Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Mark and David's Winter Adventure

OK... This isn't going to be the best trip report, because we don't have a camera with us, but after all, it's the middle of winter, so we figure the bar is set pretty low right now...

It's Winter Break and The Admiral

and Hope ( in pigtails, proudly wearing her Foulweather Bluff Race T-Shirt )

Are presently in Honduras working at an orphanage. So, Mark and I decided to take a local cruise this week. It's not supposed to rain all week, and mid-day temps are going up to the lower 50s, which is pretty good weather for Seattle this time of year.

So we loaded up the boat Monday night and slept aboard. It was in the 30s, but the space heater kept the boat reasonably comfortable.

We left at 9 in the morning, passing blt2ski's Amoretto. We expected to get the remains of a strong northerly, but would up with 5 knots on the nose, so we motored. We had hoped to stop by and see ArtByJody's boat Hello Georgeous, but she's at the yard getting new rigging.

We arrived at Bell Harbor marina Port of Seattle: Bell Harbor Marina around noon. The marina is right at the foot of downtown Seattle and is quite modern and nice. We're the only boat on the dock.

Bell Harbor is a great place to stay, since everything is so close. I'm looking out the windows of the boat right now at the beautiful nighttime Seattle skyline... Amazing!

We took a walk down the waterfront to a famous Seattle restaurant, Ivar's

I was a good skipper and let Mark order extra fries to throw at the seagulls.

YouTube - Seattle seagull french fry party (Not my video)

After that, we headed up to the famous Seattle Public Library, where we wandered about and spent some time with friendly librarians who showed Mark what microfilm was, and let him look at and touch a 400 year old book.

The downtown Seattle Library is an amazing piece of architecture and community resource.

After the library, we walked to a video arcade and wore ourselves out. After another short walk, we fired up the famous Catalina BBQ and cooked hotdogs

Mark brought his trombone along and is serenading the marina.

A great first day!

Tomorrow, more Seattle.. Later, the circumnavigation of Bainbridge Island

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009

southernwind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to southernwind
I have sailed the Puget sound and am in love with Friday Harbor, lived in Anacortes when I was young and learned to sail there, have fun and toast the mountain for me.....

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-18-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
We had a brief but impressive view of Seattle on our shakedown cruise out of Port Orchard -- a marina I highly recommend if you're willing to go slightly out of your way on the Bainbridge Island trip.

Curious about a couple of things: one, what's Agate Pass like? I was thinking of taking that route but opted for the slightly longer but much wider direct route to the Sound. Two, what sort of space heater have you got? Not complaining about the little forced air heater we use, but our guests often get cold overnight and I'm not comfortable leaving the thing going full blast unattended.
Old 02-18-2009

Adam:

We just have a regular household space heater. It's one of the better ones, but I generally won't run it unattended. I leave it on low at night, otherwise it gets too dry in the boat..

Agate pass is short and easy. Maybe 1/4 mile. No real turbulence to speak of.. So, I don't pay much attention to it, and will just push through it during an adverse tide. I've never seen more than 3-1/2 knots there.

Rich Passage, as you know, is much longer and there are ferries to dodge.... I've been pretty successful finding back-eddies if opposing the current there.

I expect that we'll have an ebb tide when we head to Poulsbo, so, if I'm lazy, we'll skip the circumnavigation and ride the ebb to Agate Pass.

David

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-18-2009

FavoriteUncleRich is on a distinguished road
Worried about the Admiral

Lori is looking rather attached to the orphans. Are you worried that she'll bring one home?
Old 02-18-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Wow, great report. Nice to see what everyone is up to.

Your wife looks like she's having a great time in Honduras; and doing good work too, I expect.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjariBonten View Post

Your wife looks like she's having a great time in Honduras; and doing good work too, I expect.
I think so, too.. You can follow the trip here:
Hogar de Ninos Tierra Santa - Honduras

They are posting and blogging daily.

David

Old 02-18-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Are you going to be home intime to race sunday? Looks like Sheryl will have the tiller on sunday, looks like I am working, if teaching ski lessons is working sat and sun?!?!?!

Off to Amoretto and see if the mast is straingt, not quite, off about 1/4-3/8" or there abouts at the top, ok in the middle.......mark some other stuff........
Old 02-18-2009

Yep.. we plan to race... Hope will still be gone so I may be driving.. Look out!

David

Old 02-18-2009

A bit overcast/foggy this morning and cold... Showers at Bell Harbor are free, which is nice. We're still the only visiting boat on the dock.

Took the monorail
to the Seattle Center
and visited the Experience Music Project and the Science Fiction Museum. The have some amazing real/simulated musical instruments there. I particularly enjoyed sitting on a 1960's era sofa and watching Hendrix perform "Red House"
YouTube - Jimi Hendrix- Red House
Mark played along to Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit" on his electric guitar debut.

As a geek, I liked the SciFi museum. Liked the Lost In Space robot there (an original)

We had lunch at the Center House, I lost a game of giant checkers to Mark, and we saw a 3D movie at the Imax.

We're back on the boat settling down and planning the trip for tomorrow. A friend of Mark's will be joining us. The forecast calls for 10 knots out of the north and a weak ebb tide. If the boys are game, we should have a nice sail upwind through Agate Pass

to Liberty Bay
, and the town of Poulsbo,
our next destination.

Last edited by djodenda; 02-19-2009 at 12:04 AM.