Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009
"OLD SALT"

easygoing is on a distinguished road
Question Honduras Roatan Island

Has anyone cruised the Bay Islands of Honduras? I need as much info about the Island of Roatan in regards to sailing. Helpful info would be,best marina,cost for slip fees,hazards,entertainment,so forth. I was planing on cruising Guaremla,Rio Dulce but I was told it might be a bad ideal in reference to safty. Hondurans Roatan is not that far from Guatemla but I think coast more. Please help with as much info I can get. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bill"
S/V "Silly Bette"
1968 38' Hughes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
I can't talk about sailing around Roatan, but I just got back from a diving trip there.

I've posted a couple of video clips of the island on YouTube.

They may stimulate your interest in going there...

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 03-03-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Bay Islands and Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoing View Post
Has anyone cruised the Bay Islands of Honduras?
Yes, and it was great. Cruised there for 3 months, 3 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoing View Post
I was planing on cruising Guaremla,Rio Dulce but I was told it might be a bad ideal in reference to safty. Hondurans Roatan is not that far from Guatemla but I think coast more. Please help with as much info I can get. Thanks
Re-check your sources, there have been a few incidents in the Rio but if these put you off cruising you will never leave home. All the incidents in the Rio occurred outside the many excellent marinas there.

Check this website and forum;
riodulcechisme.com - Home

Pick up a copy of;

A Cruising Guide to The Northwest Caribbean, by Stephen Pavlidis.

and/or

Cruising Guide to Belize and Mexico's Caribbean Coast, Including Guatemala's Rio Dulce (Paperback)
by Capt. Freya Rauscher

Fair Winds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-03-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
Parrot Tree Marina

No first hand experience but friends of mine spent some time at Parrot Tree Marina in Roatan recently and loved it. Sounds like beautiful cruising grounds down there.
Old 03-03-2009
"OLD SALT"

gtod; Thanks for your advice. I cruised the East Crib for 18 month about 4years ago w/no problems. I got all info I could get about the Rio but just need first hand info aout it. As far as being dangers I was refering to that attact that happened last year about August. I plan on retairing on the Rio Dulce or Bay Roatan Honduras. I think Rio would be more inline with my budget. Anyway thanks alll for your input.

"Bill"
S/V "Silly Bette"
1968 38' Hughes
Old 03-03-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Bill,

I hope to follow in your wake in 2-3 years. We were in Roatan (and on the mainland) on vacation this past summer and really loved it.

I see you're in Clearlake. We're looking to keep our next boat in Rockport and sail out of there.

Fair winds, dude! I'll see you in Roatan!
Old 03-03-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Rio

Bill

I think the Rio is the place for you. Marinas and groups to suit all budgets, political views and happy hour start times. Just remember to venture out to the Bay Islands and Belize every years or so to make sure that your boat still moves. The murder you refer to was tragic but I still believe that cruising is safer than driving in Miami.

Regards

Gerry

Old 03-04-2009
"OLD SALT"

smackdaddy, I am glad to here you are going to call Rock Port your home port. I've been there many times. Most in an Supply Boat (work boat). When do you plan on moving there? I want be bact to Clear Lake until December this year. My contract will be over then for I work over seas. My boat is in FL.
at present being outfitted for my trip. I plan on sailing it back to TX December or January depends on the weather if I take the ditch or go stright across. I think you want be disappointed in Rock Port very nice place. I plan on staying in Clear Lake for 9 or 10 month then after hurricane season making my move south. You said you are planing on the same thing but going to Roatan. What I understand is that Guatemla Rio Dulce offers the same but much cheeper. Who caress as long as the beer is cheep and cold. Anyway thats my plan but it could change. Hope to see you down there, I will buy you a drink and tell you all about the big fish I cought.

"Bill"
S/V "Silly Bette"
1968 38' Hughes
Old 03-04-2009
Banned

SailorGregS is on a distinguished road
That would be a great place to visit.
Old 03-04-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Easy,

Dude, I've heard some big freakin' fish stories in my time so it'd better be good! I won't move down there. I'll just keep our boat there. Some good friends of ours have a summer house in Rockport - so it'll make a nice getaway combo for everyone.

Now about that beer....

Keep us updated!