Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009

Arkadi is on a distinguished road
Boat registration

Hello sailors!

Does anyone know about the necessity of being registered for off-shore cruising? I'm trying to find any international law that actually states that a pleasure sailboat must be registered and carry a flag. In Canada, for example, a sailboat without an engine does not even need to be licensed and registration is optional for any pleasure vessel.

What kind of trouble would I get into if I sail a boat without registration and a flag?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I would think you would need to follow the registration laws of the Country that issued your passport. It's makes coming home easier. Customs does check registrations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Arkadi: First an explanation of terminology so as not to confuse our US friends. What we call Registration our US friends call Documentation and what we call licensing, they call registration. While registration in the US is a state matter, both registration and licensing in Canada are federal matters.

There is no international requirement for Registration/Documentation and I know several licensed Canadian boats who have cruised the Caribbean, however, it does take longer and is problematic in clearing in as other countries expect to see registry/documentation papers and are confused by license/registry papers. I certainly would not try to enter a European port without registry/documentation as their bureauocracy (spelling?) would be incapable of dealing with it.

Last edited by boatpoker; 01-27-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 01-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I would think you would need to follow the registration laws of the Country that issued your passport. It's makes coming home easier. Customs does check registrations.
bubb2, thanks, the problem with your advice is that as I said before, Canada (my passport issuer) does not require licensing for a sailboat without an engine and the registration is optional for any pleasure craft. This means that according to the country law I do not need to do either.

Registration (Documentation in US) is a title but would other proof of ownership such as USCG bill of sale or notarized (even legalized) bill of sale be accepted as a proof of ownership in lieu of registration?

Does a pleasure craft have to fly a flag? Flying a Canadian flag does require registration. Which international law states that?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Flying a Canadian flag does not require registration. A pleasure craft is not required by law to fly a flag. But again if you are in foreign waters the bureaucrats may get testy if you do not follow ettiquette.
Old 01-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One other point that BoatPoker did not mention, in many countries, you will have to pay the entry/exit fees multiple times if the boat is not flagged (USCG documented or nationally registered in other countries).

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Arkady-
Don't confuse international law (i.e. the UN Law of the Sea treaty) with the laws of different nations. There is no "international law" that will require you or your vessel to have any license or registraiton or documentation or flagging. However, each nation that you try to visit will have their own rules for the identification and sometimes indemnification (insurance) that is required for visiting vessels. If you can't prove that the vessel is yours (title) and what country you and it belong to--to their satisfaction with documents they are familiar with--then they may either send you back to sea, or arrest/impound the vessel.

If you planning to go to the US and Mexico, you only need to satisfy their requirements. If you are going around the world, you may need to prepare more extensively. Then there are visa or entry requirements, which also differ for each nation.

I think the only "international law" that really affects you, would be the law allowing free passage, or entry for succour due to problems en route past the place.
Old 01-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Flying a Canadian flag does not require registration. A pleasure craft is not required by law to fly a flag. But again if you are in foreign waters the bureaucrats may get testy if you do not follow ettiquette.
thanks, boatpoker, I read on the transport Canada web site that flying a flag does require registration. If course, it doesn't say for what kinds of vessels. Can you provide some kind of reference that pleasure crafts are exempt from registration for flying a canadian flag?

As for bureaucrats, they must follow some kind of law, if there is no law that requires a pleasure sailboat to fly a flag, then it shouldn't be a problem, right?
Old 01-27-2009

hellosailor, thanks, I understand the difference between the local and international laws. Therefore, was my question for you people with off-shore cruising experience:

is national title the only proof of ownership or would bureaucrats consider other evidences such as legalized bill of sale, for example?
Old 01-27-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Individual nations have their own national paperwork requirements, they are not determine by international law. If you want to go cruising about, you should get your boat registered/licensed and you should then have the basics covered. You should still determine the exact entry requirements of any particular destination, but your basic requirements should be covered.