Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
C&D canal, Have you Anchored

in the anchorage just south of the delware bay breakwater? Last trip, Over a yr ago now (big sigh) I noticed a boat sitting there when we came out the Canal to head home up the river. This anchorage interests me although it sure seems to rather exposed to the weather.
thanks all!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I've anchored quite a few times in the anchorage just north of the Delaware bay side breakwater. Just go in towards the reeds until you hit about 7 feet at low water and drop the hook in good mud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2009
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
really rick? I didn't know the north side was safe. I did see a boat on the south side though. I must explore this better if and when I get down that way again. thanks!

my current "project"!
Old 02-20-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
looking at the chart there is a marked anchorage N of the entrance. But its' not real well protected
Old 02-20-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Might be interested in reading this: You May Be Right, Dead Right The end of the article discusses anchoring in the south anchorage.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable anchoring in either anchorages for the traffic as well as neither are protected at all.

There is a cove with a marina on the on the canal half way between Chesapeake City and the Delaware that looks like you could anchor in.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 02-21-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Denise we have made the trip down the delaware from the canal many times. The best anchorage close is 1/2 hour south of the canal behiond Reedy Island. You are not exposed to tanker or other boat traffic near the canal. The marina 1/2 the way down the canal on the north side does not have anchoring room. Chesapeake City is not my favorite place to anchor either as you can set out a short scope only with lots of small power boats in the anchorage and a 3 knott current.

We preferr anchoring either at Reedy on one end or the Bohemia river at the other end.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-21-2009

amarinesurveyor is on a distinguished road
What about the cove on the south side of the canal across from Chesapeake City? I anchored there once with 5' draft back in the eighties. Can you you anchor in there these days? There was no current in there as I recall.
Brian
Old 02-21-2009
Lies about her age

thanks everyone! I love Chesapeak city actually. Tied at the city dock is always the best option there. Anchoring in engineers cove is tough with it being so shallow and with so many boats. But I like to arrive before the evening rush, lesson learned from river camping via canoe on the upper delaware.

my current "project"!
Old 02-21-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
As I said earlier I've anchored on the north side quite a few times. Duck in just around the breakwater. There's usually a few crab pots there but you're well out of the tug and big boat traffic. It's not too well sheltered but the holding's good. I used to anchor there after a long slog up the Delaware before going into the C&D the next morning or coming out of the C&D on the way home. Just an overnight stop.

Old 02-21-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
What's the story on Reedy Island Dike? Looks like there is a gap near the Q R "2" to let you behind the island from the channel side. Is that the "doorway" to the anchorage?