Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009

nuffoftexas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zers View Post
Not meaning to revive the dead, but is there an Amateur Radio that transmits on all bands and receives every frequency?
ALL bands? ALL Freqs? What does this mean? Unless you have equal space (and a few BILLION $$$) as underneath the NSA Ft Meade - I don't think so.

Amateur bands - yes. However usually only one received transmission at a time will come out the audio driver, and only one at a time (3 KHz wide with respect to others) can be transmitted legally with some significant tuning and adjustment required for each freq - whether receive or transmit. BTW - a frequency measurement is infintessimal. (sp?) Good question for most though. Sorry I don't have the time to explain thoroughly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2009

bigcj39 is on a distinguished road
I have a restricted operators license issued in 1962.anyone think this is still ok?
Old 09-10-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
cj, was it issued as a lifetime license or for a fixed period? If you still physically have the license, check the term on it. then if there's any question, call the FCC's licensing division in Gettysburg, they usually solve things on the toll-free phone right away and for sure.
Old 09-10-2009

bigcj39 is on a distinguished road
Thanks ill be calling them.
Old 07-15-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Basically whole thing is a minefield-whats legal in US can be illegal here in UK;in international waters theoretically you are bound by the regulations of the country you are registered in.In theUS you can buy a restricted marine HF operators licence-in the UK you have to sit an exam-total cost about $500.
Icom SSBs US legal $1200 upwards-here in UK to comply with European leglislation abot $1500 minimum.
So over here Ham licence is far more appealing and you can pick up a good Ham radio for about $500.
If you want to spend your time chatting to Oil Tanker captains then get a marine HF radio;if you want to talk to other small boat sailers get a Ham Radio modified so in an emergency quite legally all be it with an illegal modification you can get help.
Old 07-15-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I'd hardly call it a minefield. Most of us are citizens of just one country (although some can play the dual or triple nationality game) and that gives us only one legal avenue for radio licensing. Ditto for the title/flag on the boat.

And then you operate under that one set of restrictions, which INCLUDE reciprocity agreements with other nations. And you follow those terms when operating in another sovereign's waters. When there's no reciprocity, you still follow that other sovereign's laws. For radios, pollution, contraband, and everything else.

No big deal, you just need to do your homework ahead of time.
Old 07-28-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Well perhaps not a minefield BUT-
If you take the marine HF option here in the UK you licence the boat as a marine station-totally free and takes a few minutes online and open to any one from anywhere so long as you have a UK address-believe its the same in the US?-what you get is a call sign unique to your vessel.
To use the radio to transmit you then either need an internationally recognised long range operators certificate;or to be supervised by someone with one;or an internationally recognised full ham licence with permission of the vessels captain.
These regulations or any breach of them are applied by whichever country your vessels radio station is registered in.
As far as I am aware you can transmit on any internationally agreed channels so that includes marine and ham.
If you have a marine hf radio however new ones tend to be preprogrammed push button affairs set up for marine channels. You have to modify them to transmit on Ham channels-no problem other than if you happen to be a boat from Europe there are several Ham chanels popular with US sailors that are unlicenced over here so technically if you mod the radio to access these if heading across to the US /west Indies you are committing an offence under European leglislation.
Likewise several of the Marine Icoms popularly used in the US do not have DSC fitted-again illegal in Europe.BUT your radio details are not taken as part of licencing info.If you are a US boat operating in Europe no problem as leglislation only applies to European vessels.
Which nicely brings me to Ham radios.
It is illegal under international agreed and locally applied leglislation to modify a Ham radio to transmit on all chanels IF you are a land based Ham operator. However if you are operating from a Marine station-on your boat-as far as I can gather with a full Ham licence or Marine long range operators licence or under the supervision of long range operator you can transmit on marine chanels so the offence becomes somewhat vague in my opinion..
Last but not least in the event of a real emergency international agreement allows anyone by any means to summon help without threat of being prosecuted for an offence.
Confusing or what!
As for cost both here and in the US Ham training takes you through 3 stages to full licence and costs very little. Certainly in the UK and I would guess in the US Long Range marine operators certificates tend to be run by nautical colleges and are aimed at training comercial operators.As such over here they can cost around about £1000/$1500
Old 07-28-2010
Plausible Deniability

"It is illegal under international agreed and locally applied leglislation to modify a Ham radio to transmit on all chanels IF"
IN the US, under ITU and FCC regulation, no.
A ham radio may not be commercially sold unless it meet type acceptance, and does not transmit out of the ham bands, but that regulation applies to manufacturers and dealers, NOT HAM LICENSEES. A ham radio licensee in the US is personally and completely responsible for the legal operation of their radio(s) and allowed to make any and all modifcaitons that they please, including building equipment of ay type from scratch.
If you doubt that, contact our FCC, there's no debate.

As a ham radio operator you are also allowed broad liberty with "emergency operation". And for that reason I have legally modified my ham VHF radio so that it is capable of operating in the marine VHF bands and other frequencies, so that if I have to abandon ship and the normal marine VHF is lost or non-functional, I can legally use the ham radio, on marine band, to place a perfectly legal distress call.
Such operation is in fact encouraged by our regulations, the amateur radio service is allowed to occupy valuable airspace for several reasons and public service / emergency operations is probably at the top of the list these days.

Your rules in the UK probably will vary, but in the US this is legal and proper. By federal regulation, for emergency operation, pretty much anything goes if it will accomplish the goal of saving lives and property. WIthout causing excess mayhem, obviously.
Old 07-29-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
The Icom 802 originally came as a Marine SSB/MF/HF set only, and if you wanted the ham frequencies you had to send the set back to a tech to have the Easter egg removed (at a cost) on the production of your Ham licence. This has now changed and the Easter egg has been discontinued. I think mainly as the large number of units being sent back for the modification and the increased use of sailmail using a greater number of frequencies.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 07-29-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Some rigs are legal on both marine and ham bands (SGC comes to mind) so getting it modified for ham transmit freqs isn't a problem - legally or operationally.

Many ham rigs can be modified for marine use but you'll need to check to make sure. In some cases it's simply lifting a jumper wire, others require cutting a diode, and some require reprogramming. The important thing is to make sure that the radio your choice can transmit on ham frequencies. Most marine and ham radios are general coverage receivers.

I know of no one who's been visited by the FCC for the expressed purpose of verifying that the SSB is not modified. In most cases, the modified radio will sound the same as the type accepted. Manufacturers like ICOM, Yaesu, or Kenwood produce radios for most frequencies.

I carried a modifed ICOM 751A for a number of years and had no reported problems of audio quality, frequency stability, or other discernible features.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.