Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffls View Post
Here is the scenario. I am quitting my job and my cousin is graduating from grad school, me in aug, him in june. Our plan is to go sailing for a month or two along the coastline. I live in savannah and we want to leave out end of Aug. Since it will be hurricane season we will have to plan carefully. We will probably head north since south is not so smart. Given aabout 2 months of cruising, your experiences, what would be a good itinerary or places to go?
I wouldn't go out there at the end of August. I rode out a hurricane some years back in Florida, and I won't be doing that again!
Hurricanes are unpredictable. You won't be able to move out of the way; they're too fast, too big, and they're knuckleballs.
Old 03-21-2009

jeffls is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jeffls
Hmm yes I had wondered about the dangers of leaving savannah in aug only to think I was planning the weather right and then get caught in a hurricane or strong tropical storm.

Another question, given the info so far is it a bad idea to think about bringing my dog? She has been on my jetboat but she prefered, if close to the shore, jumping off the boat and swimming to shore to watch me lol.

Is a dog just a plain bad idea when u wont be around shore for a few days at a time? She is a siberian husky and likes exercise and hates waves. I an answering my own question as I type but maybe there is some anecdotes that make me question my reason.
Old 03-21-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
The trouble is that huricane season is basically all summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I wouldn't go out there at the end of August. I rode out a hurricane some years back in Florida, and I won't be doing that again!
Hurricanes are unpredictable. You won't be able to move out of the way; they're too fast, too big, and they're knuckleballs.
As soon as you get a few days north the frequency goes WAY down. North Carolina is not Florida, and the Chesapeake itself sees few hurricanes; generally they are tropical storms by then, if they do not simply skip off-shore. To be honest, while you are in the Bay you may avoid a boomer back home in Georgia! The Bay gets few strong storms, and really none that cannot be ridden out at a sheltered marina (one that DOES NOT open straight to the Bay, like Herrington Harbor North) or good hurricane hole.

Selkirk is right about avoiding hurricanes in Florida; they often get 2 at a time and the tracks are confounding. However, by the time they get further north they move much more predictably and you are only tracking one storm. No, you can never plot a land fall, because they tend to skip along the coast, but you can generally plot the arrival time well. On a coastal trip, that is enough to get tied up and into a motel. One one of my trips we did adjust and hurry back in front of a tropical storm, but it only made for fast sailing. We could just as easily have waited 2 days, but the Bay is so full of hidey holes, we figured we would chose one if things got too testy.

Simply be conservative with the weather; never wait too long to seek shelter.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Hurricanes and dogs

I agree with PDQ. While I wouldn't plan to cruise in the Caribbean during hurricane season, a trip north would make plenty of sense. At some point we all have to take some risks to get the most out of life. For those of us who live north of the Mason/Dixon line, we would miss most of our sailing season if we didn't sail during hurricane season.

If you plan your trip right, with plenty of places to duck into, you should be able to find a reasonably safe spot (at least relative to Savannah) and ride it out in some shelter on land. PDQ is also correct that you usually have reasonably good notice of a risk of a storm. Use caution, but live life.

As for the dog, I wouldn't bring it. I love dogs, and have sailed with our 5.5 lb. Yorkie. The difference is our dog likes to stay inside and is paper trained. It is also very easy to keep her on a leash for her safety, and she would often sit on my wife's lap while we were actually sailing. I really think you are already taking on more responsibility than you are used to, and don't need the added distraction of the dog. Maybe after you have this trip under your belt, you could reconsider whether you want to take your dog on other trips.

If you are absolutely committed to taking the dog, I would start taking weekend (preferably long weekend) trips with the dog to get it adapted to cruising the way you want. Also, look for stories in sailing magazines/websites about people who have traveled with pets. I have read many good ones with good advice. Also, check and see if some pet books have advice on cruising with pets. Cruising books may also be a place to check out. I still think this trip should be about your having fun and having less distraction, but that's just me.

If you want to discuss in more detail, either respond to this or you can PM me. Have a great trip!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook