Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Oh, Lord, Stuck in Vero again

Was it CCR that sang "Stuck in Lodi again" ? Anyway I know how they feel. Stuck in Vero again but not for much longer, Doreen will be back in a week and off we go to warmer climes. Can you believe it was nearly freezing here last night? I know you guys up north say that's nothing and that it's 20 below and you've got 20 feet of snow but you have heat! You go from your warm house to your warm car to your warm office or the warm mall. There's no heat on this boat and it's sitting in cold water so even the floorboards are cold. Last night I had every blanket on the boat on me. I tell you this cruising life is tough. Funny thing though, we usually complain that the water coming out of the taps is warm not like at home but I can now say the water coming out of the tap is colder than at home. Didn't need ice in my drink last night. Just one more night of this and hopefully the cold front will be gone and we'll have 80 degrees again. I'll just have to suck it in and take another night of cold.

Just a short note so that you understand that this sort of life is not all peaches and cream. My next report will include pictures of white sandy beaches, beautiful, clear blue water, palm trees and a tall glass dripping with condensation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Poor boy...now hop on the free bus and go to Starbucks for a nice hot chocolate!
Old 01-21-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Do you have wool socks?
Long Johns? A sweater maybe?
yep, I'm with Cam, no sympathy here.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-21-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I think a BITE ME is in order here.

Nobody turned on the heater while I shovelled the driveway for 2 hours the other day. No heater while fueling the car, walking to the stores, going out to the car to warm it up...so bite me!!!
Old 01-21-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Vasco,

If it helps any we have heat in GCS's on the boat. I went to my berth last night wearing all of the above last night. I am hoping this is truly my last winter above 20 degrees N, and I can move onto 7N forever.....i2f
Old 01-21-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We'll see you on Saturday or Sunday. We're breaking out of Charleston and heading to Vero tomorrow. It's almost 10 degrees warmer there than here!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-22-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Do you have wool socks?
Long Johns? A sweater maybe?
yep, I'm with Cam, no sympathy here.
Got everything on including two pairs of Doreen's pantyhose.

Old 01-22-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
I can sympathize! I am just down the road in Stuart I came here from Minnesota with one long sleaved shirt and one pair of pants. All the rest was short sleaves and shorts. Its been 35 degrees the last couple of nights and the people I live with don't want to turn on the heat as it has not been used it years and they don't want the smell of the gunk buildup burning off the elements to deal with. tomorrow it is supposed to be back up the 70s but the last couple of days are NOT what I signed up for.
Old 01-22-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
I also would consider a heater off of the inboard engine, as most of the cruisers are motoring or motorsailing anyhow. It certainly would be an easy instalation. just like the heater in your car.
Yeah, a buddy of mine that makes the trip every year from Maine has a heat exchanger from the engine installed under his saloon settee. Last night I warmed up the cabin with four tea candles. Looked warm, anyway.

Old 01-22-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
If all you poor folks complaining about the cold temps are anchored out, you have my sympathy. I've had my share of cold nights up north, but, unlike Vasco, I never thought of putting on my wife's pantyhose.

For those of you tied up at the dock and complaining, hustle over to Walgreens, WalMart, etc. and pick up a $15 small quartz heater with a fan, plug it in, and feel your boat turn into a nice, cozy cocoon. Until then, quit ya bitchin'. LOL