The cruising idea has been percolating away for the last several years and an idea is starting to emerge.
The current plan is to take a year off and cruise.
My question is: where is the best spot to shop for and buy a boat? I've thought about buying something in the great lakes, but I don't think that I'm that interested in consuming a lot of a year cruising going through the St. Lawrence seaway or the Erie canal. Some places I've considered are: Annapolis, Oriental, NC, Florida in general. I also just got back from a week in St. Martin. What about the option of buying a boat that is already down in the Caribbean?
If anyone has done anything similar to this, I'd be very interested in some words of advice.
Here is some background:
* 30 yrs old -- I want to do this now while I'm young
* Have some amount of cruising experience. Handful of charter trips in the great lakes and the Caribbean.
* Mainly interested in cruising the Caribbean islands
* I've saved up a fair chuck of change -- hopefully enough to buy a ~15 year old boat and cover expenses for a year -- at least based on the countless spreadsheets I've put together!
* I currently live in the landlocked Mid-West. Not the best place to shop for a boat. I'd probably return to the same area after cruising? (But who knows....)
* I'd buy the boat probably next summer, do the cruising and resale ~1.5 years later