C&D canal, Have you Anchored - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-20-2009 Thread Starter
Oday30!

C&D canal, Have you Anchored

in the anchorage just south of the delware bay breakwater? Last trip, Over a yr ago now (big sigh) I noticed a boat sitting there when we came out the Canal to head home up the river. This anchorage interests me although it sure seems to rather exposed to the weather.
thanks all!

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-20-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

I've anchored quite a few times in the anchorage just north of the Delaware bay side breakwater. Just go in towards the reeds until you hit about 7 feet at low water and drop the hook in good mud.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

post #3 of 27 Old 02-20-2009 Thread Starter
Oday30!

really rick? I didn't know the north side was safe. I did see a boat on the south side though. I must explore this better if and when I get down that way again. thanks!

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #4 of 27 Old 02-20-2009

looking at the chart there is a marked anchorage N of the entrance. But its' not real well protected
post #5 of 27 Old 02-20-2009
Tartan 37C

Might be interested in reading this: You May Be Right, Dead Right The end of the article discusses anchoring in the south anchorage.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable anchoring in either anchorages for the traffic as well as neither are protected at all.

There is a cove with a marina on the on the canal half way between Chesapeake City and the Delaware that looks like you could anchor in.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
post #6 of 27 Old 02-21-2009

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Denise we have made the trip down the delaware from the canal many times. The best anchorage close is 1/2 hour south of the canal behiond Reedy Island. You are not exposed to tanker or other boat traffic near the canal. The marina 1/2 the way down the canal on the north side does not have anchoring room. Chesapeake City is not my favorite place to anchor either as you can set out a short scope only with lots of small power boats in the anchorage and a 3 knott current.

We preferr anchoring either at Reedy on one end or the Bohemia river at the other end.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 27 Old 02-21-2009

What about the cove on the south side of the canal across from Chesapeake City? I anchored there once with 5' draft back in the eighties. Can you you anchor in there these days? There was no current in there as I recall.
Brian
post #8 of 27 Old 02-21-2009 Thread Starter
Oday30!

thanks everyone! I love Chesapeak city actually. Tied at the city dock is always the best option there. Anchoring in engineers cove is tough with it being so shallow and with so many boats. But I like to arrive before the evening rush, lesson learned from river camping via canoe on the upper delaware.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #9 of 27 Old 02-21-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

As I said earlier I've anchored on the north side quite a few times. Duck in just around the breakwater. There's usually a few crab pots there but you're well out of the tug and big boat traffic. It's not too well sheltered but the holding's good. I used to anchor there after a long slog up the Delaware before going into the C&D the next morning or coming out of the C&D on the way home. Just an overnight stop.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

post #10 of 27 Old 02-21-2009

What's the story on Reedy Island Dike? Looks like there is a gap near the Q R "2" to let you behind the island from the channel side. Is that the "doorway" to the anchorage?

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.