Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009

SeaWolf is on a distinguished road
That's one of the beautiful parts of living on a boat. Generally speaking, the marinas we've been in don't put up with that nonsense. However, unlike living in a house, if you neighbors are not what you'd like... or your kids are hanging around with other kids you don't approve of... you get to pick up the anchor and leave it all behind.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
Interests, I noticed that SCUBA diving was becoming boring. You can only look at so many reefs and so many fish etc. You have to have an interest other than swiming around underwater to make it worth the effort. My wife likes history. So reading a lot about places to visit is part of her interest in cruising. But I would venture that a person who is bored ashore will be bored on a boat. You have to pay attention to whatever you are doing.
Old 02-21-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
So, I'm a bit confused about this. Perhaps you can help me out...

When you say "bored" do you really mean "tired" as in

Tired of pumping the head, hand-washing dishes, worrying about the weather, hauling water, charging batteries, dragging anchor, fixing broken things.. etc

or do mean "bored" as in: no job, nothing to do, nothing interesting?

I can understand "tired", but not "bored"....

Now I have never cruised for longer than 2 weeks, so I wouldn't really know.. But my father and stepmother after their 12+ year circumnavigation were tired, but not bored.

So, really... it gets boring? or am I just misunderstanding?

Thanks,

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-21-2009

Undine is on a distinguished road
Anything can be boring if it no longer challenges you in some way. Or if it becomes repetitive. I hope that cruising is everything my hubby and I wish it to be. But I know we will have to put forth an effort to keep it fun and to keep the "challenges" in perspective. And if it becomes boring we'll do something else or make changes to our cruising style.
Old 02-21-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure I can fully understand the question. Living aboard a boat and cruising is not so much what you do, but a background matrix or setting for your life's happenings. People that live in houses and transport themselves in cars would not say that living in a house and driving defines their lives. My wife and I have been living aboard a boat and cruising since 1972, but that's not what we "do"! We work, read, watch TV, shop, attend concerts and sporting events, visit friends and family, take vacations inland....I think what we do is just about all the same exciting and mudane things that everyone else does. We also do this while living in 27 different communities on the East Coast of the US and the Bahamas. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 02-21-2009

gonesailin40 is on a distinguished road
I plan to using cruising as a mode of transportation and as a floating motel room when I retire. I will travel to the places I have read about all of my life. Not sure how boredom could come into play but if it does I will just be bored cruising around the globe instead being bored sitting on a porch.
Old 02-21-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
If you're looking towards cruising as just an extended vacation you're probably going to get bored as well as find out that extended vacations, by definition, are boring.

Certainly time at sea can become boring with one stretch of water looking much like another. But that's only if you spend your time there just staring at the water. There's usually "work" to be done, on any vessel. Generally speaking, most seamen are readers. There's nothing so abundant or so diverse as reading material.

Planning and destinations have a great deal to do with it as well. In twenty years at sea I'd have to guess that the Caribbean was one of the most boring places I ever visited. There's just not a lot to see after awhile. Another sandy beach, another beautiful scuba dive, another glorious sunset...even those get old. I always enjoyed going places where there was some historical sight-seeing to be done. Were I cruising in my retirement I'd wager that a week or two in Southhampton, England would be far less boring than two weeks in St. Croix. I could reliably fill up more than a few days just at the British Museum I'd expect.

I'd expect that many long term cruisers are restless and eager to be on to the next thing over the horizon. I doubt that many who envision just anchoring in the beautiful lagoon and swimming stick with it for long.
Old 02-22-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
Right now we are looking at cruising for a few months at a time and then returning to a land based home tospend time with family etc. So after a month or two in the gulf then a month or so on some land we own in East tennessee. Then move the boat to Florida of Bahamas or Texas and again after a month or two going back to ET. Right now all of this is open ended. If we find that living on the boat is what we prefer then sell the house or visa versa. I want to hike the entire appalachian trail!!!! So maybe a month or so on the trail and then a month or so on the sea. I also love kayaking so interspersing a month kayaking with a month sailing would work too. The thing that is most appealing is "freedom" knowing that I don't have to be in the lab every Monday morning. In a "perfect world" I would love to go do whatever for a few months then go back to work. Unfortunately most employers will not allow such behavior. I really love my work but not all of the time. After 25 years I need a break!!!!
Old 02-23-2009

SeaWolf is on a distinguished road
I think CaptainForce is really on target. Seems like all of the cruisers, whether full time or part time, have the same view... if you get board as a 'dirt dweller' you're likely to get bored while cruising.

I think very few peoplewould like doing the same thing over and over again. Every reef is different, so diving on one is always a unique experience for us, although I imagine that if I dove reefs every day 24/7, it would get very old. But that's not cruising... it's only part of it. We always found that there weren't enough hours in the day to do everything we wanted to do!

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruiserLife.com
Old 02-25-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
I NEED to work ... I find being productive an essential part of my life as does my wife. We NEED to cruise we love the challenges and new places. We NEED to spend time (a lot) with the kids and grandkids ...the compromise - We work for two years then cruise for a year then do it over again. By the end of our year cruising we start to get bored and look forward to getting back to work. I can only sit on the beach drinking rum for so long before it gets tedious.