Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
It really boils down to enforcing existing laws , not making new ones. You would not get away with parking an unregistered vehicle on a public street. It would be towed, fined , and put in a lot. Most of our derelics here go from a marina to anchored out when an owner no longer uses the boat and is trying keep costs down. They think the boat is worth what they have invested,so it sits while the lowball offers come in for it's sale. By the time they come to grips with the true value , the boat is worth nothing. The boat gets passed from one owner to another[read homeless] until ther is no paper trail of ownership.The powers that be will not go after the owner of record because they have record showing it sold. Controlling the problem starts with existing laws but should include a law requiring registration to be part of a sale. If you can't put it on the water legally , it shouldn't be there. The issue should not be where you can have your boat or how long but WHAT you can put on OUR water. The homeless don't inhabit old aircraft fuselages at the airport,aviators don't leave their discards where there is access. The powers that be need to not make it so impossible for us to discard old hulls properly so they don't fall into the hands of those who are giving us such a bad reputation and cause such restriction to our freedom on the water.

Last edited by xsboats; 03-09-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: not finished
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, a lot of the trash is due to terrestrial garbage dumpers, and has nothing to do with boaters...Car bumpers, cars, car tires are all likely from terrestrial sources, not sailors. However, the idea of cleaning up our coast lines and water ways is an excellent one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2009
Author in Hawaii

OrioninHawaii is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to OrioninHawaii
There are two issues here. Trash dumped by those both on land and sea- we have regular community shore clean ups for that- As for derelicts and low income housing- it used to be a bigger problem here in Hawaii but now they are requiring yearly buoy runs and inspections. As far as abandoned boats- the state has started working on getting rid of them-
I can see that the huge coast line in Florida makes this problematic.
The perception of people when they hear I live on a boat is either I'm a wealthy "yachty"or "trailer trash"
Nothing in between...
Old 03-11-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
It is reported in our local newspaper that cigarette stubbs are the worst culprit, along with plastic bags and containers. Our little community of Ladner has kicked off a campaign to clean up our inner harbour and make it more business freindly which not only includes the removal of derelict boats but derelict sheds and wharfs too. Looking forward to a more touristy environment.
The False Creek area of Vancouver Harbour has also enacted laws to deter derelect boats and impose time limits. This clears the harbour for anchoring space to accommodate real sailors who are visiting Vancouver, previously new arrivals could not find a clear space to anchor with all the derelict boats hanging about. Long overdue laws. I cringe whenever I arrive at a new harbour only to find it overpopulated with junk heaps, makes it difficult for myself and others like me to find a decent anchorage. I have even arrived only to find the marina itself in near derelict shape, Port Browning comes to mind, a diamond in the rough, if only a pair of deep pockets could come along and make it a class act. Great harbours/marinas attract great tourist money, why deter the tourist $$ with derelict blights. Get rid of them.
Old 03-12-2009

southernwind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to southernwind
Quote:
The real problem would probably be fuel & oil. The tanks need to be pumped out.
yea but fiberglass is listed as a hazardous material that is the real problem.

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-12-2009

southernwind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to southernwind
cruise ships and the city of new york dump their trash in the ocean I have often wondered how much of the trash on the beach is the result of this.

I have tried to get some of these boats and asked for help finding them to fix them up and was chastised beyond belief for wanting to do so. In fact I am still looking for a 32' range project.

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by southernwind; 03-12-2009 at 10:21 AM.