Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2002

c172guy is on a distinguished road
hurricane

My wife and I plan to start cruising in 19 months. We were just down at Port St Joe Florida for a four day weekend. The heat was terrific as were the bugs. But it was all worth it as we had a great time with our sea kayaks. Now I''m back home in Birmingham and watching Isidore bare down on New Orleans. I have no idea what I''d do if we were at St Joe in a sailboat. What should we do??? Run up a river to an inland lake. Hunker down in a cove ( we didn''t notice any coves on the peninsula) . This isn''t a trivial question. I know that the Mobile river is subject to floods. Would we be in more danger up a flooding river. Also the current gets strong in the rivers. Could a sailboat even beat the current. Most of our sailing experience is in lakes. When a storm comes we usually head for the dock or go into a tight cove and tie to a tree with anchors off the stern.
In Andrews bay you can get out of the wind behind Shell Island. But it gives little shelter from the wind. If you are cruising would a marina welcome a stranger during a storm??
Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
hurricane

Tom:

You''re asking a valid and important question and there''s not a pat answer, just strategies & odds.

"If you are cruising would a marina welcome a stranger during a storm?"

Marinas have varying policies on accepting or keeping boats at their docks when under a Hurricane Warning. In Florida, I understand it''s now a state law that a marina can not turn out a boat owner; I know it is in St. Pete. But the other side of the question is whether you would want to be in a marina (concrete bulkheads? strong, deeply sunk pilings that can''t accommodate a storm surge tide? boats around you with absentee owners and tired dock lines?) - these are not usually ''storm-friendly'' places.

Other than being totally outside the cyclonic storm belt, there are no absolute solutions. Some Caribbean cruisers retreat to Trinidad or Grenada in the summer because they are viewed as hurricane free (which is not true; they just have better odds). Some pull their boat for the summer, even place the keel in a hole in the groud to prevent capsize on the stands, and then leave for home. Some believe in the value of a tidal estuary where they can tie off to mangroves (e.g. Bahia de Jobes in Puerto Rico, one of the few real Caribbean hurricane holes) altho'' they may not get there before the local fishing boats do...plus it must be a pretty terrible experience to ride out a storm in such a setting and, at that point, leaving the boat - if even possible - invites looting. Meanwhile, some folks in my area make private arrangements with property owners along residential canals for securing the boat to opposing bulkheads.

Of course, the reality is that most boats never see a storm and most of those that do, survive. When some do not, it''s usually with the foreknowledge that significant risk is being assumed (e.g. staying in the Virgins for charter business; planning on using Simpson Bay in St. Martin where the bottom is weak and there are 500 boats nearby) and the belief that the crew can adequately cope. You can get the odds very much in your favor and, in cruising as in life, that''s just about the best you can do. What''s left at that point is how well you can manage ambiguity, and whether the joys of cruising compensate you for it.

Jack
Old 09-25-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
hurricane

Jack:
If we get a hurricane that passes or hits near bye where we both live? What are your plans.
Gene
Old 09-26-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
hurricane

Gene, WHOOSH is in a totally enclosed, relatively small basin but at a dock with woefully short pilings. My current plan is to use breast and stern anchors to supplement securing the boat to the concrete bulkhead and to fixed points on the pilings, but I sure don''t think it''s a complete answer. I neglected to mention in the above post that this is exactly why some owners carry insurance, to cover that last few percent of the odds.

Jack
Old 09-26-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
hurricane

Jack: I hace a real hurricane hole here to put the boat in if need be. Carlonton Arms has a basin that is totally enclosed except for one small windo facing due east the basin is enclosed with 3 story brick condo''s.
the pilings are the tallest around. I feel it would be safer for me to anchor out there with my bow towards the Mangroves at the entrance and drop the stick which takes about 10 minutes. the lower the windage the
safer I''ll be.
Gene
Old 11-09-2002

wgfi is on a distinguished road
hurricane

I have lived on the Gulf coast for the past 30 years and have owned several different types of boats. We take our 32'' sailboat to a protected spot and leave it, as do most other people. Many marinas make you leave, you can go up river. I would say that more boats are damaged in marinas than out. I would not stay on a boat during a hurricane, no matter where it was located.
Old 11-11-2002

c172guy is on a distinguished road
hurricane

WGFI ;
You leave out a piece of information. You say you take your boat to a protected spot. Please define a "protected spot". Do you have a friend who lives on a canal or what?? Having sailed mostly on a mountain lake with many tight coves our definitions of protected are probably different. By tight I mean protected on at least three sides and sometimes four and maybe 150'' across. Often the water is still 40-50''. I don''t expect anywhere near that much protection on the coast.
I mostly get back into tight coves to avoid being ran down during the night by some drunk bass fisherman. Also this gets us away from rocking due to passing boats. We are afraid of lightening and figure the trees on the surrounding hills offer protection. High winds are rare but do happen. One night my brother and I were in a more open area when the wind came up over 50mph. It destroyed a nearby dock. We tried to leave the anchorage to go to a more protected spot. The 10hp outboard at full trottle wouldn''t push up into the wind to retrieve the anchor. With one anchor out the boat sailed back and forth for a couple hours until the wind died. Next morning there wasn''t a ripple on the lake. We were probably lucky that we couldn''t get off of the anchor. In retrospect I''m sure we''d ended up on the rocks about 50'' behind us.
Tom