SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   NYC to Chesapeake Advice Sought (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/5105-nyc-chesapeake-advice-sought.html)

halyardz 09-29-2002 10:39 PM

NYC to Chesapeake Advice Sought

I''m thinking of an early spring 03 trip, of at least 14 days r/t, to the upper and middle Chesapeake Bay. The current plan would be leave NYC going outside to Delaware Bay then via canal/ICW. Any advice would be most welcome. Here a some specific questions.

Any problem getting a mooring for a week or so in late April-May? Costs? As may leave boat for a few days to check on business back home. I realize we can''t see everything and do want to do it at a slower pace...what would be "must see" areas/stops?

SailorMitch 09-30-2002 06:17 AM

Halyardz,

Slips predominate over moorings here in Chesapeake country, and price depends quite a bit on location. Baltimore Inner Harbor or Annapolis will be higher than elsewhere. Once you work up an itinerary and have an idea where you want to leave the boat, then someone on the list probably can come up with an estimated cost for leaving the boat for a week. (I''ll put in a plug for the marina where I keep my boat, White Rocks Marina. It''s on Rock Creek, south shore of the Patapsco below Baltimore. Plenty of transient slips, and relatively close to BWI airport. If you want more info about it, let me know.)

As for "must see" places -- how far south do you intend to go? Annapolis, Solomons Island, Deltaville? Working your way from north to south, some suggestions are the Sassafras River and Georgetown, Rock Hall, the Chester River (loads of creeks to explore),Baltimore''s Inner Harbor,Annapolis, St. Michaels, Oxford, Solomons Island, Crisfield -- and that''s just Maryland. It also depends on whether you prefer towns or scenic anchorages.

You really can hardly go wrong on a place to drop the anchor on the Chesapeake. We all have our favorite spots. Do some more thinking/planning and then run those ideas by the list. Good luck. I find the planning is almost as much fun as the cruise itself.

camaraderie 10-02-2002 12:56 PM

Hello...just completed the same trip. Don''t know what size boat/draft you have but from the sound of it you plan to sail "non-stop" down the coast and up the Delaware. Would suggest you put in waypoints for Manasquan Inlet, Atlantic City and Cape May...just in case the weather kicks up and try to time your turn up the Delaware to the tide as it can get nasty and long when wind and tide are opposed.
As to moorings...first, think about anchoring as there is great holding and many fine anchorages throughout the Bay. There are $20 per night moorings in Annapolis on Spa Creek on a first come first serve basis which should be open on weekdays at least at this time of year. Other than that...slips are prevalent in the bay with transient rates in upper bay running 1.50/ft on average except in annapolis...lower rates in lower bay. Hope this helps! //GB