SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   derelict boats & the cruising community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/52252-derelict-boats-cruising-community.html)

xort 03-08-2009 10:07 AM

derelict boats & the cruising community

Cruisers are under attack by local governments trying to limit their stay.

One part of the arguement is the bum boats that become derelicts are a problem. I understand that Florida has quite a few derelicts. Abandonded boats cost a fair amount of money to remove, so they sit.

We don't have derelicts in my area but we do have 'stuff' that gets washed up along the shoreline. So a local dive shop has organized an annual spring shoreline cleanup. They recruit volunteers to pick up, dig up and haul out any and all junk, debris, trash, etc. They have removed countless tires plus batteries, car bumpers, coolers, even a couple of cars. Several communities have joined in by supplying a trash truck to come around and pick up the stuff on the designated Saturday.

My proposal is that cruisers could band together locally to work with the community and organize a cleanup of some of the abandoned boats. The local govt would first need to go through the permit process and declare the boats legally salvagable. Then the task would be to get out there with whatever can be had to remove as much as is feasable. Some boats will require much more than just a band of helping hands but there are many smaller boats that can be cut up and hauled off...by volunteers.

The under attack cruisers can make new friends with the communities they hang out with. And help the environment.

Heck, everybody is unemployed now, so what else have you got to do?

Just a thought...

buckeyesailor 03-08-2009 10:42 AM

Great Thought!.....I only wish I lived near the coast to pitch in....

PorFin 03-08-2009 11:47 AM

xort -- good thought.

I think some will resist the idea, and forecast that these marine volunteers will simply strip the abandoned vessels, and then leave the too-hard-to-recover bits for the authorities to deal with. Any concrete plan proposed should address this concern. If if the proceeds from everything of value taken from the vessels were to be given to a local charity (preferably marine related), that could go a long way towards selling the project.

The real genius of this effort will be to motivate the actual owners of marginal (but not hopeless) to deal with their issues BEFORE they become the eyesores and hazards that lie at the root of the problem. After several well-publicized recoveries, those owners will hopefully realize that the boat they are ignoring could well become only a distant memory.

You, sir, are an idea man!

quidam1947 03-08-2009 11:54 AM

Xtort,

We have an annual Ohio River Sweep day w/all volunteers (6/16/09 this year) that gets a fairly good turnout. And there are lots of these sort of efforts all over the country.

My dad taught us kids (9 of us) to pick up the crap others dumped behind and other hazards. AND He practiced what he preached.

I used to get home from school and after dumping my books, I'd jump in our rowboat or go sailing in my snark or dad's home-built daysailer -- if I personally saw stuff floating by, I'd snag it, toss it in the bottom of the boat (if I could handle it size-wise) or tie my painter to it (eg. logs, etc.) and make a quick trip to shore to beach it or when I was done having fun, toss it in our garbage cans before heading into the house for dinner.

I do this in parking lots today as well (pick up somebody else's trash and toss it in the appropriate receptical). It really agravates me to watch people liter by land or sea.

It would be nice if people didn't liter and if people took a few minutes to redirect the trash they come across along their paths.

bluwateronly 03-08-2009 11:55 AM

Sounds like a great idea, count me in. Here in the SF bay, Susalito has a few I have heard ,but not a big problem here.

quidam1947 03-08-2009 11:57 AM

After the hurricanes in South Florida there were an overwhelming number of boats (mostly tagged with spraypainted numbers for removal ID purposes). It was hearbreaking to think of the losses -- and I can appreciate the government's dilema in trying to handle so many damages on top of the damages to businesses and private property, as well.

xort 03-08-2009 03:51 PM

por

I suspect these abandonded boats are already stripped of anything of value.

The real problem would probably be fuel & oil. The tanks need to be pumped out.

It would not be anywhere as easy as a coastal cleanup picking up debris but it can be done.

PorFin 03-08-2009 04:13 PM

xort,

I suspect you're right about the really serious vessels being stripped already. I've often been amazed that some of the ones I've seen are still afloat.

CaptainForce 03-08-2009 08:47 PM

It's probably important to note that the specific problems in Florida are not often arising from cruisers, but people using boats of marginal seaworthiness as low income housing. The harsh winters further north don't allow for this practice, but it has been common in Florida for years. It is diffricult to block this opportunity from the otherwise homeless, but at the same time it might be wise to distinguish them from the boating community. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

xort 03-08-2009 08:50 PM

CForce

WE know that, but THEY don't know or don't care. We get lumped in to the same group.