Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Baltimore to Deltaville

I'm bringing my boat down to Deltaville in March. I have about two weeks for the trip, so there is no great rush to get down the bay. I've gone down the bay and back once before, sticking to the Western Shore. I'm familiar with the destinations/anchorages on that side: Magothy, Annapolis, West River, Solomons, etc. I'd like to expand my cruising experience on the eastern side of the bay.

I'll be mostly single handing, but I may have some crew for a few days out of Baltimore, if I leave on a weekend. I'd like to do most of the trip sailing, not motoring. I will be sailing during the day and anchoring at night. I realize that it will be early in the season, and there could be some snotty weather. I've got no problem sitting in an anchorage a few days waiting out the bad weather. If the weather is marginal, I'll likely motor sail to the next anchorage down the bay. If the weather is perfect and I can sail on a broad reach in 10-15 knots and a light chop while wearing a t-shirt and shorts and working on my tan, I'll sail all day.

So anyway, I've never sailed further down the bay on the Eastern Shore than St. Michaels. I did visit Tangier Island years ago by ferry. I have the Dozier waterway guide for the Mid-Atlantic and will consult it for anchorages. I have a few other Chesapeake cruising guides too, but they're stuck on the boat. I wondered if you guys had any specific recommendations for favorite routes, destinations and anchorages on the lower Eastern Shore.

Thanks, Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I went into Cambridge year before last. There are also other areas where you can go along the Choptank. It's also the setting for James Michner's Chesapeake. Other than that though, I"ve stayed on the Western side.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2009
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
Are you looking for populated areas or quiet anchorages? Actually most eastern shore places will be remote and quite specially that time of the year. I like Dunns Cove going through Knapp’s Narrows, Oxford, Cambridge, Little Choptank River, over to Solomons Island, Christfield, either Smith or Tangier Island or both and then to Deltaville. Have fun.......
Old 02-10-2009

Hey John,

Hope winter is treating well down in NC. I don't think I'll be able to make it to FL next winter, but I do have fantasies about bring the boat down to NC and maybe as far south as Charleston, SC.

I don't really want to go as far out of the way as Cambridge. Looking at the charts, I was thinking about going through Knapps Narrows, and looking at somewhere along Tilghman Island as a possible anchorage, and continuing down to the Little Choptank as another possible stop.

Scott
Old 02-10-2009

Velero,

Those all look like possibilities. I think you're right that regardless of where I go, I'll likely have a quiet anchorage in March. My main concerns would be finding an anchorage where I could get a good night's sleep, and also not getting too far off the Chesapeake, so that I'm not spending too much time getting into and out of the bay.

I'll put a big X on my chart for Dunn's Cove. Thanks.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decsion
Old 02-10-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you haven't been there before...you might enjoy stopping in at Crisfield MD just dead east of Smith Island. Nice little town and good muni marina there. You could then hop over to Tangier if you have guests that would like to experience it and then it is about 25 miles to deltaville.
Have fun...hard to go too far wrong!
Old 02-10-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Where are you going to be in Deltaville?

We're at Stingray Point Marina, A-dock near the pool. Stop in and say hi, if you're ever around. The boat is currently on the hard over at Deltaville boatyard, but we'll splash around the end of March or first week of April.

Bill
s/v Palmetto Moon
Old 02-10-2009

Bill, we did a road trip to Deltaville in the fall and checked out a bunch of marinas. The boat has a 14 foot beam, so it's a bit limiting. There were a few marinas that looked good and had space for us at the time. But I haven't committed to a specific marina yet. I think there is another Gemini at Stingray point, but he's on the hard right now. I'll be sure to stop by and say hi when I come by to visit the other Gemini.

Cam, looks like Crisfield will be part of the itinerary. The only time I've been there was when I took the ferry to Tangiers. If I try to stay strictly on the Eastern Shore, the next opportunity for an anchorage south of the Little Choptank looks to be coming in between Hooper's and Bloodsworth islands. Dozier's doesn't have much to say about the area. Any recommendations for anchorages? Keep in mind that I draw only two feet with the boards up.

Thanks, Scott
Old 02-10-2009
"Nevis Nice"

hphoen is on a distinguished road
Scott,

Hudson Creek in the Little Choptank would be a well-protected anchorage that time of year. It's a nice little anchorage, quiet and isolated. I second the other suggestions about stopping in Crisfield. We always ate dinner at Fisherman's Inn there. You can anchor in the Somers Cove Marina basin, off the Coast Guard Station, but the bottom is soupy mud. You might drag if the wind kicks up to 30 kts or more.

From Crisfield, I'd suggest heading south to Onancock, at the head of Onancock Creek, about five miles off the Bay on the eastern shore of Virginia. Some good restaurants there, too. There's room to anchor, or you can tie up to the bulkhead at the little Onancock Wharf marina. It's less than 30 nm from Onancock to Deltaville. If you're not ready to end your trip, try Mill Creek, off the Great Wicomico River, south of Smith Point on the western shore in Virginia. It's very well protected from all wind directions, and fairly unpopulated by houses on the shoreline.
Old 02-10-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Bill, we did a road trip to Deltaville in the fall and checked out a bunch of marinas. The boat has a 14 foot beam, so it's a bit limiting. There were a few marinas that looked good and had space for us at the time. But I haven't committed to a specific marina yet. I think there is another Gemini at Stingray point, but he's on the hard right now. I'll be sure to stop by and say hi when I come by to visit the other Gemini.

Cam, looks like Crisfield will be part of the itinerary. The only time I've been there was when I took the ferry to Tangiers. If I try to stay strictly on the Eastern Shore, the next opportunity for an anchorage south of the Little Choptank looks to be coming in between Hooper's and Bloodsworth islands. Dozier's doesn't have much to say about the area. Any recommendations for anchorages? Keep in mind that I draw only two feet with the boards up.

Thanks, Scott
I was thinking that Gemini might have been yours. I don't see them around much, but they are kinda' around the corner from me, so they could come and go without me seeing them. I checked the open slips at Stingray and can't say for sure that you'd fit any of them, but a 14' beam isn't all that wide these days, so it wouldn't hurt to call Brent to see.

As you say there are a bunch of Marinas to choose from down there, but I'm a little biased toward Stingray as the nicest, because the boat yard is completely separate. There are others that are nice, but more integral with a boat yard.

If nothing fits you at Stingray, I think Deltaville Boat Yard on Jackson creek would be my next choice with Fishing Bay Marina just right on its heels. Doziers is nice with the floating docks and all, but it is Deltaville, so I can't see paying Annapolis prices. Deltaville Yachting Center on Broad Creek is also ok, and I don't know much about the rest of the marina's on Broad Creek. Actually, FBYC would be my first choice, but I'm too cheap to join and would question the moral fiber of any club that would have me. lol

Look forward to seeing you on the water.