Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Thanks Hud,

I'll try to take advantage of any good weather early in the trip to get as far down the bay as possible. I'm excited to check out my new cruising grounds and will try to visit the places you mention. It would be nice to get my bearings in the area before I have guests aboard this summer.

Wish I was further south with you!

Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2009

Bill,

We walked around Stingray, but no one was in the office the day we were there. I didn't see any slips that I thought my boat would fit in, and was surprised when another Gemini owner told me that he kept his boat there. But perhaps I didn't see the whole marina. At one of the other marinas I was told that the water at Stingray and further out the point was a little on the salty side, due to a cracked aquifer. Any opinion on that?

We visited all those marinas you mention, except for the yacht club. I agree about Dozier's. I don't see any reason to pay Annapolis prices in Deltaville. All the others are possibilities, as long as they still have something open when I get down there.

Scott
Old 02-10-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Where to go south of Solomons

If I had to make a leisurely trip south, after spending a day or 2 in Solomons I would head across the Bay to the Honga River. It is shallow but I am guessing the Gemini can handle thin water. From there I would go to Deal Island. This is a winter home of a fleet of Skipjacks and you might be able to wrangle a day's ride on one. It is a wonderful experience that you will never forget (you will have to get up early). From there head to the back side of Tangier and enjoy a step back in time. From there Deltaville is a short hop down the Bay. This sounds like a fun trip and you should enjoy it. I would take some warm blankets and maybe a heater as march can be nasty cold.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2009

Joe,

I'm trying to avoid Solomons, only because I've already been there twice by boat, and numerous times by land. I'd like to see some new stuff on this trip. Although I do have a free pier I can tie up to just past the bridge over the Patuxent.

If I come through the Honga river, do you have any info on anchoring in Deale Island? I would like to check out the Skipjacks.

No worries about the cold. I spent a week aboard the boat during the recent cold snap. The water froze at the marina and so did I. Pic of me on the boat then.
Old 02-10-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Deltaville water supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Bill,
At one of the other marinas I was told that the water at Stingray and further out the point was a little on the salty side, due to a cracked aquifer. Any opinion on that?
Scott
A buddy of mine owned a house near Stingray Point in Deltaville for a few years. The tap water (from a well I assume) was pretty bad, barely drinkable. Soap would not make suds with it. Bathroom fixtures stained badly so it seemed like it had a lot of iron in it or maybe it is salts.
I am not sure what is in the water but the rumor seems to be that an asteroid hit the area quite a while ago (>50,000 years) which changed the ground water situation. I have no idea what the water is like at the marinas.
Great place to sail from though. The Rappahonack is one of the cleanest rivers in the estuary.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I just bought a 16' beam boat from Gratitude after Christmas - the slip may still be open. The travel lift did manage the boat... just.
Old 02-10-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
A buddy of mine owned a house near Stingray Point in Deltaville for a few years. The tap water (from a well I assume) was pretty bad, barely drinkable. Soap would not make suds with it. Bathroom fixtures stained badly so it seemed like it had a lot of iron in it or maybe it is salts.
I am not sure what is in the water but the rumor seems to be that an asteroid hit the area quite a while ago (>50,000 years) which changed the ground water situation. I have no idea what the water is like at the marinas.
Great place to sail from though. The Rappahonack is one of the cleanest rivers in the estuary.
From what I've been told the water at most(all?) of the marinas (at least on Broad creek) have high sulphur and tannin contents. The tannins cause the staining and the sulphur stinks like a$$.

I can't say for sure why, but the water at Stingray, doesn't stink like it used to a couple of years ago. I'm told they installed a reverse osmosis filtration system, but whatever the change, it was most defintely welcome. I'd suggest running the shower as a check at the marinas you consider to see if the water smells like a$$. Its slightly unpleasant but we tolerated it, and the good news is it doesn't make you stink -- once you get out of the shower its fine. That said, my wife is something of a Trooper. A higher maintenance model might put their foot down. The water in the town doesn't have the problem.

People have different ways of dealing with the issue. I've seen at least one that have gone to the length of rigging massive tank/pump systems, so they don't put marina water in their tanks at all. Some fill their tanks from 5 gallon containers filled up for free at the Fire department. (There is a hose bibb behind the sign in front) Personally, I use marina water in my tanks for washing bodies and dishes, but don't really drink it. I keep milk jugs of water from home or the fire department in the fridge for consumption. Also, any time I'm visiting someplace that has good water I'll pump out the D'ville water and get a fresh fill.

Its just one of those things you get used to that makes Deltaville, Deltaville. We intended to move our boat closer to home, but are having a hard time thinking of leaving the friends we've made and it really is such a great sailing area with less traffic than further up the bay.
Old 02-10-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
If I come through the Honga river, do you have any info on anchoring in Deale Island? I would like to check out the Skipjacks.
It has been a few years since I made this trip (I did it in reverse, south to north) but the Honga river was a pleasant stopover, but very thin water. The Deal Island harbor at Chance was beautiful for a working harbor. Not the picturesque marina type but work boats and 4 or 5 Skip jacks. I stopped there over the summer and later spent 2 days there on a cold December morning hitching a ride on a Skip jack to watch "drudging" in Tangier Sound. I am betting the boats will still be there in March and while the harbor is small, there is ample place to tie up even for your cat. Anchoring might be possible although the place is small. When I was there I enjoyed a special breakfast of scrambled eggs and corned beef in the small cuddy cabin at a table with all the boats crew. A special time for sure.
Old 02-10-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Scott, i might be able to crew the whole trip if you would want someone, the whole way. i would get my self home but normal meals would be on you, and i dont mean fancy meals just stuff on board.

scott
Old 02-10-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Hi:

A couple of places to stop along the way, especially if you have a little time and want to avoid Solomons is St Mary's. Very picturesque and historic (founded in the 1600's)...have been there a couple of times doing the Governor's Cup race (took 2nd place two years ago). The St Mary's River is beautiful.

Another stop that is great is Oxford which is also a little out of the rum line, but not too bad. The park on the river is very nice.

Have a good trip.

Moe