Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rockteró

While yours may not have a return line, what works on your engine obviously won't work on any that do, and the majority of small sailboat marine diesels that I've seen have fuel return lines. It isn't my fault that you're trying to apply your fairly unique situation to cases where your assumptions fail miserably.

BTW, I never stated that your engine had a fuel return line...you made that assumption, and we all know what that makes you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
My motor does not have a return line.

It has never had a return line.

Sailingdog, do you think that I spend my time making this stuff up? Does it ever occur to you that perhaps I have tried it and it works?

Does that ever enter your head?

Or do you just know that it doesn't work, from 3500 miles away? Did I make up the figures about the 5.5 and 6.6 kt too? Are they fiction also? Maybe Stonehaven is fiction too...?...

Stonehaven Harbour Webcam

If his motor has a return line... mine doesn't... then stick a wee rubber hose on the end of the return line and route it to the jug then (it does not even have to be the same jug, you can use another container, then pour it into the jug, or use two jugs and subtraction). Either way, with a tall jug, well calibrated, and a stopwatch it is very accurate indeed. A calculator helps, but it's not essential.

Oh, and warm the motor first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Whose thumb?

As a rule of thumb my 27hp Yanmar burns about .4 gallons per hour. I have an 18 gallon tank. And, if I pay careful attention and 'use the same thumb everytime' I won't run out of fuel....again

The boat is a 30' shoal keel, 9,500 lbs.
Old 01-31-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
So here's the summary of the above:

Some info is correct
Some info is partially correct
Some info is not correct but . . . .

Given that the OP asked about the range on his fuel tank and distilling all of the above info down, the range cannot be determined other than by experience and record keeping.

Because if you know you consumption at 73.663 % RPM because you think that's the optimum throttle setting and you've found a way to use a jug and a flow meter successfully, you still have wind, current, tide, chop, air temperature, all variable and all of them will affect your RANGE positively or negatively.

Range and fuel consumption are two different concepts.

So start recording your engine hours, trip distances (not from your paddle wheel log) and fuel used and build up your own record of what you range is likely to be under given conditions.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-31-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Hey Rockter, I checked out your stone haven lnk. I was raised just up the road from you in Fraserburgh. The name of the boat in my avatar is "Isle of Skye". Still like to know what kind of engine you have.
Old 01-31-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Here it is... the Volvo MD17C...

http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/Vo...1C_D_17C_D.pdf

...and it most definitely does not have a fuel return line.

In 1997 I had to tear the top off the fuel tank to fix a fuel tank leak. There are two lines feeding off the tank, one for the motor, and one for the heater.
There are no other lines in the tank as I had to cut the top off it, seal it, have someone weld the top back on, then I had to drill the top to allow the motor fuel take-off and the heater fuel take off. The repair took me weeks, so I would have seen a return line.

The fuel metering trick works with my olde motor.

For anyone that wants the volume conversions, or indeed how it's done, with or without a return line, I will help.

Rockter.

Last edited by Rockter; 01-31-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Rockter, thanks for the manual. Photos 2A and 2B on page 12 show a line connected to the bottom of the injectors and it is refered to as a "leak-off pipe'" What does this line do and where does it go ?
Old 01-31-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Our old boat had a 27hp Yanmar, 13000 disp. 34' and over 1000+ hrs we averaged .6gph. We ran the engine conservatively, 22-2600rpm. This produced a cruise speed of close to 6K, which is almost hull speed so there was no need to run the engine faster (autoprop). Your fuel consumption will vary tremendously depending on how hard you push the boat. You can burn almost twice as much fuel per hour by using horsepower to exceed hull speed, or in some cases just reaching it. You can find your most efficient speed with a little experimentation. On a calm day with no current start at a low rpm, about 25% of your rpm range, and note your speed on the gps. Increase rpm until your speed goes up 1/2 knot. Keep repeating this until it starts taking more rpm to increase by the 1/2 knot, your most efficient speed will be just before it starts requiring more rpm for the same gain in speed. I usually run at one notch above this so the engine is under a bit of load.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-31-2009

Rockter will become famous soon enough
boatpoker :

Probably back to the injection pump. I will look next time. I might manage a picture or two.

It does not return to the tank though, as there is no return line to the tank, of that I am sure.

Old 02-03-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
My volvo MD11C has no fuel return line!!!! I use 0.5 gallon/hr and 200 mile range for planning purposes only. There are too many varibles to make a precise estimate of fuel consumption during a given trip. I almost ran out of fuel motoring into a strong wind one day. I was burning at least twice the amount of fuel as usual. A dirty bottom or a barnacle on your prop changes everything.
Old 02-04-2009
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Most engine manufacturers list their fuel burn rate. On an older model it may take some digging. At least then you can have an idea of run time per tank. Don't forget to factor in run time just to recharge batteries, etc.