find websites of cruisers who maintain, current, journals of their adventures.
Old 09-17-2002

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I will always use sailnet, it is invaluable, in my opinion. Thanks for referring me to cruisenews. It is a great site to fuel the dream.

Again, thank you. Nice to hear from people that think along the same dreamlines that we do.

Brad
Old 09-23-2002

sail1dzn is on a distinguished road

BD:

I am reading an EXCELLENT reference right now on this subject, and recommend it highly. It is "The Crusing Life" by Jim Trefethen. What I like most about it is that it does not try to teach you how to sail, navigate, choose ground tackle, shorten sail in a storm, blah, blah, blah. All good stuff, mind you, but this book is written about the LIFESTYLE, and speaks to the questions - do I DO this, and if so, HOW?

Once you get through this book, if you are still up to the challenge, the next one to read is Beth Leonard''s "The Voyager''s Handbook." This is the first book you want to read to learn the "WHAT I need to know" before you set out on a boat and try to "wing it." I''ve seen enough bad weather on boats (without having serious blue water experience) to know there''s a whole lot of respect owed to the seas... I got caught in a serious Gale in the BVI last December, and without my boat handling skills, I could have been in some pretty serious trouble. Not tooting my own horn here, but I was VERY happy that when put to the test I didn''t have to think too much.

After you get through Beth''s book, then move on to Jimmy Cornell - "The Cruiser''s Handbook" and "World Cruising Routes." I haven''t gotten this far yet myself, but I''ve heard from more than one source that these are must-read''s in the planning stages.

Also on my reading list will be one of Lyn and Larry Pardee''s books because I think the minimalist approach is the best way to do it and I understand that''s their philosophy as well.

Hope these recommendations give you some confidence in these resources. There''s a lot to read, and if you''re like me you hate wasting your time and money on books that are all a bunch of fluff.

As for selling off your stuff... Just do it. I left a 2,700 sqf home and now live in a small, 3 br, rented house paying 1/3 the housing expense. I have 1/2 as much stuff, and am "that much closer" to the water. Let me tell you something... It feels great!

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Brad, you''re asking for input on what for some is a critical issue re: shoving off and going cruising. It''s easy & inviting to just jump over to the ''sell it all'' choice but, in reality, there''s a mix of financial & personal issues that can influence this decision in multiple ways.

As one example, we''re currently at the dock of friends who are facing this issue. The man is all gung ho despite not having done any long-term cruising. The couple don''t have enough $$ to cruise indefinitely, which means returning to work at some point. Where will they do that? Well, most of their professional contacts and future employment network is right here. Moreover, the wife is keen to go cruising ''to see what she thinks'' but it''s a huge leap for her to sign up indefinitely for something she''s never done. How will she like it? How much will it cost, which in turn will affect how long they stay away? Where will they go? And she''s not sure she wants to give up the choice of returning to her home if cruising disappoints. These are all unknowns to them. They have waterfront property that they will likely never again be able to afford if buying from scratch. (See how complex this becomes?) Beyond these personal issues is the alleged/possible/likely (take your pick) ''real estate bubble'' that may/may not pop; do they lose equity if not selling?

As they puzzle their way thru this (no firm conclusion yet), they find it easy to identify a financial and emotional rationale for each of the following choices:
1. Sell now, move stuff into a small condo that''s easily managed while they''re away, and a ''home'' they can always return to when/if a break from cruising is needed.
2. Rent for a year (they''re next to a local college; ''good'' renters looking for upscale property shouldn''t be that hard to find), see how it goes, and make this decision when more knowledge is in-hand.
3. Rent long-term, enjoy the huge positive cash flow which will fund cruising substantially, save all the decisions for the next phase of their lives, and deal with the cost/complexity/logistics that rental property brings with it.

None of these choices are perfect. They all have tax implications. They are all related to investment assumptions the couple are making. What should they do? Well, whatever it is...it will be a very personal choice and it can''t be easily generalized.

A final thought: I really agree with the referral to Beth Leonard''s book, most especially the financial planning segment up front. Because of her & Evans consulting background, she approaches financial planning re: cruising in very clear, building-block manner and I think her approach is ''real'' and worth considering. It should play into your real estate decision to some extent.

Good luck; tough issue.

Jack
Old 10-01-2002

Wow, lots of input. I sure do appreciate it. This is a spooky place in transition. We spend our whole lives building ''stability'' and buying our dream houses, competing with the ''Joneses'' etc... It is spooky to entirely change outlooks, dump what all the relatives and friends call success, and move on.

By the way. We just bumped up from our Reinell 22'' to a Catalina 25'' modified fin keel. What a difference!

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 10-03-2002

mrfinny is on a distinguished road

Well, here''s my view on going "there".
We''ve had the boat for 2 years with moving on the plan, in 9 more months. We plan on selling the house, cars, and all and putting it in a conservative income producing fund.
We''ll use this to move back on land when the time comes, and if needed, supplement monthly expenses. We really don''t want to settle where we are now (orlando) so that''s part of why we''re selling. Also, posessions are a hodge podge of mine and my noew bride''s. This way, we get to build something together.

RIck
Old 10-03-2002

TCIRKA is on a distinguished road

Great to see that you''re prepared to "live the dream". As you already know there are many tough decisions you must make before moving aboard and shove off. One of the biggest problem for most cruisers is the ability to finance the lifestyle. It''s fine to sell off everything in order to cruise but what if you don''t like it or what happens when you come back? Will you have to go back to work to be able to afford to live ashore once again? The best way around this is to have some way to make an income while afloat. My wife and I have been looking for a way to return to the Bahama''s for quite a while and think we have finally discovered how to do it without having to give everything up at the same time. To find out more about this go to our Sailnet Personal Page or to www.unitoday.net/cirka . Hope this helps.
As Mark Twain wrote: Twenty years from now you will be more dissapointed in the things you didn''t do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Todd and Lisa Cirka
Live Your Dreams
Old 10-18-2002

Charbonneau is on a distinguished road

Brad,

Everyone approaches the barriers to cruising with different needs and different solutions. If you ask your neighbors or co-workers what they think of your plan, they are sure to tell you - in detail - just how crazy your dreams are. We used those people as fuel for our cruising dreams, determined to prove them wrong.

My wife and I, like you, spent almost three years downsizing our possessions before going cruising. We kept our large home until we sold it just before casting off, but held yearly yard sales to whittle down the things we owned. It seemed less painful to clear things out over time. After more than two years of cruising, we can''t think of anything we miss owning - the trade of ''stuff'' in favor of cruising has been a good one for us.

Keep those things that are sentimental to you and bring some with you. My wife refused to go ''camping'' on a boat. She brought our crystal decanters, four place settings of china and real glasses for wine, among other things. 12,000 offshore miles later and we haven''t broken a single item and they''ve made daily life aboard more special. The rest of our important items were left in storage with our families. We''ve began sorting through those items on a recent trip home and found that 50% of those items hold no value for us anymore. I guess our values have changed by virute of our cruising life.

Our experiences and personal needs might not mirror your own, but we''ve tried to capture and share our cruising decisions and adventures on our website at:

www.SailCharbonneau.com

Others have found the information useful. If it helps, great. If it stimulates more discussion or questions, just drop us an email. We''ll answer you from wherever we''re anchored that day.

We''ll hope to share an anchorage with you in the future. You won''t be the only people to escape Idaho for a life on the water. And no, you''re not crazy.

All our best,

Blaine, Janet, Max & Bailey Parks
http://www.SailCharbonneau.com